Register Now
ZandraJoi

What was your first Nintendo console?

We've had both N64 & NES, I don't recall which we had first as it was so long ago now. We opted for a Nintendo System over Sega & other ones as they seemed to have better games, the controller was easier to handle, etc. Plus the support for Nintendo was more popular out there if you needed some help & guidance. Not to mention we loved a lot of the games they had to offer.

Technically my very first console was the Gameboy. Many hours of my childhood was spent on that thing! I was literally attached to the wall because my parents were tired of buying AA batteries for me. 

The console after that was the Sega Genesis - played games like The Lion King and Aladdin. I also remember playing the game Zoom! with my cousins, that was so much fun!

The NES for me. My parents and sister had a NES when I was growing up, and many of the first games I played were Super Mario Brothers 1 and 3, TMNT, Gyromite and more. Oh Rad Racer is another that comes to mind. I sucked at as a kid, but my sister was a pro at rad racer when I was growing up. 

That would actually be my first console ever as well. 

This is a very fond memory for me but my first Nintendo console was the Gameboy. I always remember we had games like Mario and Kirby, and we also had another game, I cannot remember the name of it but it had a series of mini games that you could play, and I remember having a lot of fun and spending a ton of time on that game. I always remember with the Gameboy how the screen was and that if you were not in any kind of light, you couldn't see the screen at all. I remember my parents getting me a magnifier with a light that you could attach to your Gameboy that would allow you to play your game whether light or dark. That gadget was perfect for long drive where I had travel sickness and we would be driving home in the dark. Only issue with the Gameboy was that you needed to make sure you had plenty of batteries or you would run the risk of it dying. 

The attachment you’re referring to is the Light Boy. I remember that thing be damn near a requirement unless you were playing under direct sunlight. Even with the lamps on it, you could still barely see it. Even the GBA wasn’t backlit. They didn’t do that until the GBASP.

And you’re definitely spot on about the damn batteries. If you didn’t use a lot of rechargeable batteries, you were going to spend more in batteries within the first six months of owning the damn thing than the machine itself cost. It’s the ONLY reason I game on a GBASP instead of the classic GB. It uses a charge cord instead of six digits for an hour of use.

My first was a Gamboy Color, playing Pokemon and stuff. Unfortunately, there was this bully in primary school who tricked me into "borrowing" him the Gameboy and all the cartridges. I never got them back and had to downgrade to a Gameboy Pocket (which was also stolen in secondary school). My Gameboy SP and DS fared better fates though.

I've played a NES growing up, but the first one I owned was a SNES.  When I was a kid getting into gaming we had both a Sega Genesis & SNES. I leaned more towards Sega & the Genesis/MegaDrive though, but I still enjoyed classics like Super Mario World, Super Punchout & Chrono Trigger on the SNES. 

My ever first time that I played on a nintendo was NES and it was not even mine at the time, it was a friends device that I end up using  😜 And so that was that. Gotta have friends that will end up sharing there gear. Has anyone had that happen to them. 

On 10/29/2022 at 3:09 PM, Shortie said:

This is a very fond memory for me but my first Nintendo console was the Gameboy. I always remember we had games like Mario and Kirby, and we also had another game, I cannot remember the name of it but it had a series of mini games that you could play, and I remember having a lot of fun and spending a ton of time on that game. I always remember with the Gameboy how the screen was and that if you were not in any kind of light, you couldn't see the screen at all. I remember my parents getting me a magnifier with a light that you could attach to your Gameboy that would allow you to play your game whether light or dark. That gadget was perfect for long drive where I had travel sickness and we would be driving home in the dark. Only issue with the Gameboy was that you needed to make sure you had plenty of batteries or you would run the risk of it dying. 

My parents would have never gotten me a Gameboy growing up. But we ended up getting one anyway, when my sister decided to take one she found in a public bathroom many years ago. I still have that very Gameboy sitting in a drawer somewhere lol. I remember vividly how often that thing needed new batteries. I didn't play it much growing up because of that reason. Other issue was that screen for sure. If they had backlit display, it would have been so much better. 

6 hours ago, Kane99 said:

My parents would have never gotten me a Gameboy growing up. But we ended up getting one anyway, when my sister decided to take one she found in a public bathroom many years ago. I still have that very Gameboy sitting in a drawer somewhere lol. I remember vividly how often that thing needed new batteries. I didn't play it much growing up because of that reason. Other issue was that screen for sure. If they had backlit display, it would have been so much better. 

Oh I remember the batteries, it used to drain the batteries so quickly, I can't remember if there was a rechargeable battery pack for the GameBoy as I remember us having something but I can't remember exactly what due to how much it would drain batteries. 

16 hours ago, Shortie said:

Oh I remember the batteries, it used to drain the batteries so quickly, I can't remember if there was a rechargeable battery pack for the GameBoy as I remember us having something but I can't remember exactly what due to how much it would drain batteries. 

There were a couple rechargeable battery packs, but they weren't released everywhere and didn't sell very well due to how expensive they were. People opted to just use plain old batteries, as it was cheaper to just buy packs of batteries than pay for the battery pack. At least in one shot. The pack cost almost as much as they system itself, and usually didn't hold much of a charge. In actuality, regular batteries gave you more playing time, and lasted longer than the battery packs.

They were pretty much useless. Especially at the price they cost.

23 hours ago, Kale said:

I got the SNES for my first Nintendo console! I played Super Mario World, Beavis and Butthead, and Super Punch Out. Those were the good old days...man. 

I never played Super Punch Out, but I played the hell out of SMW and B&B. But I have to say that Beavis & Butthead was a lot better and more fun on the Sega Genesis.