Register Now
StaceyPowers

Why are there not more placement ads in video games?

3 hours ago, Family sedan said:

If you play sports or auto racing games, ads in games and billboards and the like are more common.

Pretty much took the words out my mouth. I tend to play fantasy games or games otherwise detected from reality. I'm not sure even EA are shameless enough to have a barbarian warrior charge at you, stop just before he swings his battle-axe, smile and then say "Drink Pepsi". Outside of sports sims and sports emulation, a world that whores itself out so constantly to the point where having no adds could even spoil the immersion, the only real way to promote things in games is through skins and themed items. Marvels Avengers was regarded as being infinitely shameless having, for example, Version Media themed skins in that game. I mean, what the fuck?

I don't mind it when it's at least done with at least some tact. For example, I started playing a game called Two Point Hospital on steam a few days back. The game is published by SEGA, who are celebrating the 30th anniversary of thier most famous icon Sonic, and boy do they want the people playing TPH to know it. You can decorate the Hospital with Sonic rugs, Sonic plants, Sonic wall art and even Sonic rings on pedestals, it's complete madness! I've also been playing Tales of Arise that's been really pushing DLC costume packs themed around what I think is Sword Art Online, then there was the free Phantasy Star 2 and Nier Automata skins in Gravity Rush 2. Outside of sport sims, it's far more subtle because it has to be, but @StaceyPowers, it IS there, more often than you think.

Edited by Shagger

10 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I just realized that thinking through all the games in my collection, I cannot think of a single example of ad placement. I find that odd. Is there a specific reason ad placement is so rare in video games? (not that I’m complaining!

The kind of games that you play determines if you get to see those ads placement often. I have seen a few in some shooting games. 

One of the slimiest games I recall for having adverts was Disney Skate Adventure. Right out of the gate you were given quests to deliver McDonalds (and get some clown shoes as a reward, how appropriate) and you had to find someone's lost Nokia. If it weren't for its killer soundtrack and not being in my teens I probably would've seen through its Mickey Mouse BS sooner.

As others have pointed out, racing games have these adverts all over for all manner of product placement. Whether it's for licensing issues or funding, I'm unaware as I'm more versed in karting games than full on big boy racing games.

For a racing game (Forza, NFS Gran Turismo) it doesn't bother me so much, because racing events IRL are dependent upon companies sponsoring the races. So it doesn't really bother me when I'm coming out of turn 4 and I notice several billboards along the outer wall. Alright, cool.

But it would aggravate me to see, let's say, the Illusive Man pulling out a pack of Camel No 9's and a Zippo lighter in every cut scene he was in. Crap like that would aggravate the hell out of me. It just seems like a shameless plug.

On 11/9/2021 at 1:12 PM, Empire said:

For a racing game (Forza, NFS Gran Turismo) it doesn't bother me so much, because racing events IRL are dependent upon companies sponsoring the races. So it doesn't really bother me when I'm coming out of turn 4 and I notice several billboards along the outer wall. Alright, cool.

But it would aggravate me to see, let's say, the Illusive Man pulling out a pack of Camel No 9's and a Zippo lighter in every cut scene he was in. Crap like that would aggravate the hell out of me. It just seems like a shameless plug.

Whenever it's excessive and too interrupting, it's never fun as it would ruin the games full immersion for me.