Register Now
killamch89

Would you rather make your child learn more languages or more moral values?

On 10/13/2021 at 9:23 AM, ZandraJoi said:

I will pick moral values. You can accept the person even if you don't accept what they do or believe in it yourself. Tolerance & Respect has to go both ways. Many people tend to forget that. 

So true and what you're left with is a bunch of snowflakes who believe that everyone must think one way.

Morality is unique to every person. What I consider good, you may consider evil. What I consider evil, you may consider good. So I would prefer my child learn multiple languages. As long as they had common sense, their sense of morality wouldn't be skewed far off. A parent can lead and guide, but they can't and shouldn't dictate. That goes for religion as well. Let the kid decide what they believe, and if they find a religion that is in line with their honest beliefs, let them join it. As long as it isn't Scientology.

My experience having been a nanny for several families who were raising children with multiple languages is that children pretty much only refuse a language in 2 circumstances - a) they have negative experiences in that language like that side of the family is unwelcoming to them, or they get bullied in that language, or something like that, which means they start associating that language with feeling unhappy.

If you start from their infancy age to teach them different languages, definitely they'll grasp. Provided you're communicating it constantly with them, you can employ gaffers who studied different languages to handle your kids on that. But, learning so many languages doesn't matter much, what matters to me is the value you add to your children, moral values matters alot. 

On 5/9/2022 at 5:51 PM, Heatman said:

I would rather have my child have both. To learn more languages and also learn or have more moral values will definitely serve more good. 

Of course the ideal scenario is both but I was just gauging which one you guys would prioritize if you had to make a choice.

I came across something very interesting in AC Odyssey- Socrates Trial. Socrates said he doesn't want books written about the things he says because then people will constantly repeat those words w/o fully understanding it and use it in other ways. He said the student should always question the teacher as that is the only way to learn. So being taught or learning moral values is meaningless when it isn't questioned. Being taught moral values is moral to whom? I would teach my child to question everything. Free thinking is the most hated virtue among men. 

15 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I came across something very interesting in AC Odyssey- Socrates Trial. Socrates said he doesn't want books written about the things he says because then people will constantly repeat those words w/o fully understanding it and use it in other ways. He said the student should always question the teacher as that is the only way to learn. So being taught or learning moral values is meaningless when it isn't questioned. Being taught moral values is moral to whom? I would teach my child to question everything. Free thinking is the most hated virtue among men. 

I also want to add that other philosophers in the trial were saying that records of the teacher are needed so that the student can surpass the teacher by allowing them the time to discover their own opinions to add to what was already documented. 

On 5/31/2022 at 8:26 PM, killamch89 said:

Of course the ideal scenario is both but I was just gauging which one you guys would prioritize if you had to make a choice.

If that's the case then, what's the essence of knowing so many languages but you lack moral values? The whole languages is useless. There's no arguments there. Moral values keeps you a better person.