Register Now
Knight Plug

I finally conceded, and have giving up on Resident Evil...

I know, but I am really sceptical about whether they can do any successful remake. They've shown that (with the exception of the first remake from 2002), that they're incapable of even keeping to the source material. 

When they remade RE1, they kept it the same, but expanded upon the premise in a way that was refreshing, and so that was a decision that was well received. The recent remakes overhauled everything, but then when it happened with both RE2 and 3, people chose only to offer harsh criticism for RE3 only, and not so much RE2.  

Don't see the necessity in Capcom remaking RE4 when it's already available on pretty much everything as it is. Of course, it could be argued that it has very outdated gameplay, so maybe that's one benefit to bringing it back. But in general, that game isn't even a true survival horror game anyway. They basically turned it into this action adventure game where enemies drop ammo, and you buy weapons from a vendor, which also isn't something that I feel belongs in horror games, because then it's obviously not really coming across as horror. Even the back of the case for the GameCube release says, "Forget survival horror".

They knew that they put the genre on the guillotine, and just when you thought RE7 was restoring the franchise back to its the roots, RE8 went back to the precise formula people asked to be changed.

It's surprising how people like RE4. I think it's a good action game, but it has no correlation to anything RE otherwise. I even think RE5 and 6 have a somewhat better connection to RE than 4 does, because of Wesker and the flowers in Africa, which was supposed to be where the T-Virus originated from. But it's a strange fandom. Some of the games that should receive more recognition, simply don't. So you could say RE4 is the one that's praised the most, making it come across as being kind of overrated.

15 hours ago, Boblee said:

Everything is all up to Capcom to decide what angle they are going to be following next with the remakes that they are supposed to make and not to make. 

There is absolutely nothing the gaming fans would do that's going to change their dispositions when it comes to what they desire to make. 

16 hours ago, Candy Stick said:

I know, but I am really sceptical about whether they can do any successful remake. They've shown that (with the exception of the first remake from 2002), that they're incapable of even keeping to the source material. 

When they remade RE1, they kept it the same, but expanded upon the premise in a way that was refreshing, and so that was a decision that was well received. The recent remakes overhauled everything, but then when it happened with both RE2 and 3, people chose only to offer harsh criticism for RE3 only, and not so much RE2.  

Don't see the necessity in Capcom remaking RE4 when it's already available on pretty much everything as it is. Of course, it could be argued that it has very outdated gameplay, so maybe that's one benefit to bringing it back. But in general, that game isn't even a true survival horror game anyway. They basically turned it into this action adventure game where enemies drop ammo, and you buy weapons from a vendor, which also isn't something that I feel belongs in horror games, because then it's obviously not really coming across as horror. Even the back of the case for the GameCube release says, "Forget survival horror".

They knew that they put the genre on the guillotine, and just when you thought RE7 was restoring the franchise back to its the roots, RE8 went back to the precise formula people asked to be changed.

It's surprising how people like RE4. I think it's a good action game, but it has no correlation to anything RE otherwise. I even think RE5 and 6 have a somewhat better connection to RE than 4 does, because of Wesker and the flowers in Africa, which was supposed to be where the T-Virus originated from. But it's a strange fandom. Some of the games that should receive more recognition, simply don't. So you could say RE4 is the one that's praised the most, making it come across as being kind of overrated.

Well, Capcom is yet to have the remake of Resident Evil 4 rolling out. Although, there are some rumor that the game is the works but I'm not sure if it can be proved. 

Yeah. People keep reporting on it as if Capcom anounced it were underway, but they haven't even really confirmed anything. On a side note, it seems that the Switch game may not be cancelled, but there just hasn't been an update about the development.

RE4 isn't even quite 20 years old yet, so I don't see the need to remake it in this much of a hurry. Maybe by 2025 to be in line with when it originally released, but it would make no sense to totally skip over remaking Code: Veronica first. CV after all, is a very important sequel where Chris is reunited with Claire. For the sake of keeping the fans happy, I think not going ahead with it would just muck up everything they've been working hard at. RE4 also has nothing to do with Umbrella's downfall, so maybe this is the time to right some of those wrongs.

Not that I'm all that keen on the remakes anyway. They are not new storylines. It's merely signs of a company needing to depend on nostalgia driven gamers, who want a new take on something they can never let go of. But really - I'd just recommend playing the classics. Nobody who truly loves retro survival horror titles could care less about the camera angles, the tank controls, the cheesy dialogue, and all the other things people say is old, and needs "updated" and sundry, and hereby, ruined as a result.

Edited by Candy Stick
Annoyingly enough, these tags just refuse to work for me.

7 hours ago, Candy Stick said:

Yeah. People keep reporting on it as if Capcom anounced it were underway, but they haven't even really confirmed anything. On a side note, it seems that the Switch game may not be cancelled, but there just hasn't been an update about the development.

RE4 isn't even quite 20 years old yet, so I don't see the need to remake it in this much of a hurry. Maybe by 2025 to be in line with when it originally released, but it would make no sense to totally skip over remaking Code: Veronica first. CV after all, is a very important sequel where Chris is reunited with Claire. For the sake of keeping the fans happy, I think not going ahead with it would just muck up everything they've been working hard at. RE4 also has nothing to do with Umbrella's downfall, so maybe this is the time to right some of those wrongs.

Not that I'm all that keen on the remakes anyway. They are not new storylines. It's merely signs of a company needing to depend on nostalgia driven gamers, who want a new take on something they can never let go of. But really - I'd just recommend playing the classics. Nobody who truly loves retro survival horror titles could care less about the camera angles, the tank controls, the cheesy dialogue, and all the other things people say is old, and needs "updated" and sundry, and hereby, ruined as a result.

