Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Billiards

Anyone a fan of shooting pool? Ever watch tournaments? Once I turned 18 I spent a lot of time in the pool halls. I love the game and used to have a Mali cue stick. My preferred tables were always the bigger ones in billiards over the smaller bar sized that usually uses quarters. And my preferred game was good ol fashioned 8 ball. I miss it. Anyone else like to shoot pool? What is your preferred game and table size? Thinking back on those days, how I miss it. 

Same here, I do not play, well, I have and it's fun but I do not understand about it you know. I do have family members loves doing it 🙂 

If I go to a bar that has a table, it's highly unlikely I'll play unless there's a group of us and we all feel like playing. Going to a bar where I don't know anyone, putting a marker on the rail and playing the winner for "control" of the table isn't something I've done since college.

15 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I never played Billiards before. With your brief explanation of the game, I think you're saying that the game, is like range shooting and targeting a particular spot and shooting it right. 

There are 2 main games to play which are 8 ball and 9 ball. The 8 ball game one player has to knock in all solid color balls in the pocket and the other player has to knock in all striped balls in the pocket and then knock in the 8 ball very last to win. In 9 ball you have to shoot the balls in order from 1-ball to 9-ball and you win once you pocket the 9 ball. This video shows some good shots, but notice sometimes the shot is a safety shot, where they try not to leave the other player with a clear shot on their turn. That's why the crowd cheers when they shoot the ball, but doesn't fall into a pocket. 

7 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

There are 2 main games to play which are 8 ball and 9 ball. The 8 ball game one player has to knock in all solid color balls in the pocket and the other player has to knock in all striped balls in the pocket and then knock in the 8 ball very last to win. In 9 ball you have to shoot the balls in order from 1-ball to 9-ball and you win once you pocket the 9 ball. This video shows some good shots, but notice sometimes the shot is a safety shot, where they try not to leave the other player with a clear shot on their turn. That's why the crowd cheers when they shoot the ball, but doesn't fall into a pocket. 

It's a game that is instrumental to kill the time, I use to play the game with friends before covid19 IRL, but since then, I never played again due to covid19 catastrophe. 

Curious: Do people call it billiards or pool? Growing up, we had a pool table & we always called it pool. We also had a swimming pool so imagine being a young kid learning that difference lol While I was not good at it, my parents still have a pool table & we play games on it sometimes when we visit them. Just brings back memories. I don't care to watch it, or any sport really for that matter. I rather be in on the game.

24 minutes ago, ZandraJoi said:

Curious: Do people call it billiards or pool? Growing up, we had a pool table & we always called it pool. We also had a swimming pool so imagine being a young kid learning that difference lol While I was not good at it, my parents still have a pool table & we play games on it sometimes when we visit them. Just brings back memories. I don't care to watch it, or any sport really for that matter. I rather be in on the game.

Billiards is the proper name of the sport itself, but I usually say pool. I remember when we used to shoot pool all the time and my friend called me up to go shoot some pool. We were chatting on the phone for a couple minutes and he asked if I had some cue tips. I told him I'd bring some. So we're in the car driving to the pool hall and he asked if I brought some cue tips. He mentioned his ear itches and it just didn't register with me at the time. All I was thinking about was pool. So I said yeah I got some cue tips. And I said I brought glue too LOL. So I showed him a pack full of cue tips and glue. The cue tips I had were the tips you put on the end of a cue stick with glue to stick it on. He laughed so hard because he wanted actual cue tips for ears!!! LOL

1 hour ago, ZandraJoi said:

Billiards is a term often used to describe these type of cue style games in a general way, but technically it's actually a different game from Pool or Snooker.

2 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Billiards is a term often used to describe these type of cue style games in a general way, but technically it's actually a different game from Pool or Snooker.

I've never seen that game before! I guess that is the true billiards game; well I'll be...Thanks for clarifying cause I'm sure people from different countries have a different game in mind when referring to billiards or pool. But they use a 12 ft table. The way they play, it would be hard to tally up the points in a regular setting. People would fight over it. That would be interesting to play 8 ball on a 12 ft. 

4 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

That would be interesting to play 8 ball on a 12 ft. 

I've tried it.  There's an added challenge because of the longer distance but aside from that it's not really any different.  Here in the UK at least the 12ft tables are pretty much standard for professional players in both Pool and Snooker.