Register Now
Knight Plug

I finally conceded, and have giving up on Resident Evil...

Long rant ahead...

*WARNING* 

I basically decided to stop caring about the franchise due to online trolls, and overall, Capcom's mismanagement of certain games and characters. And, well, personal issues has made me just not care any longer, since life is short.

For a number of years, I feel like Capcom hasn't been fully honest with their fans. For instance, they stole art work for the games, and were legally threatened. And by the way, they ripped off a bunch of movies and games, for RE7 especially, which didn't really feel like a RE game anyway. The Molded look so basic, because Capcom just wanted a new creature design that was plain easy to make on the screen. They just wanted to copy Outlast type games as well, and probably due to the fact that Silent Hills was cancelled into the bargain, they wanted to change over to the first person perspective. Yet everybody praised it. Although personally, it was strictly okay to me, but nothing like the classic games. Even RE6 (which I know many fans dislike) is more of a RE game than 7 is, because it had zombies, and many returning characters were featured. Perhaps a critical failure, but more in line with what RE used to provide than with 7, and especially 8. Plus, the C-Virus makes you think of the T and G-Viruses, because of the name. But yep. It could also remind you of COVID-19, so oops.

RE8 (aka Village) is not necessarily so crap, I would not recommend it. But it's very underwhelming as a RE game. Feels mostly like an action game with Chris at least looking like Chris (instead of that lame new actor they got for the ending scene and DLC in RE7), but now he is making dumb, headstrong decisions and concealing info from Ethan Winters (the faceless new "face" of RE) just to pad out the story, and the bosses are laughable, even for RE standards. Like, a mutant baby, vampires, a robot, and a living doll are your antagonists this time around. Like, yeah, okay. RE4 had ogres and a pirate midget, and there was also a statue based on the pirate that somehow activates, and you have to run away, and the two games are similar, because of a village, a castle and a merchant being present. 

Now in my opinion, new RE Games are simply not terrifying. RE entries 1, 2, 3, 0, CV and the early spin offs had atmosphere and a good story. The new games hardly have any music or that same feeling of dread and eeriness. The game practically has a shopping system in it so you can go all Rambo on everything. So that's not even scary. If you have enough cash at hand, it's a breeze to survive, when all you need to do is find the Duke or the Merchant, and flog them treasures. 

And nostalgia often hurts this series; I honestly don't know how many times Capcom has revisited Raccoon City and the year 1998. Even that upcoming movie is going back to that year, as if Capcom does not have the balls to move to another era. Like, come on. Move things ahead, and stop doing remakes that suck, because you leave out enemies like the spiders and the crows, half bake it, and rush them out. And I cannot say a RE4 remake even interests me, because that game wrecked the survival horror genre to a degree, and if they remake it, people will soon notice all the missing stuff, because I know Capcom will change up the whole game, potentially ruining it. But I'm not really a guy who can proclaim to loving RE4, but it's still an impressive enough game. It's just nothing like the older ones. But Candy Stick has failed to persuade people otherwise...

Now for the RE2 and 3 remakes, the story should have been identical to the older games, and the 2002 remake was way more faithful. Why leave out Barry, for example? Wasn't he supposed to save Jill and Carlos!? 😞

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 is a noted rip off of The Last of Us, because of the first Bloater fight. You even leave via a window after it ends. Except that huge hulking thing is called a Vulcanblubber, that launches fire rather than fungal spores. But it's just the same boss battle, really. And they also copied the father-daughter theme, and there's a winter section where you shoot rabbits. So um, yeah. Nobody can deny that Capcom did not copy Naughty Dog's ideas. That's just stupid, and suggests they lack any originality anymore. However, this kind of rant normally falls on deaf eyes on places like GameFAQs, and they'll come at people all guns blazing if you say s*** about games they appreciate. 

My mouse is wonky. 

Edited by Shagger
Moderator edit to remove tags to make text appear as intended per the request of the original post's author.

