Register Now
m76

What can cause you to rage quit a game?

What is that specific thing or things that make you rage quit games?

It's not just about loosing the game, or dying. At least not for me. If I loose because I made mistakes or wasn't concentrating enough, or missed some detail, then fair enough that I loose, that doesn't make me mad at all. It only makes me more determined to try harder.

• One thing that can make me rage quit if I loose due to circumstances out of my control. I do everything perfectly, and I still loose due to a roll of the dice by the game. Especially if this happens more than once in a short period of time.

• Another thing that can send me into a rage is if I feel that what is required of me is literally impossible. It's not that I just fall a bit short and if I improve my technique I can succeed. But I do my best and I don't even come close to defeating the enemy or getting through that section of the game.

• The next thing that can make me incredibly mad is loosing progress. I pass a long and challenging section and then something stupid and unexpected happens that makes me loose all that progress. This is the most trivial thing, and why games should have manual save options or at least have their checkpoints properly placed right after hard encounters.

• When I feel I did everything the best of my abilities, I didn't make any mistakes, but somehow I still end up loosing. There is no recourse here, I know I did everything perfectly, and no way I can improve further. So trying again is pointless.

• And finally this might be a strange thing to rage quit over, but when the story takes an utterly stupid turn out of my control, that I absolutely don't agree with. Like forced failures or the player character doing something mindless and out of character that I'd never allow to happen if I were in actual control.
Edited by m76

10 hours ago, m76 said:

What is that specific thing or things that make you rage quit games?

It's not just about loosing the game, or dying. At least not for me. If I loose because I made mistakes or wasn't concentrating enough, or missed some detail, then fair enough that I loose, that doesn't make me mad at all. It only makes me more determined to try harder.

• One thing that can make me rage quit if I loose due to circumstances out of my control. I do everything perfectly, and I still loose due to a roll of the dice by the game. Especially if this happens more than once in a short period of time.
  • The next thing that can make me incredibly mad is loosing progress. I pass a long and challenging section and then something stupid and unexpected happens that makes me loose all that progress. This is the most trivial thing, and why games should have manual save options or at least have their checkpoints properly placed right after hard encounters.

These two are the main things that annoy me in certain games especially the former when the game is buggy that it makes the experience a thousand times harder.

2 hours ago, Justin11 said:

When the game-play is ridiculous, and too buggy, very much unrealistic I don't fancy my chances playing far too long. It will simply lead to rage quit immediately. 

That's true - it's simply unplayable. It doesn't make much sense wasting energy on a game like that...

14 hours ago, killamch89 said:

That's true - it's simply unplayable. It doesn't make much sense wasting energy on a game like that...

Their is no time wasting my time when the game isn't impressing me. I wouldn't spare the time from deleting the game or bringing the CD out to flip it off. 

I typically don't rage quit, per say, but I can walk away from a game when...

Getting to the very end, or being in the lead in a match with little to no time left and still losing, somehow. 

Unbearable gameplay to the point of the game being secondary to the horrible controls. 

Or when the story does indeed go into left field for no reason whatsoever, a silly twist that ruins a game. 

Then I'll walk away and leave that game alone completely, but otherwise I like to finish what I start.

On 11/20/2021 at 3:40 AM, m76 said:
  • Another thing that can send me into a rage is if I feel that what is required of me is literally impossible. It's not that I just fall a bit short and if I improve my technique I can succeed. But I do my best and I don't even come close to defeating the enemy or getting through that section of the game.

Exactly. When a game has a task or dungeon that is simply impossible to do, I lose my mind. I have been playing Zelda: Goddess Of Wisdom for 6 years now, and the way it's designed, I have only beaten 3 dungeons. It put bosses from Link To The Past in it, but the ones who scripted it, over powered them, and they're near impossible to beat. And on top of that, normal sword slashes pass right through most of the time, doing absolutely no damage. So you have to figure out what attack mode actually damages them while trying to not die.

A challenge is great. An unbeatable challenge is unfair and cruel.

Games with tight time limits bug me. Can't stand being rushed to complete a mission. As well, I can't stand when you have to make precise movements to get to certain areas or progress. 

Also, anything that requires luck to get through, bugs me as well. Also, if something is excessively tough, and I can't get through it, I just give up. 

I found that I have very little patience for hard games these days. I just want to play and have fun. I'm not much for a challenge these days. I think it's because I work a lot and don't get much free time to game. But I still find time, just prefer something that doesn't take me ages to get through. 

Edited by Kane99