Register Now
StaceyPowers

What actions by a developer would lose your trust?

There's a whole host of reasons why I no longer trust developers, individuals or studios. A few off the top of my head include:

• Godus Almighty. I could listen to Peter Molyneux talk about his plans for any game - even ones I'm not particularly interested in - all day, be it in an interview or an audiobook. None of his ideas are particularly bad, but their execution and the followup to that execution is what offends his fans, now-former fans, and people who just want to be angry.
  • Mighty Number Two. This is because he's not the one executing them; there's other factors involved such as people, budget, time, technical considerations, and other things I won't pretend to know about. And the more people there are involved, the less likely his artistic vision is going to be as he had intended, because the late Lionhead Studios didn't think to employ telepaths. But because Molyneux doesn't have the ability to do all of the things to make Fable on his own, he had to settle for his artistic vision actually being out there, and not in some sort of postmortem blog post. Even if it is stuck in Early Access for money, with someone doing weekly updates on the fact nothing's been updated in years.
  • Puke-a-Laylee. There's also the fact that Peter Molyneux hasn't inappropriately touched or harrassed his colleagues (that we know of.)

I use Molyneux here as an example because he's a man whose ideas I respect, but whose execution of them and treatment of customers to be abhorrent. The Molydeux parody character remains amusing because of this. With other companies and individuals I assume distrust, but I can still hold them to different ends of the spectrum: I can trust Blizzard Entertainment to make increasingly maddening decisions, and I can trust Obsidian to make a decent game at worst.

Edited by Withywarlock

1. Making an exclusivity deal with the epic store sacrificing reach for short term monetary gain, meaning they don't care how many people actually play their game as long as they get paid
  2. Sacrificing artistic vision for a lucrative deal Remedy entertainment selling Alan Wake and significantly scaling back the scope and technology behind the game to make it an XBOX360 exclusive
  3. Belittling, or  insulting the fans or the gaming community at large for example Adrian Chimleraz, Cliff Blezinsky, and various others.
  4. Using games as a political platform, by promoting political groups or ideologies through the game with no context, for example NFS Payback advertising politics in its in game news feed.
  5. Distancing themselves from their previous works, suggesting that they were somehow inappropriate or toxic, which implies that the people liking those games are also toxic.

25 minutes ago, m76 said:

Sacrificing artistic vision for a lucrative deal Remedy entertainment selling Alan Wake and significantly scaling back the scope and technology behind the game to make it an XBOX360 exclusive

I never knew that. That's disappointing to hear, as I really liked that game. 😞

59 minutes ago, m76 said:
  1. Making an exclusivity deal with the epic store sacrificing reach for short term monetary gain, meaning they don't care how many people actually play their game as long as they get paid
  2. Using games as a political platform, by promoting political groups or ideologies through the game with no context, for example NFS Payback advertising politics in its in game news feed.

This is Epic Games and Fortnite personified. EA has implemented political references in their game before such as Battlefield V which also failed miserably.

9 minutes ago, Head_Hunter said:

Not all suggestions made by customers are even taken into consideration by the video game developers. They simply drop more than 90% of the wish-list simply going with the one pleasing to them. 

Actually different gamers will have different requirements. They can't listen to each one of them. but at least they should understand what majority of the gaming community wants from them. Just what has not been heard by EA and Ubisoft.

4 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

Actually different gamers will have different requirements. They can't listen to each one of them. but at least they should understand what majority of the gaming community wants from them. Just what has not been heard by EA and Ubisoft.

EA and Ubisoft are simply doing what's more pleasing to them more especially and not considering the wish-list of those playing the works of their hands (video games). Let's watch how the future will be around this two gaming companies, if they'll improve or not. 

On 10/4/2021 at 7:47 AM, Head_Hunter said:

EA and Ubisoft are simply doing what's more pleasing to them more especially and not considering the wish-list of those playing the works of their hands (video games). Let's watch how the future will be around this two gaming companies, if they'll improve or not. 

I doubt they'll improve - Ubisoft is going all in on F2P and EA will only get worse with time so there isn't much hope on that front.

On 10/6/2021 at 1:26 AM, killamch89 said:

I doubt they'll improve - Ubisoft is going all in on F2P and EA will only get worse with time so there isn't much hope on that front.

Ubisoft made Assassins creed and other scintillating games. Do you think they are joining Konami efootball into F2P? 

On 10/8/2021 at 1:17 PM, Head_Hunter said:

Ubisoft made Assassins creed and other scintillating games. Do you think they are joining Konami efootball into F2P? 

Yes - Ubisoft already announced earlier this year that they'll be jumping on the F2P bandwagon as well starting with Assassin's creed. That's why there was such an uproar when they said it.