Register Now
PGen98

Graphics Cards -- Is Ray Tracing Enough to Warrant Spending So Much on an RTX, or Should You Stay GTX?

It's no secret that graphics cards are ridiculously expensive at the moment, with prices ranging from $400 up to $1500 for the highest of the high end. While most want the bleeding edge with every build, putting in the latest and greatest top end components, most can't afford to spend the kind of money that top end components cost now.  Do you feel that the RTX line of cards has enough going for it to warrant purchasing one over, say a GTX 1660 Super that is available for a decent amount less?  For me, I'm not seeing the benefits of an RTX card yet.  I know it'll take time for everyone to play a little catch up and make the adjustment worthwhile, but...I'm not seeing the overall benefit from what I see of them.  Do you think they're worth it, or will you be sticking with GTX cards for the time being?

I think Ray Tracing is great, sure you can play games without it, and it won't make a bad game any better, but if you can afford it there is no reason to miss out on it.

I'm lucky as I just picked up an RTX card on the tail end of the last generation in December 2019, among comments like "bad choice" , "next gen is right around the corner" , "why would you buy a last gen card" , "prices will fall through the floor" and so on.

39 minutes ago, m76 said:

I think Ray Tracing is great, sure you can play games without it, and it won't make a bad game any better, but if you can afford it there is no reason to miss out on it.

I'm lucky as I just picked up an RTX card on the tail end of the last generation in December 2019, among comments like "bad choice" , "next gen is right around the corner" , "why would you buy a last gen card" , "prices will fall through the floor" and so on.

I think it's it's kind of a moo point.  Ray tracing is going to be industry standard in the next generation of cards anyway if it's not already.  That's not at all a bad thing but my point is pretty soon it's going to be pretty close to impossible to find any modern GPU that doesn't have it.  So the debate as to whether or not one should spend the money on RTX or not is going to be irrelevant.

Ray tracing is nice but not something I care about, at the moment. Spider-Man: Remastered on the PS5 has an option to enable ray tracing but I have never gone with that option. For me 60FPS was more important because it makes the game feel a lot better.

So if you can't get ray tracing, don't worry about it too much

On 11/15/2021 at 2:06 PM, Crazycrab said:

I think it's it's kind of a moo point.  Ray tracing is going to be industry standard in the next generation of cards anyway if it's not already.  That's not at all a bad thing but my point is pretty soon it's going to be pretty close to impossible to find any modern GPU that doesn't have it.  So the debate as to whether or not one should spend the money on RTX or not is going to be irrelevant.

Currently it is close to impossible to find any GPU period. Or literally impossible if you want it for MSRP.

On 11/15/2021 at 8:06 AM, Crazycrab said:

Well there is AMD's implementation which is open-sourced and is continuously updated so it's an option for older GPUs. Still it's not quite as polished as DLSS right now.

On 11/19/2021 at 5:34 AM, skyfire said:

I think we have to let this semiconductor issues that is bugging the market needs to go away. otherwise a lot of products would be delayed let alone cards. 

It is slowing down production and releases of newer and more powerful graphics cards that can properly utilize ray tracing.

The technology is improving, new games and even some older games now are adding Ray Tracing support andwhile I see new games out they are aiming for those RTX cards more now then with GTX. point saying that soon you have no choice to get Ray Tracing cards to play your games that you want, GTX cards are still goof but they are old and they won't keep up the lastest games.

I'm still on GTX myself but missing out playing games with DLSS on ;( 

On 11/21/2021 at 10:06 AM, killamch89 said:

It is slowing down production and releases of newer and more powerful graphics cards that can properly utilize ray tracing.

I hope that instead of 1 and half year old tech getting the manufacturing we should be getting post corona products a nod in near future. this way the semiconductor market can get boost as is. 

On 11/22/2021 at 2:55 AM, skyfire said:

I hope that instead of 1 and half year old tech getting the manufacturing we should be getting post corona products a nod in near future. this way the semiconductor market can get boost as is. 

I heard that Nvidia is outsourcing chip production to other companies other than Samsung to meet the demand for its graphics cards in the near future so hopefully this can address the supply issues going forward.

I personally don't think Ray tracing is needed. If anything my PC can't even support it, but that's okay. I think graphics look good as it is. If I could afford a PC or a graphics card that can do ray tracing I would get one, but I don't feel it's worth it right now with how high prices are high at the moment.