Register Now
StaceyPowers

What have the biggest revolutions in gameplay/storytelling been from PS3 era until now?

Jumping from PS3 to PS4/5 games, the biggest improvements I notice are mostly with respect to graphics and realism. I also notice more fluid transitions, and controls have changed (not for the better for me, but that’s just me). But so far, most improvements appear to me to be cosmetic.

But I still have only played a few games from these eras. So, I wondered, what are the biggest improvements/revolutions you have noticed in gameplay and/or storytelling from PS3 era until now, that are more than cosmetic?

Graphics are definitely the biggest improvement. But I think one aspect that a lot of people forget is the AI especially in games like Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption 2. The people around you just make the game feel livelier and it's definitely improved a lot from the older consoles.

On 10/30/2021 at 5:52 PM, Heatman said:

I think that it's jumping from Sega consoles to the Playstation consoles that is the highest and more interesting with graphics upgrade. 

Was there any notable consoles after Sega before we got to the generation of Playstations? I can only think of the Nintendo 64. 

I think weapon wheels got a lot better and smoother. More games are taking on save features to save the game any time. There is also the photo mode that is getting better and better. I can't think how story telling has changed. Games still have a mess of pop ups on the screens that are a distraction while trying to listen to what characters say. How can story telling be improved? 

On 10/30/2021 at 6:52 PM, Heatman said:

I think that it's jumping from Sega consoles to the Playstation consoles that is the highest and more interesting with graphics upgrade. 

Kind off ironic when you look at it today many 16 bit 2d games have hold up way better then any off the 3d games on ps1/n64.

4 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

Kind off ironic when you look at it today many 16 bit 2d games have hold up way better then any off the 3d games on ps1/n64.

Seriously, that's the reality of things with how things have turned out in the gaming industry. 

On 10/28/2021 at 11:09 PM, StaceyPowers said:

But I still have only played a few games from these eras. So, I wondered, what are the biggest improvements/revolutions you have noticed in gameplay and/or storytelling from PS3 era until now, that are more than cosmetic?

I woulden't call it revolution since it was inevitable but a lot of indie games are just way better then your average triple a game, better ideas, better story telling, not many big publisher are willing to take a risk anymore.

Other then that dare i say the jump from ps3 to ps4 wasen't that big, yeah it may look nicer and the worlds may be bigger but is that a good thing euhm i don't know. 

A game is almost never finished when it launches these days wherest in the early ps3 lifecycle devs atleast made an attempt to finish their games.

On 11/9/2021 at 5:46 PM, Head_Hunter said:

Ninetendo video game console have been around long time. I never own one, I came along and saw play station and loved it till now, without looking elsewhere. 

Seriously, there was no way I would wait and watch Nintendo Switch to grow and game past me. It's not possible. It's why I got it by all means. 

I think the biggest technological gameplay revolution is probably with horizon zero dawn. It's one of the very few games that actually felt like "next gen". I can't picture it running on a PS3 with downgraded graphics at all. No way 7th gen consoles can handle massive dinosaurs in an open world running around with like a 100 individiual body parts that can be chipped off which can even destroy parts of the map.