Register Now
Sharon

How do you feel about Gamestop?

I haven't been to a Gamestop store in a long time. I couldn't even tell you the last time I was in there. I used to frequent them and liked the option to buy used games at a discounted rate especially if I felt like I wasn't 100% convinced that I'd like the game and keep it. I always seemed to have a stack of games I no longer liked to play and would put the credits towards a new title I was curious about. 

Always fun to walk around in.  Anyway, I'm sure used games are always cheaper than say, Wal-Mart.  Nonetheless, used games might not always be the better deal. Anyway, maybe Gamestop usually has a better selection of games than non-gaming stores.  Can anyone clue me in on this?

Who has sold games to Gamestop?  Who has worked there or be a person buying most of their games there?  How would you compare it to other gaming stores or non-gaming stores?

Edited by Jayson

I shop there a lot. I have gotten to know the employees really well on a customer basis, and their selection is better than anywhere around here. And if one store doesn't have a game/item you're looking for, they're always willing to see if any other stores in the area have it.

I've personally never had a bad experience there.

On 11/23/2021 at 5:14 PM, Techno said:

Use to shop there for Nintendo Switch cards, but after I discovered Game Pass I haven't really spent much money outside of Xbox.

Does GameStop video game consoles and accessories cheaper than that of Amazon store, Alibaba, Aliexpress? 

On 11/21/2021 at 4:59 PM, Sharon said:

I haven't been to a Gamestop store in a long time. I couldn't even tell you the last time I was in there. I used to frequent them and liked the option to buy used games at a discounted rate especially if I felt like I wasn't 100% convinced that I'd like the game and keep it. I always seemed to have a stack of games I no longer liked to play and would put the credits towards a new title I was curious about. 

Gamestop is quite a decent game store in my opinion because over the years that I have used it, I haven't had any bad experiences with it. 

I used to go there once in a while after it opened up here, but I rarely have gone since. I got the game informer mag one time around, and maybe purchased 4 games around that whole year. And ever since I've pre-ordered a couple games and that was it. I stopped in to their store a couple times over the years, but never actually purchased anything. 

3 hours ago, Boblee said:

I've not actually made use of GameStop in the past and it's not that I don't want to use it but I can't access the website because its services is limited to my country.

Some online shopping websites are like that especially the ones that are US based. They seem to be very picky with where they sell their products to. 

We don't have GameStop in the UK, our equivilant is GAME. The people there are nice and are enthusiastic about their games, but it must be draining to know that you make people miserable constantly asking about all the different schemes that make the shop more money. It's why I made a point about not working there when looking for retail jobs after college, it just sucked the fun out of the hobby to tell people to buy used versions of games, or pre-order things, or buy into some new reward system that was cumbersome to explain and deal with. Not to mention it's becoming anything but a video game retail store, rather offloading pre-order tat and merch vaguely related to video games and entertainment pop culture.

They are only people though. So the brand, especially with how it treated employees at the beginning of Covid-19, is awful, but the people there are typically a pleasant bunch.

3 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

We don't have GameStop in the UK, our equivilant is GAME. The people there are nice and are enthusiastic about their games, but it must be draining to know that you make people miserable constantly asking about all the different schemes that make the shop more money. It's why I made a point about not working there when looking for retail jobs after college, it just sucked the fun out of the hobby to tell people to buy used versions of games, or pre-order things, or buy into some new reward system that was cumbersome to explain and deal with. Not to mention it's becoming anything but a video game retail store, rather offloading pre-order tat and merch vaguely related to video games and entertainment pop culture.

They are only people though. So the brand, especially with how it treated employees at the beginning of Covid-19, is awful, but the people there are typically a pleasant bunch.

GameStop is exactly the same. There are tons of reports though, of management treating the employees like shit, and it being an extremely toxic place to work, however. But I still shop there. And if I have a question about a game, they are always knowledgeable and more than ready to help.