Register Now
PGen98

Is the Series S/X the Last Xbox Console?

We hear this every generation now, but it's hard to deny that consoles are getting closer and closer to PC specs when they're released, and then subsequently re-released with the more powerful version later in the generation.  Many speculated the One X would be the final console MS released, but of course we saw that was not the case as the Series S/X released, as well.  What are your thoughts on these possibly being the last consoles Microsoft releases?  I think it's a possibility, but ultimately unlikely.  There's a lot to be said for console gaming even still, so I think there's still another generation out there after this, but then....well, I think that might do it for Microsoft's run in the game.  Sony and Nintendo still have a lot to offer, I think, but MS can push people to PC and not lose market share.  So, for me, I'm thinking they'll do one more generation and stop.  How about you all?

There might be another generation for Sony and Nintendo but maybe not Microsoft.  Microsoft are already kinda focusing more on XBox being a "Platform" rather than a console.  So I think we'll probably see an upgraded version of the Series X down the line but after that they will just focus publishing on Windows PC, the existing XBox Hardware and maybe streaming games in the cloud.

It would seem that Xbox are looking towards their console being for almost everything and not just being a console for playing games. So far that does seem to be working really well for them and I do feel that if things keep going the way they are, they may not need to release another console like that but will just update their console when they need to. I honestly feel the only thing missing when it comes to Xbox is a handheld and that may be something they may consider dropping at some point whilst keeping the current console up to date. I am someone who has wanted a handheld from Xbox for a long time though, but I feel if they did want to release another console so to speak at any time, handheld would be the way to go.

I don't think it's going to be their last. What I think the outcome will be, is a combination of streaming and gamepass. There will be a new Xbox one day, but I think they will focus on supporting Gamepass even more and will also try to get streaming out of the box. This way, they wouldn't have to make powerful devices to play games. Which I think is the direction they're going. They will still make devices, but they will be smaller and more compact than current Xbox consoles, and will probably be all digital and streaming. 

I think they'll make two types of console, one that can handle the bigger games, and one that would be meant just for streaming. I think that's the future Xbox will go in. 

I still think the s should’ve been clocked higher at the very least . We’re already seeing some games like dying light 2 and control go down to 900p just to get 60fps. The s has very low clocks for an rdna 2 gpu and it would’ve been nice to see some higher clocks or the same gpu clock as series x atleast! That wouldn’t cost them any more money to do and would only slightly increase power draw . It would also boost the performance of series s by about 12-15% if they matched series x clocks

Probably not. I don't really think we'll see the death of traditional full-sized home consoles until it becomes possible to achieve stable 4K/60 photorealistic gameplay on hybrid consoles (such as a future Switch or Steam Deck). I think 4K is as far down the resolution rabbithole as the general market is willing to go, seeing as you need a giant TV to get any benefit out of 8K. But realistically, 4K/60 photorealistic gameplay on a hybrid console isn't that far off. I think that threshold will be reached by the middle of 10th gen, and then by 12th gen, the market will be dominated by hybrid consoles and smaller-form-factor NUC-style consoles.

I don't think it's their last. Too many people prefer console over PC gaming. Not to mention that the Xbox is a beast in the market with its only rivals being the PlayStation and Nintendo. What I can see them doing is putting out hybrid games that can run on both PC and Xbox consoles. Pop the disc in either (or both) and you're ready to go. There's a minuscule chance that they may try their hand at a portable, but that's still highly unlikely. And considering some of the exclusives that they now own, it would be foolish to not continue in the console market.