Register Now
StaceyPowers

When and why do you sleep in video games?

On 10/5/2021 at 2:22 AM, killamch89 said:

Yeah - it does. It heals your character completely...

I understand it heals them when you take them to sleep. And GTA San Andreas series has such kind of dialogue where you'll find your character scratching on his wounds, you can simply take him to treatment centre, from there is resting time. 

2 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I understand it heals them when you take them to sleep. And GTA San Andreas series has such kind of dialogue where you'll find your character scratching on his wounds, you can simply take him to treatment centre, from there is resting time. 

GTA V also has something similar to RDR2 where you're completely healed after saving. Although, unimmersive, it's a very handy one.

12 hours ago, killamch89 said:

GTA V also has something similar to RDR2 where you're completely healed after saving. Although, unimmersive, it's a very handy one.

That's tremendous feature in the game GTA V and RDR2, which gives me the option to rest and get healed after  incurring injuries. 

In earlier Elder Scrolls games, and some others off the top of my head, you couldn't level up until you'd gone to bed to meditate on what you'd learned. In a way it was like it's own "milestone experience" system, where until you'd survived the task at hand you couldn't learn from it.  Honestly, I find this one to be quite realistic in a sense. Before I was going out with my dearest, I had to go on a walk the following day to process all that I'd learnt from her, and how I would respond in a few day's time. Flirting with my dearest was nowhere near as arduous as missing scribs in Morrowind but the principle remains.

In Paper Mario, and I imagine this is a lot more typical, you can go to an inn to fully recover your health, flower power, and your star power.

So yes, I only really sleep if there's a mechanical necessity to it. If I can use a wait function without needing to catch forty winks, I shall do so also.

On 10/3/2021 at 5:39 PM, The Blackangel said:

I have Arthur lay down to sleep then when he wakes up, all his cores are healed. What's the confusion? What's funny?

I read the potential confusion as "I sleep because it refills my [as in the player] cores, and while that's going on, Arthur's sleeping." Kinda like a joke format that goes along the lines of, say in reference to Doom's synopsis, "I got locked in a room full of people and shot my way through them, and then I played Doom," the idea being that people think you're talking about events transpiring in the video game, the punchline being that it happened out of the game, and then they did something less spectacular in the game. I'm overexplaining it, and it's not as funny as the original version I fail to recall.

Edited by Withywarlock