Register Now
The Blackangel

4 or more pages

Why is it that when I come here in the mornings there are always 4+ pages of posts in the General Gaming section? Am I away from the forum longer than a day without realizing it? None of the other boards are massively posted on like this. I answer 3-4 posts in this influx, and then just click the button to mark it read.

Am I missing something?

I said it before that to many people here just "post for points," some borderline spam the forum posting the same things in almost identical threads over and over.  General gaming isn't the only one affected either. I've even made complaints about to the moderators but they don't seem to care.  As far as their concerned it's more traffic for the website.  At least I know not only one who's getting sick of it.

5 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I said it before that to many people here just "post for points," some borderline spam the forum posting the same things in almost identical threads over and over.  General gaming isn't the only one affected either. I've even made complaints about to the moderators but they don't seem to care.  As far as their concerned it's more traffic for the website.  At least I know not only one who's getting sick of it.

Despite saying it several times, I can't seem to get this through to some people. As long as what people are posting is within the rules, they can post as much as they like. Nobody, including myself and @DC, have the right to tell anyone they post "too much" just because people like yourself and @The Blackangel feel inconvenienced by the forum being busier.

I know why people like yourself and  @The Blackangel are complaining about this better than anyone. It's not like I enjoy going through page after page of recent activity looking for suspicious posts. I do that because I have to and do it without complaint because it's a good thing for the forum to be busier, to have more traffic. Yes, I'm ready to believe some people post more spuriously to earn more points, but the system is set up to reward people for being active and we're not about to change it just because a minority of our members feel inconvenienced by the forum being busy.

The other problem with members complaining about this is that other people need not be burdened to the same extent as I am. Again, I've said this several times, but once again people can follow topics and even individual members to keep track of new content that interests you. If anyone does choose to "scan" the forum for new posts the same why I have to using the recent activity tab, the burden of doing so is also a choice of your own and there's nothing that I nor @DC can do to help you.

To make this crystal clear. VGR staff will NOT order nor encourage people to post more or less often for any reason, least of all for other people's convenience, not even our own. What I will do is propose ideas to @DC to help make the forum easier to navigate now that is a bit busier than it used to be. For example, I think one simple thing that could help would be to increase the amount of topics that show per-page so one wouldn't have to go through as many pages of topics in order to get caught up. If anyone has other ideas, let's hear them, but we are not going to encourage people to post less.

Edited by Shagger

I'm not saying it's an inconvenience, nor am I saying that I want people to post more or less. I don't own the forum, and I'm not any part of staff anywhere. I'm just a regular member the same as everyone else here. When there are page after page of new posts in a board, I often find several threads that are new to me that I reply to. I'm just griping, and wondering if others come here and find multiple backed up pages of threads, or if it's something that's entirely on my end that I need to check within my settings.

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do, because I honestly don't give a shit what they do. Within the forum, that's for you and @DC to worry about. Unless for some wild reason I become a mod (0.5% chance of that happening) then I don't have to concern myself with any of it. But I do have the privilege of making a post to bitch about something. I know that posting here is not a right, it's a privilege. Anyone and everyone can be banned, and we all have the ability to leave and never come back. But I enjoy this place, and have gotten to know everyone here rather well, so I plan on staying.

But I still have the right to an opinion, and this thread is just to bitch about something that irks me.

I have noticed this and have been thinking about if/how to address it. I understand both your perspective @The Blackangel but also @Shagger's as well.

I could introduce a flood control, increase number of threads per page, and introduce posting limitations like X posts per 24 hours. I am still considering the options but want to let you know that I am actively thinking about how to best address this.

20 minutes ago, DC said:

I have noticed this and have been thinking about if/how to address it. I understand both your perspective @The Blackangel but also @Shagger's as well.

I could introduce a flood control, increase number of threads per page, and introduce posting limitations like X posts per 24 hours. I am still considering the options but want to let you know that I am actively thinking about how to best address this.

People who post in a more spurious nature tend to do so in bursts, so imposing a post limit over 24 hours will most likely lead to them hitting a limit and then be left out of interacting with the community, possibly for hours, and I feel that will just make people feel unwanted. A better strategy imo would be to impost a limit over much a shorter proud of time. Whereas a longer period of limited posts would just simple stop people interacting on the forum completely for hours at a time, a shorter period of limited posts, lets say, no more that 4 posts every 10 minutes (that's only an example, what the figures should actually be requires more thght than that), would encourage people to use that time and put more thought into what they, basically making more quality posts, rather than rushing out one sentence posts every few seconds for the next half an hour. With that, nobody is ever "not allowed" to post on the site, but should still improve of the quality of what people post.

Edited by Shagger

3 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I think an instant chat box can help because a lot of times it is back and forth small talk. But that requires extra modding so may not be suitable. 

I get the propose of the idea, but I don't think it work because we actually already have a system the covers that purpose already. That being the public message system on member's profiles;

image_2021-10-04_191726.png.3a2e3ea15790cb1201060d74146a76f1.png

And, for one reason or another, people barely seem to use it. So, I don't see many people using a chatbot either.

5 hours ago, Shagger said:

I get the propose of the idea, but I don't think it work because we actually already have a system the covers that purpose already. That being the public message system on member's profiles;

image_2021-10-04_191726.png.3a2e3ea15790cb1201060d74146a76f1.png

And, for one reason or another, people barely seem to use it. So, I don't see many people using a chatbot either.

To be honest, I have seen it before but I always forget it's there. I agree that chatbot wouldn't be effective.