Register Now
StaceyPowers

When is a playthrough of an open world game “done?”

54 minutes ago, Head_Hunter said:

At times I do ask myself if GTA San Francisco Andreas has levels? I never completed the game ever since I got my hands on it in 2010. 

You need to finish all the main story and side quest - it even has a completion tab so it can tell you how much percentage of the game you have already completed.

42 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

You need to finish all the main story and side quest - it even has a completion tab so it can tell you how much percentage of the game you have already completed.

Thanks for the update. I usually skip going to mission because I failed to follow the directions of the arrows simply making fun around the game, killing pedestrians anyhow taking their cash away, lol. 

This goes for as-a-service games moreso than open world ones (not that there's a great deal of difference today), but as others have said, play until you decide you don't want to. It's one of the chief merits and especially failings of such design, and is totally unavoidable: eventually players will either see everything and stop playing, or not see everything and stop playing. Neither provides a whole lot of satisfaction because they're not designed to. Finishing The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion quest 'An Unexpected Voyage' isn't a satisfying conclusion to that game if it's the very last quest to be done except from a completionist point of view, which I don't think really holds much weight. At the same time, trying in vain to complete all of what Fallout 4's bastardisation of 'emergent gameplay' isn't particularly satisfying either.

This is partly why I'm more for hub-based and linear games over open world ones, and even then, there's still valid arguments to be made about those. I just find that most games are too long anyway, and open world games can be lumped in with those as much as others that are in desperate need of an editor. So Sony, if you'd like to hire me to save you some money and development time, you can contact me on...

10 hours ago, m76 said:

When the main quest and all significant side quests are finished. I don't care about repetitive quests and other time wasters that don't have a worthwhile narrative attached to them.

Seriously - there is no essence in getting into those repetitive quests because their isn't anything worth doing in it over and over again. It bores me to death. 

7 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

It's only done when you don't want to play it anymore. You could finish all side quests, areas of the map, DLC, community challenges, extras content and challenges, play a bit on hardest difficulty, get all weapons and gear; when you have complete satisfaction. 

Exactly - everything is completely dependent on when you are no longer interested in still giving it a go, whether you finished all quests or not.