Register Now
StaceyPowers

How did you end up playing the main platform that you do?

How did you end up playing the main platform that you do? Did you choose it for a specific, deliberate reason? Was it the hardware? The games? Or did you end up on it by coincidence? I ended up on PlayStation by coincidence, as a neighbor loaned me theirs and then sold it to me--but I'd have picked it anyway just for TLOU.

To be fair, I had been playing PC games for years but I was primary console gamer until in 2011, I wanted to mod GTA San Andreas and my PS3 didn't have the capability. So, I just decided to build a PC so I could enjoy it and as they say, the rest is history. I've been a PC gamer ever since.

My first system was a Colecovision, but then the NES hit the market, and I desperately wanted one. After that I was hooked by Nintendo. I was loyal to them up through the N64. I hated the Game Cube and Wii both. I never owned a Virtual Boy, and never even bothered to waste my time on a Wii U. But despite branching out to other systems, I'm still mainly a Nintendo fan.

I went from Sega to PlayStation, to Xbox, and back to PlayStation.

I loved the Xbox 360, but the early iterations of the console were nightmarishly unreliable. I must have got struck with RROD on no less than x4 occasions, as well as a faulty DVD drive. Then when my slim console got banned from Xbox LIVE for taking advantage of a marketplace region 'exploit' for a handful of free games, I decided that I'd had enough and decided to move back across to the PlayStation. I haven't looked back since.

It essentially began with The Elder Scrolls Online. I've always been a console player so playing this particular MMO on PC was - at the time - simply out of the question. I decided on a Sony Playstation 4 because of its greater hardware specs and a few games that interested me. It fell out of my favour as several games were delayed and the controller wasn't doing it for me. Whilst waiting for TESO to get its backside in gear with a release date, I swapped that console for the Microsoft Xbox One, and I found myself satisfied with Titanfall and other games to keep me occupied. Plus I felt guilty owning a PS4 knowing I wouldn't be able to play Sunset Overdrive, which - like all but one game in 2014 - would go on to disappoint me. ESO was further delayed. I traded in the Xbox One upon having played all it had to offer, and put the money toward a poorly put together system that barely out-performed an Xbox 360.

The thing is, I already had a massive Steam library and I could play World of Warcraft at a framerate higher than 15 per second. The savings from game sales were passed on, and I could save more money for a better PC a few years later.

Mounting disappointment in the console space, an all-purpose machine and an overwhelmingly greater choice of games in one place has made me stick to PC ever since. It's not without its own problems, but I'm long over caring about them. By the time Valve u-turns on its stance on DRM (or publishers force them to) and whatever other cynical views I have come to pass, I'll be long out of the hobby.

On 10/15/2021 at 4:39 PM, Oblivion Knight said:

I went from Sega to PlayStation, to Xbox, and back to PlayStation.

I loved the Xbox 360, but the early iterations of the console were nightmarishly unreliable. I must have got struck with RROD on no less than x4 occasions, as well as a faulty DVD drive. Then when my slim console got banned from Xbox LIVE for taking advantage of a marketplace region 'exploit' for a handful of free games, I decided that I'd had enough and decided to move back across to the PlayStation. I haven't looked back since.

That's quite a journey for you moving all over to still end up back on Playstation. Xbox is good but it's not what I'd get into, it's only PC I can upgrade from PS to. 

6 hours ago, Boblee said:

I'm targeting getting my hands on any Xbox series consoles. I'm yet to play on any of it but it's only a matter of time till I get one, even it means to borrow one. 

Xbox series X is the latest new console franchise in the Xbox series. I am a play station fan i am in love with PS5 but it's simply out of reach for me due to its price tag. 

1 hour ago, Head_Hunter said:

My friend made me own a video game console in 2010. I hired the game from him, and later exchanged my mobile phone to his PS2 console, that's where the journey started for me. 

This is kind of a unique one but I can see why you'd give up your mobile device at the time.