Register Now
StaceyPowers

If you fail to complete a task many, many times in a game, do you want the game to offer you to skip it?

16 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

LJN is a video game company like Konami or Capcom. People often think of them as the worst game company ever, having made the worst games ever. AVGN did a hilarious video about them. He also mentions them in a huge number of his videos as the Unholy Grail of Shit video games. But i personally like a lot of their titles.

Oh! They are even a game company to say the least. With being like Konami, it would be when Konami hit the rock bottom with their games I guess. 

I be raging over for a skip option, but then I be thinking that I williing to get the mission passed and I do anything in my powers to complent it. If you skip it then why bother playing the game if you never worked that part out. 

19 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Nope - I like to suffer so I'll keep trying as many times as possible until I am successful. That is the right mentality to have towards this.

If it's actually a challenge that is really worth the stress of going through with it all the time then I would definitely consider to do it till I succeed.

21 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Nope - I like to suffer so I'll keep trying as many times as possible until I am successful. That is the right mentality to have towards this.

3 hours ago, Empire said:

I be raging over for a skip option, but then I be thinking that I williing to get the mission passed and I do anything in my powers to complent it. If you skip it then why bother playing the game if you never worked that part out. 

I fully agree with you both. But if it's a glitch that is blocking you from moving forward on a small part, after having faced that part repeatedly, then I understand choosing to skip it also. Like the one I mentioned. It wouldn't let me hit the conductor to get him off me no matter how many times I tried. And it didn't skip anything more than that. I was at a point where you get the guy off you and then immediately stop the train. I hit skip, then it showed Arthur stopping the train. Badabing, badaboom.

But if you're just too lazy to make your own progress, then @Empire said it perfectly. Why even own or bother playing the damn game?

I've punked out, lol, a few times and just gone to a cheating video or something.   Nonetheless, that can be regrettable, especially if the answer was easy, but it just wasn't apparent for some reason.

No, I wouldn't want the easy way out of a game if I could help it.  The point is the struggle.  That's what makes it fun.

i've seen this implemented in some games, can't remember which ones, but it made me feel really stupid, and I felt the game is being condescending to me.

I think a game should never offer you to skip a challenge, instead just give you hints if you fail many times. But even hints can get annoying when they are repeated too often, so the best thing is if they can be asked on demand, instead of being offered automatically. Most games that have them do it too aggressively and too soon. For example in Tomb Raider you explore a bit and Lara already starts mouthing off on what you should do.

But the worst offender is this regard is Force Unleashed 2, where the hints are not just too many and too soon, but outright wrong. in one bossfight the radio keeps screeching at you if you use force lighting, that it's poinless because you can't hurt it. Even when you are using force lighting to charge the batteries necessary to kill the boss.

Edited by m76

4 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I fully agree with you both. But if it's a glitch that is blocking you from moving forward on a small part, after having faced that part repeatedly, then I understand choosing to skip it also. Like the one I mentioned. It wouldn't let me hit the conductor to get him off me no matter how many times I tried. And it didn't skip anything more than that. I was at a point where you get the guy off you and then immediately stop the train. I hit skip, then it showed Arthur stopping the train. Badabing, badaboom.

But if you're just too lazy to make your own progress, then @Empire said it perfectly. Why even own or bother playing the damn game?

I should have added that I'll only skip for things like bugs and glitches because it'll be impossible to complete when the game engine itself isn't functioning properly.

17 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I actually believe that there is no fun in doing that when you don't really have the desire to play a game rather than keep on skipping it whenever you get to a path that seems to be difficult.

20 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I should have added that I'll only skip for things like bugs and glitches because it'll be impossible to complete when the game engine itself isn't functioning properly.

When it comes to bugs and glitches, when they get too much with or in any game that I'm playing, I would most likely be quitting the game. 

18 hours ago, Heatman said:

When it comes to bugs and glitches, when they get too much with or in any game that I'm playing, I would most likely be quitting the game. 

Why did I end my time with playing FIFA games? It's all down to their stupid bugs and glitches which I can't deal with anymore. 

I agree with @m76's assessment of hints making one feel 'stupid,' as they did me in New Super Mario Bros. and Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair (not sure about impossible, just downright infuriating). But I still think they should be in a game, if only as a toggle-able option for those who either don't feel stupid, or accept that "yep, I am struggling, and it's OK to ask for help."

The thing for me is I've paid for the game and I want to see the end of it. If I want to see it badly enough I'll go through Hell and high streams to cheat at it, as I did with Valkyria Chronicles, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and indeed Yooka-Laylee and the Twenty Trials of Toadshit. No longer do I need to put up with the coin-eater mindset that went the way of the sixth generation consoles. Now games are so much more sophisticated to offer all kinds of failure states, such as endings, dynasties, lowering difficulties or more noticeable, checkpoints.

As for receiving more hints, it's hard for me to say on this point because hints will vary from game-to-game. Indeed, some games will give you red herrings. Going back to Pathfinder: Kingmaker, the hints for dealing with swarms (requring a torch, limited magic, or bombs) and Branded Trolls immune to fire didn't appear to trigger, and are easily missed on loading screens. In Crash Bandicoot: N-Sane Trilogy, hints weren't so much hints as flat-out spoilers.

Dara O'Brien did a fantastic stand-up bit about how video games are the only art form that won't let you fully appreciate it if you don't display ability, and what if others were the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeFPIDTkWyA

Edited by Withywarlock

On 11/21/2021 at 1:42 PM, killamch89 said:

I've given several examples in the past, but I love the comical glitches that don't affect the game play. Like the ones in RDR2 - Uncle playing air banjo, guy flying across screen, etc. I welcome those.