Resident Evil is one of those franchises that I tried getting into numerous times because the games attained such a cult status.
I felt like I was obliged to like them if I want to call myself a gamer, but each time I was rebuffed. I just did not enjoy them very much.

The first game I tried was RE2, and the only thing that offered me was tedium.  I remember my friends raving about it, and we always played it when they were over, but I loathed it.

When the RE2 remake came out I gave it another shot and got much further than I ever did in the original. I was at the point where I thought I finally will get out of the dreaded police station, only for the game to make me go back in through a back door. And the whole tedious wandering around looking for something to do started again. That was the point where I quit the game for good this time.

I even tried RE3 remake, but it was just more of the same, and somehow even worse. So I didn't waste much time on it. The only thing that kept me going for a while was the ability o mod the character's appearance, that is the reason I bought the game in the first place. I thought if the character looked like someone I identified with better that would be enough to keep me playing the game, but alas the tedium was unbearable especially so soon after playing RE2.

As for RE4,5,6 I only played one of them, I don't even remember which, maybe the fifth. It was a mediocre action game, so not something that would redeem the franchise in my eyes.

Recently everyone was raving about how good RE8 Village is, but I was skeptical. I did not want to pay full price for a game that I'd probably end up hating. So I asked around among the fans, how different is RE7 from RE8. They said the two games are very similar conceptually. So I got RE7 to test the waters. I had low expectations, but not low enough. The game blew me away with how awful it was. It is a golden sample of everything I don't want in videogames.

So without further ado, here is the original short rant I posted after first playing RE7: Biohazard

This might be the worst "game" I ever had the misfortune of playing. Undercutting Sniper GW3, maybe even outriders.

Yeah, game in quotes, because this hardly qualifies as a game. It's just a string of scripted events with boring walking in between.
Occasionally interrupted by tedious cat and mouse games with invulnerable, unkillable enemies.
Oh and of course the cheapest kind of jump scares, that only make me angry with their predictability.

I abandoned RE2/RE3 remakes because they were quite tedious, but compared to this, they are master artworks of gaming, as this cranks tedium to over 9000.

Not to mention the ludicrous, outlandish "story" that no amount of suspension of disbelief can make even remotely immersive.
The premise of zombies is one thing, as long as the law of physics still applies. But I can't stomach total nonsense like gluing your leg back, or invincible zombies.
Also the fact that you have to play out the video recordings, is like kryptonite to immersion.

I'm glad I only paid $5 for this. Man, if Village is anything like RE7, count me the f out.

4 was the one that started the action heavy aspects of the franchise. Although all of them do have a lot of action oriented gameplay, to an extent. But it's almost like they just wanted to copy trends, and radically lower the horror, and they lied by saying RE8 was more action based, because 7 was apparently "too scary", when fans moaned for years to have Capcom go back to being true survival horror. So which is it? 

And no doubt this lying sadly, I reckon, will be continued...

On 11/20/2021 at 8:16 AM, Candy Stick said:

Long rant ahead...

*WARNING* 

I basically decided to stop caring about the franchise due to online trolls, and overall, Capcom's mismanagement of certain games and characters. And, well, personal issues has made me just not care any longer, since life is short.

For a number of years, I feel like Capcom hasn't been fully honest with their fans. For instance, they stole art work for the games, and were legally threatened. And by the way, they ripped off a bunch of movies and games, for RE7 especially, which didn't really feel like a RE game anyway. The Molded look so basic, because Capcom just wanted a new creature design that was plain easy to make on the screen. They just wanted to copy [i]Outlast[/i] type games as well, and probably due to the fact that [i]Silent Hills[/i] was cancelled into the bargain, they wanted to change over to the first person perspective. Yet everybody praised it. Although personally, it was strictly okay to me, but nothing like the classic games. Even RE6 (which I know many fans dislike) is more of a RE game than 7 is, because it had zombies, and many returning characters were featured. Perhaps a critical failure, but more in line with what RE used to provide than with 7, and especially 8. Plus, the C-Virus makes you think of the T and G-Viruses, because of the name. But yep. It could also remind you of COVID-19, so oops.