Personally, I'm not really pushy about getting the any remake on Resident Evil 4 for now and I'm very sure that if they should rush it, it's going to end up like the crap they usually do. 

12 hours ago, Candy Stick said:

....Nobody who truly loves retro survival horror titles could care less about the camera angles, the tank controls, the cheesy dialogue, and all the other things people say is old, and needs "updated" and sundry, and hereby, ruined as a result.

It's actually why retro survival horror titles are made the way they are. If you are looking for better camera angles and swift control, then you're not interested in playing retro games. 

18 hours ago, Candy Stick said:

I don't see a need to remake RE4 either. It still stands up today for what it tried to do all those years back. But I know Capcom want to remaster this game somehow. I would rather they just do a fancy HD upscale and maybe fix some gameplay stuff, but that's it. I don't think this game needs to be re-made from the ground up. At least not for another 10 years or more. 

14 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I don't see a need to remake RE4 either. It still stands up today for what it tried to do all those years back. But I know Capcom want to remaster this game somehow. I would rather they just do a fancy HD upscale and maybe fix some gameplay stuff, but that's it. I don't think this game needs to be re-made from the ground up. At least not for another 10 years or more. 

Seriously, even if it's going to be remade, it's not now that it's needed in my opinion. But when has Capcom ever cared about the opinion of gamers? 🙄 

10 hours ago, Heatman said:

Seriously, even if it's going to be remade, it's not now that it's needed in my opinion. But when has Capcom ever cared about the opinion of gamers? 🙄 

In most cases, I don't even give a damn about them remaking the game RE 4 as long the original remains intact and available for play, why stress myself too? 

Well, RE 3.5 (the early RE4 that got scrapped) was supposedly going to be quite "supernatural" in nature, but I think there was a virus that made you see things, so that was the actual culprit, and not because of real ghosts being a threat. Had they done that, people would have been so irate that a franchise based on science ended up selling out. Was meant to have an invincible Hook Man that pursued Leon as well, and there was living dolls. Something tells me Angie (the living doll in RE8) may have been inspired by that. But RE 3.5 certainly inspired Devil May Cry.

But anyway, the Van Helsing type BS that Capcom inserted, doesn't belong in RE. I also think RE8's storybook intro was like watching a Tim Burton movie. Not the biggest fan of RE8, as it doesn't feel like a RE game. Even less so than RE7 is, although some of that game was also pretty stupid too, like when that old guy in the marshes finds a metallic, power glove just sitting around, which he uses on his mutated brother in a boxing match. That was so LOL, it was beyond cheesy.

I get that RE has alway been campy, but I'll always prefer the George Romero feel as opposed to the backwoods, cannibalism crap, and the mould monsters, and everything in RE8. Like when you see Heisenberg becoming a Transformer-ish boss, and you use that massive tank. That entire game is so dumb, it's beyond comprehension as to why fanboys constantly defend it. And for once, people on GameFAQs actually sided with me when I made a thread there to mention how this ridiculous stuff is wrecking the series.

Edited by Candy Stick
My Android TV box is being sluggish.

11 hours ago, Boblee said:

In most cases, I don't even give a damn about them remaking the game RE 4 as long the original remains intact and available for play, why stress myself too? 

Seriously, that basically solves everything in that case because even with the new remake, it's not going to change anything about the original version of the game. 

If anything, they will butcher it, just like the RE3 remake was a disaster. In fact, it's not even really a remake anyway, since they cut out so much of the original game. Just nothing more than another reimagining, half-baked for the sheep that don't understand it's another cash grab.

However, I do support the idea of improving the shooting and gameplay overall. You know? The aiming in the original is pretty lousy by today's standards. But otherwise, I don't think it needs to be remade. There's some stuff they could change, though. 

5 minutes ago, Candy Stick said:

If anything, they will butcher it, just like the RE3 remake was a disaster. In fact, it's not even really a remake anyway, since they cut out so much of the original game. Just nothing more than another reimagining, half-baked for the sheep that don't understand it's another cash grab.

However, I do support the idea of improving the shooting and gameplay overall. You know? The aiming in the original is pretty lousy by today's standards. But otherwise, I don't think it needs to be remade. There's some stuff they could change, though. 

Yeah exactly, I do believe that they can do something about the shooting and aiming but it's not just enough to ask for a remake don't you think so? 

3 hours ago, Candy Stick said:

Sometimes I get to sit and ask questions about what's their end motive in picking up a perfect original game and have it ridiculously downgraded to shambles? 

Nah. I don't think Capcom can rebound from their past failures. To be honest, these remakes and first person games are probably all they have left. They're also never going to clear up any of the loose ends, like those in games such as RE6. Any game that ends up a failure, they ignore it, but it's still considered to be canon.

I think Capcom and Konami go hand in hand anyway. Years ago, Konami decided to be stupid and let go of Team Silent. That was truly the end of the Silent Hill franchise, and not just because of their massive falling out with Hideo Kojima, which happened much later on. Yet people seem to think Kojima was the mastermind behind the series from the beginning, when he wasn't. He only worked on one game, where we received nothing more than a demo, for a game that was ultimately cancelled. But Google his name. He is talked about more than Team Silent is. That's rather sad. 

Of course, that he left, certainly didn't help matters. But Konami were on a slippery slope beforehand. So in a similar way, Shinji Mikami not being with Capcom any more, is why Capcom is free to disgrace it more and more. But really. Konami ruined the series long before Kojima's departure. Capcom's obviously just going with the flow today, and copying everything. Hence their lawsuits.