Register Now
StaceyPowers

Is difficulty in games ever an accessibility issue? If so, when?

Games are aimed largely at people who are not deficient in certain areas—reflexes, executive function, etc. Alas, some people are deficient in said areas. Do you feel that in any situations, this is an accessibility issue (i.e. unexpected tasks/difficulty spikes in the middle of games that are uncharacteristic of the rest of the game)? What can be done to prevent such issues?

Honestly, I don't think game difficulty can be an accessibility issue because that is not where accessibility issues exist when they do. Problems with accessibility don't really come form video games themselves, but from some form of incompatibility from the individual playing the game. Difficulty is different, that is something developed within the core design of the game itself. Just because your reaction times, level of practice or stratagems aren't effective in one's efforts to succeed at a game, that does not make it an accessibility issue. All that really means is that you're... well... just not very good at that game or you have you difficulty set to high (I'll get back to that point).

Accessibility, as well as the quality and compatibility of said accessibility, is all about how good and suitable the user interface (UI) is. That is how one physically recognises and interacts with the game. This interface comprises of two base elements, input and feedback. Input is, obviously, whatever one physically uses to actually control the game along with the software that tells the game how to respond to said control inputs made of what device it is. Feedback are the methods that a game will employ to show the player what effects thier control inputs are having as well as providing the information the player needs to make the decisions to make those inputs.

Now, if one of those systems, input of feedback, has a flaw or fault, that is a problem to directly associate with UI itself. This could be a hardware issue like faulty control device (Werther it be mouse, keyboard, gamepad, racing wheel or whatever), a faulty monitor/TV or an issue with sound playback. It could also be a UI issue software if a game was to have bad graphics that don't convey the information accurately or in a way that's easy to understand of if the game is buggy or doesn't run well.

This becomes a problem with accessibility when the UI works as specified, but has a compatibility problem with players with some form of impairment indigenous to themselves. A typical controller may work fine, but can only really be used by somebody with two functional hands, so that's an accessibility issue for someone who only has the full use of one hand. The solution of that comes from somebody developing controllers that can be used buy people accurately with only one hand.

Likewise, the display and graphics may be very clear and conveys all the information accurately, but if someone has issues with thier sight or there's a language issue, that's not a problem with the game, that's an accessibility issue. That's where game developers can take steps to improve accessibility as part of the process to develop a game. Colour blind friendly options, subtitles, larger text displays, audio cues and so on.

Getting back to the point I left at the start, I can think of one exception to rule that difficulty in games can't be an accessibility issue, and that would be difficulty settings in games. Like it or not, there are people who play games just to experience them as a narrative to explore. It is perfectly possible that thier reason for this could tie into a physical or metal ailment they have. So an argument could be made that difficulty is an accessibility issue when single player games only offer one difficulty option. That's another good reason games with one difficulty setting should not exist. This is especially true when the game is only interested in being as hard as possible (Looking at YOU the so-called "Soulsborne" games and all the hacks that copy them). There are obviously exceptions, I'd say certain platformers and interactive narratives can't really apply for example, but exceptions aside multiple difficulty options can help make a game accessible to wider variety of players and is a good thing. It doesn't actually take difficulty away either. If anything, it opens the door to more challenging experiences to those that want them. I know I said that stuff before, but there are folk in the gaming world who desperately need this drummed into thier skull, so I'll keep saying it until I'm cold and blue. Multiple difficulty settings in single player games are a good thing and should always be included minus some exceptions.

Edited by Shagger

9 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Games are aimed largely at people who are not deficient in certain areas—reflexes, executive function, etc. Alas, some people are deficient in said areas. Do you feel that in any situations, this is an accessibility issue (i.e. unexpected tasks/difficulty spikes in the middle of games that are uncharacteristic of the rest of the game)? What can be done to prevent such issues?

I have no reason to believe yhgs games difficulty have anything to do with its accessibility issue. It's something that the gamer can easily fix by adjusting the difficulty level to his best play mode. 

On 11/9/2021 at 3:00 AM, Justin11 said:

When I'm playing games, I have the option to set it the way I want the difficulty to be. But since I want the game to be competitive enough, I drop it to the default difficulty level. 

Personally, it's always to start from a medium difficulty level to high difficulty level. I wouldn't ever play the easy level. 

5 hours ago, Boblee said:

Personally, it's always to start from a medium difficulty level to high difficulty level. I wouldn't ever play the easy level. 

Starting from medium difficulty is good, if you're starting with the video game. It's gradual process then you move up to the next level. 

20 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

If I am new to.the game I'll start from the medium level and build my way up in the game levels until I master the game properly then I can switch to play the highest level. 

Most gamers who love high challenge starts off from the most difficult levels. 

4 hours ago, Boblee said:

Most gamers who love high challenge starts off from the most difficult levels. 

Yes of course, and I love such kind of challenge, and not where things will look one sided. Even the life we are living isn't one sided, challenges come and go, showing that, it isn't complete. 

On 11/5/2021 at 1:17 AM, StaceyPowers said:

There are some games that I have few challenges getting around its play like in Ghost of Tsushima where making use of arrow and bow is very difficult for me to get used to.