RE8 (aka [i]Village[/i[) is not necessarily so crap, I would not recommend it. But it's very underwhelming as a RE game. Feels mostly like an action game with Chris at least looking like Chris (instead of that lame new actor they got for the ending scene and DLC in RE7), but now he is making dumb, headstrong decisions and concealing info from Ethan Winters (the faceless new "face" of RE) just to pad out the story, and the bosses are laughable, even for RE standards. Like, a mutant baby, vampires, a robot, and a living doll are your antagonists this time around. Like, yeah, okay. RE4 had ogres and a pirate midget, and there was also a statue based on the pirate that somehow activates, and you have to run away, and the two games are similar, because of a village, a castle and a merchant being present. 

Now in my opinion, new RE Games are simply not terrifying. RE entries 1, 2, 3, 0, CV and the early spin offs had atmosphere and a good story. The new games hardly have any music or that same feeling of dread and eerieness. The game practically has a shopping system in it so you can go all Rambo on everything. So that's not even scary. If you have enough cash at hand, it's a breeze to survive, when all you need to do is find the Duke or the Merchant, and flog them treasures. 

And nostalgia often hurts this series; I honestly don't know how many times Capcom has revisited Raccoon City and the year 1998. Even that upcoming movie is going back to that year, as if Capcom does not have the balls to move to another era. Like, come on. Move things ahead, and stop doing remakes that suck, because you leave out enemies like the spiders and the crows, half bake it, and rush them out. And I cannot say a RE4 remake even interests me, because that game wrecked the survival horror genre to a degree, and if they remake it, people will soon notice all the missing stuff, because I know Capcom will change up the whole game, potentially ruining it. But I'm not really a guy who can proclaim to loving RE4, but it's still an impressive enough game. It's just nothing like the older ones. But thesaunderschild has failed to persuade people otherwise...

Now for the RE2 and 3 remakes, the story should have been identical to the older games, and the 2002 remake was way more faithful. Why leave out Barry, for example? Wasn't he supposed to save Jill and Carlos!? 😞

[i]Resident Evil: Revelations 2[/i] is a noted rip off of [i]The Last of Us[/i], because of the first Bloater fight. You even leave via a window after it ends. Except that huge hulking thing is called a Vulcanblubber, that launches fire rather than fungal spores. But it's just the same boss battle, really. And they also copied the father-daughter theme, and there's a winter section where you shoot rabbits. So um, yeah. Nobody can deny that Capcom did not copy Naughty Dog's ideas. That's just stupid, and suggests they lack any originality anymore. However, this kind of rant normally falls on deaf eyes on places like GameFAQs, and they'll come at people all guns blazing if you say s*** about games they appreciate. 

My mouse is wonky. 

Most of these game companies are always in the habit of copying other game's companies and even movies as well. Most of them are out of ideas and originality. Look at Bethesda with Skyrim, they copied a lot of other brands like Merlin, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones and so much more. So, I'm not surprised with how Capcom have been degenerative with the RE franchise. 

On 11/26/2021 at 6:41 AM, Candy Stick said:

No. It's in cinemas nationwide right now. 

I heard it's supposed to be more faithful to the games than Paul Anderson's line of Hollywood craziness. But it won't feel the same without the laser corridor, right? 😄

Ahhh, the laser corridor!!! That's an interesting piece of tech that I really love how it slices. It's one of the most lethal weapon/trap in the game. 

On 11/26/2021 at 11:14 PM, Justin11 said:

You might be given up on resident evil video games, bit resident evil series is one of the memorable franchise video game series of all time. 

Passion is a funny thing...

I may not like what Capcom has done to the series, BUT it's that love for the classics that keeps you wanting more. However, I think they're just repeating too much for to gain sales, because they just don't know how to make changes that make sense. So in their eyes, they probably think it's safer to offer up familiarity.

