Register Now
StaceyPowers

Does limited disk space inconvenience you?

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

One terabyte hard drives definitely can't help you much when it comes to COD games. One update is like 100GB - like what the hell is in these games?

Hmm, I really don't know what's containing in such kind of game. In rather have the game left out of my one terabyte console dubce it simply wants to suck off my ROM space. 

On 10/9/2021 at 12:58 AM, killamch89 said:

It's always freaking Call Of Duty that takes up most of the memory! Seriously, what is in these games?

I think it is partially publisher and developer bullshit, which I'll get to in a bit, but there is some technical reasons for this.  The main reason why Call of Duty's file sizes are so large is because they tend to use uncompressed files for audio and various other things.  There actually some pro's to this.  Using compressed files reduces the disk space required but it also increases the workload on the CPU.  It has to "unpack" the files in the same way that you would if you were opening up a Zip file using WinZip or something.  Which in a fast paced shooter like Call of Duty is not desirable.

With that being said I do think Activision are being a bit fly.  By allowing their games to be so large they are making it more difficult for the end user to install any of their competitors on your system.  You wanna play the latest Battlefield and Call of Duty but don't got enough space?  WELL TOUGH! You gotta delete our game and go through the pain in the ass process of downloading it again next time you wanna play!  It's so dastardly I almost kind of admire it.

On 10/7/2021 at 1:34 AM, killamch89 said:

As a PC player, not really because in addition to installing another hard drive to rectify the issue, I can also use Flash Drives/other storage devices to store my games.

Yeah, it's something that's good when it comes to being into PC gaming. Space is never really going to be much of a problem. 

On 10/8/2021 at 12:43 AM, killamch89 said:

Agreed - it is a very versatile platform that is great for almost any technological task on a daily basis.

It's actually why most PC gamers find it very hard to switch back to playing on console for obvious reasons. 

21 hours ago, Justin11 said:

PC storage space is also limited. Unless you own those ones that is 1 terabyte in storage drive. That's when you'll enjoy having lots of games without running quick out of storage space. 

The good part of it is that you can always have an extra external drive of any size to back up your PC. 

23 hours ago, Justin11 said:

PC storage space is also limited. Unless you own those ones that is 1 terabyte in storage drive. That's when you'll enjoy having lots of games without running quick out of storage space. 

What happens to flash drives and hard drives for added external extra storage space? 

Like in terms of not having enough space for the games you want to install? idk, I have about 1TB in storage on my Xbox One, and most of the time it's filled up. But there are so many games I don't play, that I'd be fine deleting some to make room. So it's never really a bother for me. 

On 1/21/2022 at 4:28 PM, Kane99 said:

Like in terms of not having enough space for the games you want to install? idk, I have about 1TB in storage on my Xbox One, and most of the time it's filled up. But there are so many games I don't play, that I'd be fine deleting some to make room. So it's never really a bother for me. 

Some gamers have this attachment with any games they have already installed that they can't delete them easily. My junior brother is like that..