Register Now
StaceyPowers

Walking/running speeds in open world games

It's about world density. If the world's content is sparse, walking will not provide the player with enough enjoyment. Meanwhile, if the world is dense, running would feel like you're missing out. As I always do, I'll reference Hitman. 

Meanwhile dayZ you walk or run, but by running you food and water goes down fast and you miss what you pickup

On 4/1/2022 at 10:05 AM, egghead said:

simulation games are for giving you real-life like experience, they actually not real, therefore, don't expect real experience.

But inch perfect when it comes to the experience offered by simulator games, not many of video game genres can offer you such uniqueness and quality. 

On 4/1/2022 at 12:04 PM, Empire said:

It's about world density. If the world's content is sparse, walking will not provide the player with enough enjoyment. Meanwhile, if the world is dense, running would feel like you're missing out. As I always do, I'll reference Hitman. 

Meanwhile dayZ you walk or run, but by running you food and water goes down fast and you miss what you pickup

This exactly what happens whenever you try to play in a rush. It takes its toll on your character and it's a certainty that you will miss out on a lot of resources you could have picked up. 

On 4/16/2022 at 8:43 AM, Justin11 said:

But inch perfect when it comes to the experience offered by simulator games, not many of video game genres can offer you such uniqueness and quality. 

Gaming is all about having fun, and everyone has his or her own preference. Some people like shooting games, where as some like simulations.

On 10/28/2021 at 10:03 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Running speeds in most open world games are, I’m pretty sure, unrealistically fast, even when not sprinting. Yet “walking” speeds often feel like I’m crawling through molasses. What are your feelings about this? Which games offer the most comfortable speeds?

The same thing can't be said for Red Dead Redemption 2. Most gamers are of the opinion that the game is slow paced. What's your opinion on that? 

17 hours ago, egghead said:

Gaming is all about having fun, and everyone has his or her own preference. Some people like shooting games, where as some like simulations.

You're correct man, I love any class of video game that is neatly made, that adds value while playing it. I don't pick any game to play, the game must worth it for me. 

I've never really had any issues with walking or running in open world games. But it really does bug me when the game restricts your speed during a mission. It's usually when you have to follow another player who has to lead you somewhere and you're not allowed to walk faster than them.

5 hours ago, Darth said:

I've never really had any issues with walking or running in open world games. But it really does bug me when the game restricts your speed during a mission. It's usually when you have to follow another player who has to lead you somewhere and you're not allowed to walk faster than them.

I don't really have much problems with that as long the distance isn't too long, so that I don't get to waste so much time with walking slowly being lead. 

On 10/28/2021 at 10:03 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Running speeds in most open world games are, I’m pretty sure, unrealistically fast, even when not sprinting. Yet “walking” speeds often feel like I’m crawling through molasses. What are your feelings about this? Which games offer the most comfortable speeds?

Some gamers are of the opinion that in Red Dead Redemption 2, the game's speed is slow but it's not really that way for me unless when you use your hunting senses, it tends to disrupt movement. 

On 4/23/2022 at 6:09 AM, Justin11 said:

You're correct man, I love any class of video game that is neatly made, that adds value while playing it. I don't pick any game to play, the game must worth it for me. 

I play different kinds of games from sandbox, to FPS, simulation, strategy, etc. For me gaming is all about adrenaline rush.

Another open world game that can be considered reasonably slow would be Elder Scrolls III Morrowind. It's so slow in a way that the character is horrible at fighting. They can barely land any hit.