They even admitted that they get their ideas from Wikipedia. I'm not sure if anyone was aware of that, but somebody I know on Biohaze said that's what they do, business-wise. Because it's obvious that they likely hired a lot of new developers that had nothing to do with creating the older titles, so they go off of concepts they find on the Internet. You know? Written summaries from Wikipedia, which is a site that "anyone can edit" and no doubt, they also inspect art pieces. But you can tell they're failing. Not that new fans will notice. There's a lot of people who claim to be hardcore fans, yet they complain that they cannot comfortably play games like RE0 because of the camera angles and the outdated tank controls. Even though modern RE games are not that dissimilar to the style of the older games anyway, they'll act as if they are  fans, but that's the first thing they use as an excuse. Uh, okay. Maybe 'get good' or something. But hey, I don't know... 

Speaking of which, Wesker's long term voice actor D.C. Douglas just got into hot water for leaking art of Wesker in the RE4 remake, and for fear of being sued by Capcom, he has since gone and closed his Twitter account. Maybe it will be resolved and he could open it back up before it gets outright erased. 

Remakes are not new stories, though. What little new stories they do come up with, I feel they are usually quite silly and disappointing. Because everything about RE8 is just stupid, if you're someone who truly remembers completing games like the [first] remake, the original RE2, CVX, and even RE4, which RE8 basically tries to copy. But RE8 is a blemish on all of those games. 

And to think that RE8 could actually win the 2021 'Game of the Year' award. It's an underwhelming game, to be honest. But I was curious about the DLC that Capcom said was coming for free. They brought it up briefly at E3, back in June. I've heard zip about it since. That could involve Rosemary Winters with super powers and government agents, or some nonsense revolving around the tall vampire lady, who was not really in much of the base game, despite the focus on her in their advertisements...

12 hours ago, Candy Stick said:

Passion is a funny thing...

I may not like what Capcom has done to the series, BUT it's that love for the classics that keeps you wanting more. However, I think they're just repeating too much for to gain sales, because they just don't know how to make changes that make sense. So in their eyes, they probably think it's safer to offer up familiarity.

They even admitted that they get their ideas from Wikipedia. I'm not sure if anyone was aware of that, but somebody I know on Biohaze said that's what they do, business-wise. Because it's obvious that they likely hired a lot of new developers that had nothing to do with creating the older titles, so they go off of concepts they find on the Internet. You know? Written summaries from Wikipedia, which is a site that "anyone can edit" and no doubt, they also inspect art pieces. But you can tell they're failing. Not that new fans will notice. There's a lot of people who claim to be hardcore fans, yet they complain that they cannot comfortably play games like RE0 because of the camera angles and the outdated tank controls. Even though modern RE games are not that dissimilar to the style of the older games anyway, they'll act as if they are  fans, but that's the first thing they use as an excuse. Uh, okay. Maybe 'get good' or something. But hey, I don't know... 

Speaking of which, Wesker's long term voice actor D.C. Douglas just got into hot water for leaking art of Wesker in the RE4 remake, and for fear of being sued by Capcom, he has since gone and closed his Twitter account. Maybe it will be resolved and he could open it back up before it gets outright erased. 

Remakes are not new stories, though. What little new stories they do come up with, I feel they are usually quite silly and disappointing. Because everything about RE8 is just stupid, if you're someone who truly remembers completing games like the [first] remake, the original RE2, CVX, and even RE4, which RE8 basically tries to copy. But RE8 is a blemish on all of those games. 

And to think that RE8 could actually win the 2021 'Game of the Year' award. It's an underwhelming game, to be honest. But I was curious about the DLC that Capcom said was coming for free. They brought it up briefly at E3, back in June. I've heard zip about it since. That could involve Rosemary Winters with super powers and government agents, or some nonsense revolving around the tall vampire lady, who was not really in much of the base game, despite the focus on her in their advertisements...

I know you've typed all this things because you're speaking with experience around RE series. Capcom should take notice of the game, and try to fix things that makes the game underwhelm, lacking the through vibe which gamers expected to see. I played resident evil games in the post often especially from 1-4, I recently got to the seventh version recently. I never played much of it, but the little I've played, its quite okay, but the gameplay still needs over haul to make look more realistic.