Register Now
killamch89

After Taunting Sony To Sue, Dbrand Pull PS5 Black Plates From Store "For Now" After Legal Threats

When sony ever does get around to producing the plates for sale, I hope there is a wide variety of abstract styles and colors to choose from. Based off the consoles exclusive themes in the past, I don't want to see a lot of plates themed off 1st party games. I’m not going to lie, i liked the balls on this third party for taking a stand, but if sony backed down from them then it would set a precedent for sony and their reputation

5 hours ago, Empire said:

When sony ever does get around to producing the plates for sale, I hope there is a wide variety of abstract styles and colors to choose from. Based off the consoles exclusive themes in the past, I don't want to see a lot of plates themed off 1st party games. I’m not going to lie, i liked the balls on this third party for taking a stand, but if sony backed down from them then it would set a precedent for sony and their reputation

Exactly and that's why they dealt with it.

It was quite funny to see it happen after they dared Sony to come after them and that they would deal with any legal problems. It's good to see them come up with an alternative in the meanwhile but I just don't like the new design. Doesn't look as great unfortunately. 

On 11/8/2021 at 10:39 AM, Darth said:

It was quite funny to see it happen after they dared Sony to come after them and that they would deal with any legal problems. It's good to see them come up with an alternative in the meanwhile but I just don't like the new design. Doesn't look as great unfortunately. 

I agree and I was always wondering what they were hoping to achieve by "poking the bear". Sony had to respond eventually as it would have set an unwanted precedence.

This may be a dumb question, but aren't these Dbrand plates similar to what those nyko fan attachments were to the 360 back in the day? Or any other third party attachment? Or is it that they didn't change the design enough to be their own? 

I was under the impression that you can make third party peripherals and other things as long as they aren't exactly the same as the original product. So why is Sony so hard pressed to stop these? 

I can understand if Sony wants to make their own plates, but why can't Dbrand make their own as well? I think when they started, it was too similar to Sonys design. But they changed it and Sony is still on them about it. 

Or am I completely missing something here?