Register Now
Patrik

Just got a PS2 Slim :)

Hello VGR again!

Today i managed to get a PS2 (Slim model) for 35 bucks, it came with a 8mb Memory card, 2 Controllers and and the necessary cables (AV Adapter, Charger etc..).

Fired it up, plugged the controllers and played Metal Slug 5 and had real fun.

Why did i get it? i didn't unfortunately have the chance to get it as a kid (i actually had the Phat PS2 but sold it because my iq was low), and wanted it since long, but today managed to get it since things are different now!

Planning to play God of War, Mortal Kombat SM (Shaolin Monks), Disney Pixar up, Jet Li rise of honor and many other titles (including CO-OP games with my brothers when they are free).

What would you recommend me (including games or tips to have it spending the maximum possible time with me 😛 )

That actually sounds quite fun. I did the same as you and got my hands on a PlayStation 1 a long time ago because I never had my own. It was a lot of fun for a while but eventually I just gave it away to someone that wanted it.

23 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

I didn't play PS1 console, that's the only version of play station which I lack playing nor touched. I didn't get to feel the PS1, nor played it before, maybe I'll consider buying it. 

Your actually better off getting a PS2.  It's full backwards compatible with the PS1 and their more reliable.

6 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

Your actually better off getting a PS2.  It's full backwards compatible with the PS1 and their more reliable.

I understand that it's backward for me, but at times I love going retrospective. My friends gets tired of me due to such kind of lifestyle, but such is the way I make myself happy at times. I'll go for PS1 sooner, I played the PS2 console for long before flipping it up and getting a PS3. 

1 hour ago, Patrik said:

a small update since i didn't post here since a long while, the adapter came in the last month, the quality is way way better than it is with the regular A/V cables, the adapter was sooo cool and cheap

And you're still playing the PS2 games up to this day? 

On 11/19/2021 at 4:39 PM, Patrik said:

Forgot to mention that i'm using it with a very old CRT TV (that's not eyes friendly) and planning to get the HDMI adapter for better quality, larger display and more comfort!

Try to find a CRT TV from Sony. They tend to have some of the best CRTs out there. Honestly, I would stick with a CRT, I think they looked better. But I know there was an option to upgrade the PS2 to I think 720p, but I am not 100% sure. I don't know if an HDMI adapter would work, I think you may need to get component. But I'm not 100% sure. 

I would love to have a CRT TV to game on, but the space they take and the weight are just more than I can set up for at the moment. I have a little 19" flat screen that I have my old systems hooked up to, and it serves its purpose. The PS4 and Xbox One are hooked up to the same TV that I use as my computer monitor, but the older systems are all hooked up to the mini TV.

On 1/7/2022 at 9:42 PM, Justin11 said:

And you're still playing the PS2 games up to this day? 

i do 🙂

On 1/10/2022 at 3:12 AM, Kane99 said:

Try to find a CRT TV from Sony. They tend to have some of the best CRTs out there. Honestly, I would stick with a CRT, I think they looked better. But I know there was an option to upgrade the PS2 to I think 720p, but I am not 100% sure. I don't know if an HDMI adapter would work, I think you may need to get component. But I'm not 100% sure. 

i'm using an LCD TV for now and it's doing so goood with the HDMI Adapter 😛

On 1/9/2022 at 9:16 PM, The Blackangel said:

Not a bad buy. I have 3 or 4 of them lying around here. They're good and reliable consoles. The memory cards are often a bitch to find, but the games are pretty well rounded for the era.

Aliexpress is your friend if you don't mind waiting for like 20-30 days 🙂 

Cool, that's very coool and good deal @Patrik Not bad price point for the age of the device. Hopefully you can makem it last for another 20 years and then make money. Maybe it be an antique 😛 if it's not already. I wish I can able to get my hands on them, aren't many around that are in good shape. 

Yeah PS2 slims are going for pretty cheap on the market these days, same with the phat PS2. Now the PS2s that will sell for a pretty penny, are the special editions and different colored versions, because if I remember correctly, the PS2 didn't get a whole lot of different console releases. But I may be wrong on that.