Register Now
PGen98

What Do You Think Comes Next for Nintendo?

Nintendo are and always have been comfortable going their own way with console designs and decisions, and it's worked well for them, mostly.  The Wii U was definitely a sort of beta test for what would become the Switch, a good idea refined and released properly.  I love the Switch, it works well as a console, works well as a handheld and it it's got some fantastically fun games on it. But what do you think they'll do next?  I think they will eventually make the long-rumoured Pro version of the Switch, but it will be interesting to see what a next generation Switch will be.  Do they keep going with the hybrid console approach? Expand on it to include other possible use cases?  It's interesting to think about what they'll do next!

I’m pretty sure Nintendo’s next system will be some form of enhanced Switch. Nintendo consistently engages in an iteration-innovation cycle. If a system is wildly successful, it gets a direct successor.

It’s always hard to predict Nintendo, but this has been a fairly consistent pattern. And the Nintendo Switch is undoubtedly a wildly successful system.

I've always preferred Nintendo as the console, controllers, games tend to be more user-friendly. I would hope they continue to listen to their customers & keep making it that way. They need to find their own groove in the gaming world. People don't want the same ol' system that others have to offer. If they do a version of Switch, they have to really kick it up a notch to make it different.

In all honesty, I don’t know where they even can go. They have done pretty much everything in their approach to gaming. There’s not a whole lot left that would be innovative enough to try. And absolutely nothing that I can think of. The only thing left for gaming companies is to make a console with a more powerful processor than their previous console. But after a while, gamers will get bored as hell when that’s the only difference between them.

I feel with Nintendo they are always so unpredictable with what they may release next or where they may take their consoles next. I feel with the Nintendo Switch being such a huge success for them, a console that takes the Switch but makes it a little more powerful maybe would be a good way for them to go. Saying that, when I sit here and think of the Switch, I honestly cannot think of any ways they would possibly be able to go even better but, Nintendo are always out for surprising us. I guess in time we will find out where they take their console next. 

20 hours ago, Shortie said:

I feel with Nintendo they are always so unpredictable with what they may release next or where they may take their consoles next. I feel with the Nintendo Switch being such a huge success for them, a console that takes the Switch but makes it a little more powerful maybe would be a good way for them to go. Saying that, when I sit here and think of the Switch, I honestly cannot think of any ways they would possibly be able to go even better but, Nintendo are always out for surprising us. I guess in time we will find out where they take their console next. 

The future of the Switch is just a more upgraded one. I think Nintendo found a niche that they fit perfectly in. They have a handheld and a console in one, it defeats the purpose of having to make a secondary handheld for the market at this point (like a Gameboy/DS/3DS for example). Nintendo could easily make new versions of the Switch, and just upgrade the hardware. That's what I see them doing going forward. There's no point to go back to making handhelds and consoles separate. They can have all of their games grace one console, and don't have to waste money running multiple devices on their system. 

Nintendo will continue to make the switch going forward with just upgraded hardware.