Register Now
Knight Plug

I finally conceded, and have giving up on Resident Evil...

I don't know if they can. Putting a winter section in the game where you hunt rabbits is not really something you can add copyright to. The same with the enemies. They just do similar things. So not sure how it would hold up in court. Like, I don't think John Carpenter could prosecute everybody who makes a slasher film, insisting they are blatantly copying his work, because of a similar concept. 

Capcom will exploit these loopholes any way they can. 

I don't play a wide range of games, but after I heard what people were saying on YouTube, I discovered gamers had made similar discoveries to my own, further proving they just follow the latest trends. 

Sometimes, copying something can pay off. 

The Asylum is a company that makes "mockbuster" films, to slag off pop culture. Yet very occasionally, they can release something worthwhile. Like for example, Z Nation is supposed to be a copy of The Walking Dead with hardly any of the budget of the AMC series, but it has its fans. Me personally, I like it loads. 

But with Capcom, I guess I can see why they feel they need to stay relevant. They are in the top ten video games developers lists just about everywhere online, no doubt, so they cannot keep producing the exact same thing and end up boring. Even so, though. When you do something that's copying, it can feel shallow, because it doesn't seem all that original when you cut and paste everything across...

17 hours ago, Boblee said:

To a reasonable extent, the new trends are what's supposed to be followed in a way to keep up with what really matters to gamers in most cases. Capcom is definitely going to exploit that. 

That's what Capcom should be focusing on order to improve more abd bring in what gamers really loved to see. 

So what was the last RE game any of you played, and which entry do you like the most? 

For me, it's RE2 because it's overall just greatness. But I think the best looking one and the scariest one, is the first remake from 2002. That's nearly 20 years old, in fact. But hey, I don't mind that one bit. 

RE4 is a fun action game, even if it does feel dated. But in terms of the overall plot, I have never been a big fan of RE4, because they it moved the franchise away from its horror origins, and killed off Umbrella in an unsatisfactory way. On the other hand, it probably saved the franchise, because I think horror by itself is a very niche genre, and action games have a broader audience. So Capcom kind of sold out, but it was beneficial for the future of the series. Had they kept doing games in the same manner, they'd be like Konami just now. So take the rough with the smooth. It was maybe a necessary decision. 

Now that Capcom was back on form with RE7, they made RE8 into action again. They said that it's because people found RE7 too scary, but I don't really believe that is something the vast majority would proclaim. People actually wanted RE to go back to the horror stuff, because RE4, 5 and 6 were devoid of the atmosphere of the older titles. So you can probably guess that RE8 is almost identical to RE4 because of the action oriented approach 4 utilised, so of course nobody would find it scary because they contrast with each other.

To me, I think they just needed something to say if anybody asked Capcom upfront why 8 is the polar opposite to the style of 7. But this begs the question: What will they do for RE9? Will it be horror, action, or both? 

10 hours ago, Candy Stick said:

RE4 is a fun action game, even if it does feel dated. But in terms of the overall plot, I have never been a big fan of RE4, because they it moved the franchise away from its horror origins, and killed off Umbrella in an unsatisfactory way. On the other hand, it probably saved the franchise, because I think horror by itself is a very niche genre, and action games have a broader audience. So Capcom kind of sold out, but it was beneficial for the future of the series. Had they kept doing games in the same manner, they'd be like Konami just now. So take the rough with the smooth. It was maybe a necessary decision. 

Now that Capcom was back on form with RE7, they made RE8 into action again. They said that it's because people found RE7 too scary, but I don't really believe that is something the vast majority would proclaim. People actually wanted RE to go back to the horror stuff, because RE4, 5 and 6 were devoid of the atmosphere of the older titles. So you can probably guess that RE8 is almost identical to RE4 because of the action oriented approach 4 utilised, so of course nobody would find it scary because they contrast with each other.

To me, I think they just needed something to say if anybody asked Capcom upfront why 8 is the polar opposite to the style of 7. But this begs the question: What will they do for RE9? Will it be horror, action, or both? 

It might as well be the combination of both horror and action since they have been bombarded with what their fans wanted for years. 

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

It might as well be the combination of both horror and action since they have been bombarded with what their fans wanted for years. 

Now, the real question is when last did Capcom give the gamers what they really clamored about over the years since after Resident Evil 2?

10 hours ago, Boblee said:

Now, the real question is when last did Capcom give the gamers what they really clamored about over the years since after Resident Evil 2?

Yeah, your quite correct there. Everything has been what Capcom wants and not about what the gamers really need. 

What do you think of the RE sub-forums over at GameFAQs? 

Trying to have a logical conversation, chat or whatever with those users, is a lost cause. You can tell that these members likely never even tried any of the games with the fixed camera perspective, going by all the shilling they do on there. It's rather telling, to be honest.

After you post, they reply with all of this nonsense, accusing you of having an alternate account. Like, really? I don't need to sign up multiple profiles to attempt to win a debate with GameFAQs of all sites, as that's classed as cheating and is really incredibly pointless. Oh my Lord. 

19 minutes ago, Candy Stick said:

Trying to have a logical conversation, chat or whatever with those users, is a lost cause. You can tell that these members likely never even tried any of the games with the fixed camera perspective, going by all the shilling they do on there. It's rather telling, to be honest.

After you post, they reply with all of this nonsense, accusing you of having an alternate account. Like, really? I don't need to sign up multiple profiles to attempt to win a debate with GameFAQs of all sites, as that's classed as cheating and is really incredibly pointless. Oh my Lord. 

As far as I can tell, they aren't really worth the stress and just like you mentioned, most of them hardly played any of these games. 

On 1/25/2022 at 9:46 AM, Candy Stick said:

They are bunch of miscreants that don't even know anything about the game or basically just watched the game's trailers. From their talks, you will definitely find out they know nothing. 

5 hours ago, Heatman said:

They are bunch of miscreants that don't even know anything about the game or basically just watched the game's trailers. From their talks, you will definitely find out they know nothing. 

Personally, once I get a whiff that you don't know exactly or anything about the subject being discussed, I'm definitely ignoring the person immediately.