Register Now
Oblivion Knight

PlayStation exclusives being ported to PC

What do you make of the recent developments with so-called PlayStation exclusives being ported to PC?

Do you look at Sony and less favourably? Are you likely to sell your PlayStation versions and pick them up for PC? Do you see any benefit to PlayStation gamers?

Shawn Layden, former CEO at Sony believed that the move would "get more people into our PlayStation world" - to me it seems to do the opposite?

Just some of the titles that have been ported, or are confirmed for release:

• Death Stranding
  • Journey
  • Heavy Rain
  • Days Gone
  • Persona 4
  • Disgaea
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Nioh
  • Nioh 2
  • Beyond: Two Souls
  • Detriot: Become Human
  • God of War
  • Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
  • Flower
  • The Unfinished Swan
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

I've said before in another thread precisely why I think consoles need to exist, and because exclusive games are the main reason to own a console, I'm am actually a little concerned about this. It's good thing for PC players to be able to play these games, but this a step in the direction to wold where people only play digital games on PC or through a stream and it don't want that to happen. So I'd say it's a nice gesture Sony, but don't go all in on it like Xbox are.

MAkes me happy that I'm more of an PC gamer myself anyway. But they should not stop supporting any console. 

2 hours ago, Oblivion Knight said:

"get more people into our PlayStation world"

Not me, I won't. It's not just that I might have an PS4 or not, it's not my cup if tea and want to have more pwoers over what I wan to do as PC gives me that

I don't see why would anyone be against this, unless they are afraid to give up their "exclusive club" membership. The fact that a game is later ported to another platform, does not affect your experience in any way shape or form. So being against it can only be for egotistical and not practical reasons.

The argument that consoles holding back progress is a good thing is ridiculous. And it doesn't even apply here as these games are first made for consoles then ported to PC, so they are already held back. If the games were tailored for the bleeding edge PCs, that would be a good thing. In fact games should even go beyond that and be future proof to a degree where you can't max out every setting even on the very best available hardware at the time of release.

So later when more advanced hardware comes around the game can benefit from its capabilities providing an even better experience. PC games always had graphical options that you can turn off or to a lower level if you don't have the necessary hardware. Why would you want everyone to have the inferior experience, even those who have better hardware?

This is already happening behind the scenes. Where multiplatform games that release same day on console / PC run at very different graphical settings, of course the console version having a locked in setting that you can't change, but it's usually not equivalent of the highest setting available on PC, it is a mix and match of things tailored to the capabilities of said console, and that's alright. It would even be possible for the devs that when a pro version comes around like the PS4 Pro, to enable higher graphical settings in the game, since they are already ready and made available for the PC version. Everyone benefits, except those who revel in exclusion. 

Edited by m76

On 10/27/2021 at 9:18 AM, Oblivion Knight said:

Are you likely to sell your PlayStation versions and pick them up for PC?

Exclusives are actually not the only reason to pick a console over PC, there are other reasons such as cheap price, easy usage etc..

On 10/27/2021 at 9:49 AM, Shagger said:

I've said before in another thread precisely why I think consoles need to exist, and because exclusive games are the main reason to own a console, I'm am actually a little concerned about this. It's good thing for PC players to be able to play these games, but this a step in the direction to wold where people only play digital games on PC or through a stream and it don't want that to happen. So I'd say it's a nice gesture Sony, but don't go all in on it like Xbox are.

To me, it is all about making the money which I don't even understand with them. Making some games exclusive to PC is definitely going to bring issues with those that play on consoles. Why they took that decision is what I am yet to understand. 

On 3/13/2022 at 8:10 AM, Justin11 said:

I appreciate and welcome exciting new features in the video game industry. As Sony have made their exclusive services compatible to PC's own, it means a plus for PC gamers. 

While this is going to be a plus for PC gamers, don't you think more people will prefer playing on PC since the need for consoles will reduce drastically. 

6 hours ago, Knight Barida said:

While this is going to be a plus for PC gamers, don't you think more people will prefer playing on PC since the need for consoles will reduce drastically. 

Yeah, it will cut down the number of console gamers, only if the feature is meant for rest of the world. And not just limiting it to few countries and leaving others out. 

15 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Yeah, it will cut down the number of console gamers, only if the feature is meant for rest of the world. And not just limiting it to few countries and leaving others out. 

That's another angle to look at this because, if the new changes is restricted to some few countries, the rest of the world will keep on playing on Consoles too.

1 hour ago, Knight Barida said:

That's another angle to look at this because, if the new changes is restricted to some few countries, the rest of the world will keep on playing on Consoles too.

Yes, it won't end our time playing on consoles, their are still other benefits even if third tier countries aren't permitted to use the PS Now feature which is compatible with PC's. 

On 3/30/2022 at 11:01 AM, Knight Barida said:

They won't restrict it to certain countries - they'll make it available globally as they stand to make way more profit from it that way.

As someone who didn't have the money to afford a Playstation in the past (even though I own a PS5 now), I can't say I'm displeased at all about this decision. I don't care if it hurts Sony in the future because my life doesn't revolve around billion dollar companies that have nothing to do with me, but if it means more PC users get to play PS games they don't have access to because they couldn't acquire a Playstation for whatever reasons, then all the better IMO. Universal access for all gamers for all games. I hate exclusivity, so I have nothing but love for ports, not just PC ports.