Register Now
StaceyPowers

What can make an MMO stagnant?

On 10/13/2021 at 9:56 PM, killamch89 said:
  1. Lack Of Support
  2. Inability to properly stop hacking/cheating/modding/glitching
  3. Aggressive microtransaction system
  4. extremely buggy game

Yes, all you said it's simply the answer no need going further expressing or detailing what really kept MMO players stagnated. 

Stagnant implies there's no movement and is becoming foul as a result, so really the simple answer would be that it's not doing anything. This has been the case with World of Warcraft of late, where people can go nearly a year without new major content but are expected to pay £9.99 per month, which can no longer be justified as server maintenance when the game's netcode is off (which can't be blamed given how much the game has to process; WoW 2 looks better each day for that reason.)

WoW's an astonishing case study for MMO stagnation. My observations are as follows:

• Faction Borefare: World of Warcraft is about the Horde. Something within the Horde happens, the Alliance assist, and ultimately the Horde decides to deal with it in house. The Alliance politics are as follows: Genn Greymane gets mad at Sylvanas. Tyrande is either mad or calm depending on if Sylvanas or the Fel are about. Anduin must choose between being a Paladin or a Warrior, and ends up becoming a Paladin. It's been like that since at least Christie Golden's novel The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm, which I enjoyed very much, but I feel so sorry for Alliance players who have to suffer that. The Horde has the same story every expansion (see above) but at least each of the faction leaders have their role to play, besides the leader of the Huojin Pandaren.
  • One, two, lootin' my shoes. World of Warcraft is about raiding. Every activity, no matter how minor, has the sole purpose of getting you into raids. The exceptions being things like pet battles or the Darkmoon Faire, which have universal acclaim despite the former being branded as a Pokémon ripoff (which it is, but at least it rips off something good.) Even PvP at several points has been a recommended means of gearing up for raids, or being part of the Mists of Pandaria legendary cloak. Every profession has a purpose in raiding, but is rarely used outside of that activity besides to level said profession up to be raid-ready. Major content that's added is a raid, maybe a dungeon (solely to be done in Mythic difficulty of course) and that's it. Why PvPers stay is beyond me; I only play for casual Alterac Valley skirmishes.
  • The Game Begins at Endgame. World of Warcraft is about getting to the highest level. Nothing prior to it matters. Even its players agree that your experiences before then are worthless as they herald "the game begins at endgame." The problem with this is it doesn't, and shouldn't, because the endgame changes every 2-4 years, and since the Cataclysm expansion there's been a decrease in what you get in your endgame, and your monthly subscription fee. Ask any player when was the last time they did a raid in a previous expansion that wasn't for transmogrification item purposes, and chances are it'll have been during that previous expansion. The moment new content comes out, both the players and designers agree it is pointless. The devs shoehorn in catch-up mechanics, and the content locusts gobble them up and complain further.

Those're just a few observations. I'd write more but it's way past my bed time and I need to go for a walk tomorrow morning to let out some of this venom.