Register Now
StaceyPowers

What games would you give a perfect score as a reviewer?

So long as I've been a professional reviewer, zero, because that wasn't my trade when Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was new, and those are some of the few games that would get my overwhelmingly bias 5/5, which is what they're reserved for. However, when I do a personal review of something such as on The Backloggery, I've given three games a five-star review, the first being Yakuza 0. The next two are Paper Mario and I may end up knocking down Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door simply because I don't find it as legendary, despite its status within the community (and my nostalgia which matched others'.)

My scoring system is essentially 4-stars, and goes as follows:

1. A technically bad game I didn't enjoy.
  2. A technically bad game I did enjoy / a technically good game I didn't enjoy.
  3. A technically good game I did enjoy / a technically bad game I greatly enjoyed.
  4. A technically good game I greatly enjoyed.
  5. Unreachable god-tier.

I find five-stars to be more managable than 10 or out-of-100 because they lack consistency between sites, editors, and reviewers,and my criteria are easy enough to measure. It also prevents score inflation. A 2/5 is still a good game in one sense or another, and honestly, between that and a 5/5, that's the score to trust if you read any of mine. But then you are supposed to read the text that reaches the conclusion of it getting its score.

Edited by Withywarlock

1. MGS 4/MGS 3
  2. GTA San Andreas
  3. Deus Ex Mankind Divided
  4. TLOU
  5. Need For Speed Most Wanted (original)
  6. MK Trilogy
  7. Super Smash Brothers Melee
  8. Batman Arkham City
  9. DMC (original)
  10. COD: Modern Warfare

I could name a few more but I'm keeping this list to ten games and they aren't in any particular order but these were very wholesome games for me.

22 hours ago, killamch89 said:
  1. MGS 4/MGS 3
  2. GTA San Andreas
  3. Deus Ex Mankind Divided
  4. TLOU
  5. Need For Speed Most Wanted (original)
  6. MK Trilogy
  7. Super Smash Brothers Melee
  8. Batman Arkham City
  9. DMC (original)
  10. COD: Modern Warfare

I could name a few more but I'm keeping this list to ten games and they aren't in any particular order but these were very wholesome games for me.

Your list of experienced games are simply great I've played some of the options you list which are; Batman Arkham city, DMC,  COD but the vanguard, NFS most wanted. This games are simply superfluous. 

A quick list right off the top of my head:

Zelda OoT
Castlevania SOTN
FF8
The Legend Of Zelda
(first title on NES)
Q*Bert
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Mario 64
1080 Snowboarding
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Layers Of Fear: Legacy
Dante's Inferno
God Of War
(entire series prior to PS4, but especially Chains Of Olympus)
RDR2
Tell Me Why
Life Is Strange

3 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

A quick list right off the top of my head:

Zelda OoT
Castlevania SOTN
FF8
The Legend Of Zelda
(first title on NES)
Q*Bert
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Mario 64
1080 Snowboarding
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Layers Of Fear: Legacy
Dante's Inferno
God Of War
(entire series prior to PS4, but especially Chains Of Olympus)
RDR2
Tell Me Why
Life Is Strange

Your list of options are indeed superfluous, I enjoy some of the games you tagged here which are RDR2, God of war. 

12 hours ago, Oblivion Knight said:

PS1
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil 2
Spyro the Dragon 2

PS2
Gran Turismo 3
Grand Theft Auto 3
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Metal Gear Solid 2
Silent Hill 2

PS3
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Call of Duty 4

Are you still having fun with PS1? I see enough games you listed for PS1 console. And most of the PS1 console games are upgraded to PS4 especially Resident Evil, and Metal Gear. 

19 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

Are you still having fun with PS1? I see enough games you listed for PS1 console. And most of the PS1 console games are upgraded to PS4 especially Resident Evil, and Metal Gear. 

He's not supposed to still have PS1 to give a rating on a game he probably played on it before. It's what the OP was trying get from us. Did you play any great games on PS1? If yes, you can drop it here. 

7 hours ago, Boblee said:

He's not supposed to still have PS1 to give a rating on a game he probably played on it before. It's what the OP was trying get from us. Did you play any great games on PS1? If yes, you can drop it here. 

Nope, I didn't get into gaming when PS1 console was trending. I started with PS2.