Register Now
PGen98

Sports Games: Yay or Nay?

Does anyone here play sports games?  What are your thoughts on sports games as a whole?  Are they a waste of time, a waste of money, or are they genuine fun that you get genuine enjoyment out of?

For me, personally, I really enjoy sports games.  I play FIFA yearly, NHL yearly, and I have friends that play MLB the Show, so this year I even started playing that.  They're good fun, you can have a great time playing against friends, and just for passing the time in general. What about you, do you feel that sports games are worth the time?

I believe the appeal for sports games is that they are kind of a role playing game, where you play as a sportsperson or a whole team and face off against others with the same rules. It's like playing sports irl. I find myself playing F1 and setting times on tracks where the race is about to happen the coming weekend. Doing this makes me feel more engaged in the actual race itself, as I know all the turns and straights from experience.

For the most part, sports games seem to be a waste of time to me. Games around professional sports like NFL, MLB, NHL,  and NBA just to name a few seem to offer nothing more than an updated roster. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love hockey. But nothing really changed between NHL13 and NHL14.

Individual sports, where you’re a team of one, can be an exception. For example the snowboarding games I played all offer different courses, and increasingly more challenging stunts to pull off for the qualifiers.

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

For the most part, sports games seem to be a waste of time to me. Games around professional sports like NFL, MLB, NHL,  and NBA just to name a few seem to offer nothing more than an updated roster. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love hockey. But nothing really changed between NHL13 and NHL14.

Individual sports, where you’re a team of one, can be an exception. For example the snowboarding games I played all offer different courses, and increasingly more challenging stunts to pull off for the qualifiers.

You're absolutely right, I was one of those that bought the NHL and FIFA releases each and every year because I was so into the sports that I just had to buy them, but ultimately they offer very little in terms of new features or functionality year over year.  Then you get to a new generation of consoles and it's as if they start from scratch all over again, strip the good features and then re-introduce them three years down the line as "all new" to the series.  So it's not worth buying every single year, but once every few years, sure, it changes enough to be worth a look!

Snowboarding games are incredibly fun, particularly the ones that came out in the PS1/Sega Saturn era, like Steep Slop Sliders, Coolboarders, and so on.  Not realistic by today's standards, I know, but back then they were absolutely incredible fun.  Today's games (Steep) are great fun, as well, and the realism has certainly kicked up a few notches!

Yay for me. I play FIFA and F1. I have played a few other sports games as well but those two are the main ones that I tend to play the most. FIFA is a lot of fun especially as someone who follows football a lot. And as I'm starting to follow F1, the game is great to learn the rules as well.

I enjoy some sports games. I know most people kinda ignore them, but you can have a lot of fun playing with friends. I always come back back to the likes of ESPN NFL 2K5, because it stands as a much better game than most recent Madden Games. A $20 game from 2004, has better presentation, control, modes and more that a $60 game from 2021 doesn't even have. They don't even have refs in Madden anymore, old games had refs and they made it work just fine. It's because Madden doesn't innovate every year. It's the same game with some polish and just updated rosters. 

But I still sometimes check out Madden, even with the laundry list of problems it has, because it's the only football game on the market. 

Other than that, give me more games like SSX Tricky, NBA & NFL Street and more. I'll take those again. I miss those series. 😞