Register Now
StaceyPowers

Silly question: what tech-wise makes modern games so smooth?

Continuous upgrades to their software engines increase their graphical quality and also the upgrade to the power of the devices that allow you to play said games. For instance, Unreal Engine 5 has some ray-tracing element in it (at least what they showed in one of the demos) so the graphical improvements are very noticeable.

19 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Now that I’m playing PS4 games (on my PS5) after nothing but PS3 games for ages, I can’t get over the smoothness of movement when I walk or look around.

Ignorant question: What technological change makes for this enhanced smoothness of motion?

It's obviously the techs updates in the new generation consoles that makes that possible. It can't be more than that. 

20 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Ignorant question: What technological change makes for this enhanced smoothness of motion?

In a word, framerates.  Most PS3 and even PS4 games were locked to 30 fps.  The PS5 is easily capable of playing these games at 60 fps or more should the devs choose to release a patch that allows it, like Guerrilla recently did with Horizon Zero Dawn.

At this point we have kind of a plateau in terms of graphical fidelity, so now gamer's have shifted their focus to getting smoother gameplay with higher framerates.  So naturally devs and publishers have responded.

Edited by Crazycrab

On 10/23/2021 at 8:29 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Now that I’m playing PS4 games (on my PS5) after nothing but PS3 games for ages, I can’t get over the smoothness of movement when I walk or look around.

When the framerates of new consoles keeps getting higher, it makes the new games graphics look more realistic and with a better smooth play. 

I'll say "red wunz go fasta." Otherwise, your answer is found above: hardware manufacturers have found the best graphical fidelity (which sells in marketing material better than framerate) for the best price, and developers have even more toolkits to reach and exceed it until the next system comes out. Because of that, optimising smoothness with framerate with central/graphical processing units (C/GPUs) has become the next big step as framerate is the next logical step. Plus it's a buzzword, like teraflops. Everyone wanted more teraflops in the last generation, even when they didn't know what they were.

7 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

I'll say "red wunz go fasta." Otherwise, your answer is found above: hardware manufacturers have found the best graphical fidelity (which sells in marketing material better than framerate) for the best price, and developers have even more toolkits to reach and exceed it until the next system comes out. Because of that, optimising smoothness with framerate with central/graphical processing units (C/GPUs) has become the next big step as framerate is the next logical step. Plus it's a buzzword, like teraflops. Everyone wanted more teraflops in the last generation, even when they didn't know what they were.

Most gamers have always looked out for more increased aesthetic improvement in their games graphics and it's why we get to see what we have today with more realistic game graphics. 

7 hours ago, Boblee said:

When the framerates of new consoles keeps getting higher, it makes the new games graphics look more realistic and with a better smooth play. 

But sometimes increasing the frame rate may also slow down the game. Specially I had suffered this problem while playing on my PC. Otherwise if you are using a console, that won't be any big issue.

1 hour ago, Razor1911 said:

But sometimes increasing the frame rate may also slow down the game. Specially I had suffered this problem while playing on my PC. Otherwise if you are using a console, that won't be any big issue.

It's always console for me ever since I jumped out of smaller Gameboy. I have been so accustomed to it that it feels like a big part of me. 

On 10/25/2021 at 5:01 PM, Razor1911 said:

Yeah, I'm actually playing on both PC and consoles together and it's true with what you mentioned about how it slows the game down when it's too high. 

9 hours ago, Heatman said:

It's what game developers are living for every singe day with trying to make video games that would be very hard to differentiate it from reality and they are almost there. 

If they don't upgrade to that level of almsot on par with what reality looks like, it's going to be hard to keep selling the games as they do currently.