Register Now
StaceyPowers

Taking time to slow down while gaming

Yes, I find myself doing that at times. That's actually what starts straining my eyes because I'm looking around too much too fast. And it makes gaming have a distancing effect instead of immersion. Sometimes I know I have to move on and it's easy to fall into the fast play. Sometimes I even think about getting somewhere before the sun sets or before the sun comes back up. I have to stop myself and look at my surroundings. Many times the in game music motivates me to slow down and soak things in. But when the music cuts out, and I start fighting, looting, riding, etc. I've got to remember to enjoy myself before I give myself a headache. 

It does happen to me, not always, maybe once in a blue moon 😉 While flying in MSFS2020, doing a two hours flight, and as I'm flying I'm rushing to get on the ground and close the simulator to get onto another game. At times rushing the game is not an good idea, you tend to miss things out and then you have to redo it again another time. When I rush, there is a point to why I'm doing it. Gotta be an reason on why.

Not necessarily, no. I often like a change of pace, and this is something I appreciate in Paper Mario: going to the shops between battles and chapters. I enjoy the 'shopping session' in tabletop RPGs (Cyberpunk 2020 and Shadowrun are king in this regard), and I enjoy them in video games also when the opportunity presents itself. Less fun in Paper Mario is selling off one's hard-earned loot, and there's not a whole lot of coin to go around either, but in other games I love doing it especially if loot is levelled, such as in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and V: Skyrim.

17 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

That's actually what starts straining my eyes because I'm looking around too much too fast.

I find myself appreciating physical media as I play D&D online now, the eye strain gets too much switching from on-screen book to on-screen battle map to on-screen character sheet to... this is probably why I choose to write notes on lined paper for video recaps rather than in WordPad. There's cons to digital that people are quick to overlook, when it takes time to realise that they exist.

5 hours ago, Joshua Farrell said:

It does happen to me time to time. Sometimes I just want to be able to beat what I am playing, as fast as possible. The good thing about me doing that, is that I don't do it frequently enough to make it hard to keep track of what is going on elsewhere in the game.

Its nice as you've decided to take it bit by bit, so you don't lose your guard on the game. Rushing the game to rack up the level at times makes the game weird because we aren't enjoying it bit by bit, we are simply looking up to the finishing line and nothing more. 

I'm rushing through games that I like too much, and games that I don't like enough.  I'll explain:

If I'm invested in the story of a game I tend to rush a bit in anticipation of the next big story event. For example TLOU2.

And I tend to rush games where I find the mechanics weak, and I don't particularly enjoy playing the game. But not as bad to make me quit: Currently this is FarCry6, but FarCry5 was in a similar place also.

On 10/7/2021 at 2:29 AM, Joshua Farrell said:

It does happen to me time to time. Sometimes I just want to be able to beat what I am playing, as fast as possible. The good thing about me doing that, is that I don't do it frequently enough to make it hard to keep track of what is going on elsewhere in the game.

I typically like to take things slower so that I can enjoy the game I'm currently playing and all its activities. I only ever truly start rushing when I'm close to the end of a game and I'm getting tired of playing it so I just rush through to the end.

19 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

I take it step by step, I don't rush in with video games which I love, because it wouldn't make me enjoy the action packed events. I bought a game to satisfy my curiosity and not just to level up. 

I totally agree with this...

1 hour ago, Justin11 said:

Games should be for the satisfaction and not simply to reach higher levels and finish up fast. 

Most of us agree with that but there are some people who are extremely competitive so they'll always want to finish it quickly and max out everything in-game.

59 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Most of us agree with that but there are some people who are extremely competitive so they'll always want to finish it quickly and max out everything in-game.

No doubt buddy, everything you said is true. Everyone isn't like me that doesn't love finishing levels, their are competitive gamers that will simply love it finishing levels swiftly and still enjoying the gameplay.