Register Now
Crazycrab

Netflix Buys Night School Studios

514d4a7bf0708050d9b38a2688cf99b3.jpg

I think this is an interesting development.  The online streaming service Netflix has just acquired it's first gaming studio, Night School Studios. 

https://kotaku.com/netflix-acquires-oxenfree-dev-as-its-first-game-studio-1847763973/amp

This is the studio behind some acclaimed independent games like Afterparty, Oxenfree and it's up and coming sequel Oxenfree II: Lost Signals.

It seems that Oxenfree II is still being developed for it's original platforms (PS4, PS5, Nintendo Switch and Steam) but what do you think this holds for the future?  Will we be seeing games like Oxenfree steaming on Netflix?  Will they be exclusive?  Will they be included in the current Netflix subscription or will there another fee/subscription model?  Share your thoughts.

Edited by Shagger

This is truly interesting news but not entirely surprising as they were getting into the game streaming industry and most companies at least have one studio. I'm definitely interested in seeing how this will turn out. As long as Netflix doesn't promise anything outlandish, they should do just fine as Netflix is already a major media platform.

When ever a movie or video game enters into Netflix platform then it shows that, such video game or movie is superb, that's exactly why the options you listed got into Netflix. Because Netflix are looking to make money with those games by displaying it via Livestream so customers can subscribe and start streaming. 

Online streaming ruined cable tv, and eventually it will ruin gaming. The good ol days is when cable and internet were separate. Now it’s tied into your internet usage taking up a big portion of gigabytes if you wanted to stream anything. How exactly will Netflix stream the games to a console? I'm thinking this will increase competition in streaming for PC users which is a good thing; but ultimately a negative for the future of gaming since we all know everything will be subscription based with different games for each subscription. Then Amazon will roll in and topple it all some more. And all them rural satellite folk, faced with streaming shows and games, won't ever have enough gb for what they want. So they will have to pay more for their internet to add more gb package. Every gamer will have at least 3 monthly subscriptions just to get some games they want. As if a monthly cell phone bill and internet wasn't expensive enough. Now you have monthly bills for all your separate entertainment needs. Man, the simple days of internet and cable for under $100 a month is going to be missed dearly. 

I would guess Netflix's infrastructure isn't optimized for latency or computing. They would have to invest a lot of money if they want to be streaming games, they would then have to spend a whole lot more for content. So they are looking at games now as well as what they are known for?

Like anything else they are getting bigger and owning more

3 minutes ago, Empire said:

I would guess Netflix's infrastructure isn't optimized for latency or computing. They would have to invest a lot of money if they want to be streaming games, they would then have to spend a whole lot more for content. So they are looking at games now as well as what they are known for?

Like anything else they are getting bigger and owning more

I heard some chatter a while back about Netflix forming some kind of partnership with Sony.  Possibly some kind of merger with their PS Now service, I'm not sure though.

14 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I heard some chatter a while back about Netflix forming some kind of partnership with Sony.  Possibly some kind of merger with their PS Now service, I'm not sure though.

Yeah - the reports rumored that they could work together to introduce a new gaming service. I think we even discussed it a few months back if I'm not mistaken.

20 hours ago, skyfire said:

Considering the amazon prime now has channels system. I am sure netflix is rattled and want to get into the gaming. 

Not really, Netflix still has the dominant and most successful series of shows so Amazon isn't really giving them much competition yet.

On 10/7/2021 at 10:51 AM, Justin11 said:

Netflix simply wants to keep on their dominance as the best online streaming platform. Seeing them acquiring the rights of Night tale shows how visionary they are. 

In terms of other media, they're the dominant force but they'll face far more competition in the gaming industry with Xbox Gamepass and others around.

7 hours ago, killamch89 said:

In terms of other media, they're the dominant force but they'll face far more competition in the gaming industry with Xbox Gamepass and others around.

Competition is always welcomed, because it makes others to introduce new features and not make things more favourable to themselves alone.