Register Now
StaceyPowers

List the most important games from your childhood/teen years

There were so many it would be hard to list them all. Here are 10 of the best.

1. Test Drive III: The Passion 1990, this was basically my introduction to PC gaming, and as a kid I was obsessed with cars, so this game blew my mind. I've played some games before this one on other systems but I wasn't much about videogames before this one, this changed everything. I immediately wanted a PC. But it was at least a year later until my parents had the opportunity to buy a retired PC from the company they worked for.  For an 8 year old a year is an eternity.
  2. Stunts. 1991 This was my favorite racing game for years, mainly due to it having a track builder. I used to plan maps on paper during the day while I was in dreary boring daycare, that I would build after I got home in the evening.
  3. Doom II 1994 The first FPS game that I really liked, John Romero is a genius for the level design of this game is another level, a level that I haven't seen since. if someone asked me to name the most perfect videogame this would be it.
  4. The Need of Speed 1995. The racing game that stepped up realism to an adequate level, everything before this was a joke, now we were getting serious.
  5. Command & Conquer 1995. My real introduction to real time strategy. I played Dune II but it was just a game for me it didn't really stand out. But C&C was a genre defining game, and it's sequel, Red Alert ended up as my most anticipated game ever, dethroned only by The Last of Us Part II.
  6. Transport Tycoon Deluxe 1995. The most satisfying game, one I still occasionally play to this date. There is no other game like it. It is timeless. I indeed played it this year too. That is 26 years later, I just want you to feel the weight of that. Other games become obsolete and not really satisfying to play without modern upgrades and remasters.
  7. Carmageddon 1997. I've mentioned my obsession with cars, but it's only half of the story, I was/am also obsessed with crashing cars, and this was the first game that allowed that with any kind of realism. So of course it become an instant favorite. The first game I stayed up until 1 am to play.
  8. Half Life 1998. If Doom II is the perfect game level design wise, this is the perfect one gameplay wise, shooting was never so visceral and enjoyable before, or since. I completely forgot time when this came out, and I only realized after 4am that I probably should go to sleep. That never happened to me since then, a complete loss of sense of time.
  9. System Shock II 1999. The most creepy and atmospheric game ever created. Bioshock is a mainstreamized knock off of System Shock, nothing more, this is the real deal. Gut wrenchingly scary, complex, but not overbearing.
  10. DeusEx 2000. Finally the model game that all games should be trying to dethrone as the best immersive simulator. Unfortunately that still hasn't happened to this date.
Edited by m76

1. Metal Gear Solid
  2. Half Life/Half Life 2
  3. Unreal Tournament 
  4. Devil May Cry
  5. Gran Turismo
  6. Need For Speed Underground/Most Wanted
  7. Burnout 3
  8. SSX Tricky
  9. Super Smash Bros Melee
  10. GTA 3/Vice City/ San Andreas
  11. Mortal Kombat Trilogy
  12. Bloody Roar 2
  13. Soul Calibur
  14. Dead Or Alive
  15. Crazy Taxi
  16. Driver 2
  17. Tony Hawk Pro Skater
  18. Pokemon Silver
  19. Deus Ex
  20. Mass Effect

I'll stop at 20. I could name so many more games but I'll stop at these.

On 10/23/2021 at 8:45 PM, StaceyPowers said:

What were the most important games in your childhood/teen years? Mine were:

Myst/Riven

Original Starcraft/Warcraft games

Zork series

All Super Mario games, Contra, WWF, Super Sonic, The Punisher shooting mission game sums mine up. 

9 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Super Mario have been said very often here, which other users said; it's been around since 90s and still looking interesting due to how it is on the steady revamp. 

Super Mario have been unique ever since its first launch in 1985. It's a game that when you try to copy and make a replica of it, everyone will know where it came from and you have just wasted your time. 

42 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Super Mario have been unique ever since its first launch in 1985. It's a game that when you try to copy and make a replica of it, everyone will know where it came from and you have just wasted your time. 

I wouldn't try to copy or remake the game because it will be infringement of another person's creative works. And it violates copy right laws. 

Off the top of my head, here's a short list of some that I can remember at the moment.

The Legend Of Zelda
Zelda II The Adventure Of Link
The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past
The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time

Blaster Master
Castlevania 1,2,3
Contra
TMNT
Mega Man

Mortal Kombat
1080 Snowboarding
Conker's Bad Fur Day

Asteroids
Berzerk
Donkey Kong
Pitfall
Pac-Man
Frogger
Joust
Q*Bert
Space Invaders
Swordquest (Earthworld and Fireworld)

On 10/26/2021 at 2:01 PM, Joshua Canler said:

All Mario's Saga, Prince of Persia 89', Full Throttle, Battle Toads, the secret of monkey Island, Shenmue, Zelda: Ocarina of time, Sydney 2000 dreamcast version, Capcom's Gold Medal Challenge '92, Fifa´s from 1998 till now ... god ... I'm old ...  

It's really a long one for you playing FIFA series from 98 till now. I think you're a legend playing EA FIFA game series. I love the games developed by Capcom too, prince of Persia, and super Mario are old games I still love till now. 

10 hours ago, Justin11 said:

It's really a long one for you playing FIFA series from 98 till now. I think you're a legend playing EA FIFA game series. I love the games developed by Capcom too, prince of Persia, and super Mario are old games I still love till now. 

Now that I remember, I bought the first FIFA at my 11 yo, and I'm not too good skilled at it, but always enjoy it a lot!