Register Now
StaceyPowers

What’s the best way to play an “evil” character in an MMO?

What is the best approach for a conscientious player to play an “evil” character in an MMO? My brother mentioned that he usually tells people OOC in games to let him know if he’s gone too far. He wants to make sure everyone is having fun, even when he’s doing messed up stuff IC.

When I'm an evil character, I normally start recruiting people and let them join other organizations and make them start wars with each other. You know, manipulating things from the shadows so when I attack, everyone's too distracted by other incidents to really get in my way.

It's kind of hard to without being an ass to players, rather than their characters, such as robbing guild banks and ganking others (which was one of the earliest unsolved problems of Ultima Online). With the exception of Star Wars: The Old Republic and I imagine Eve: Online, MMOs as a whole simply aren't sophisticated enough to have any more than killing NPCs or roleplaying things in chat channels. And if everything's done through chat channels and murdering NPCs of an opposite faction, I'd say this is just a weaker version of the tabletop or a single-player title.