Register Now
Jayson

Games That are Too Easy

The original Mario is simply too easy for me, not being arrogant.  I can beat the whole game in a few hours, maybe one hour I think.  It's because I'm not a kid.   Anyway, what problem does this phenomenon hold for you?  Can you truly still enjoy these simple games?

Final Fantasy XIII is one that comes to mind. The combat looked cool, but wasn't nearly as engaging or complex as it appeared. The party AI learned easily how to fight the enemies and how to exploit elemental weaknesses and so on with no real command nor input from the player. So that pretty much cancelled out the strategy elements of combat, and with without the level of skill based input that one would see in a Tales game, for example, that turned combat into a tedious chore. Grinding was also powerful at times in the game, so even though there were barriers and limits to how far you could lever the characters until you got to the next part of the story, you could still get the party well ahead of the game and build up points to spend to make the party well overpowered when the levelling system opened up again.

Edited by Shagger
Corrected a typo, I meant to refer to Final Fantasy XIII, not Final Fantasy XII

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

Final Fantasy XII is one that comes to mind. The combat looked cool, but wasn't nearly as engaging or complex as it appeared. The party AI learned easily how to fight the enemies and how to exploit elemental weaknesses and so on with no real command nor input from the player. So that pretty much cancelled out the strategy elements of combat, and with without the level of skill based input that one would see in a Tales game, for example, that turned combat into a tedious chore. Grinding was also powerful at times in the game, so even though there were barriers and limits to how far you could lever the characters until you got to the next part of the story, you could still get the party well ahead of the game and build up points to spend to make the party well overpowered when the levelling system opened up again.

These are some of the main reasons I never liked FF XXII in the first place. The story wasn't really that engaging to me either - I mean characters like Gabranth, Vayne and Vaan had cool designs and cool-looking moves but the gameplay just really lacked any real substance.

21 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

These are some of the main reasons I never liked FF XXII in the first place. The story wasn't really that engaging to me either - I mean characters like Gabranth, Vayne and Vaan had cool designs and cool-looking moves but the gameplay just really lacked any real substance.

Sorry, I actually make a typo. I meant FFXIII. FFXII actually was a fairly challenging game at times as a strategy experience. The gambit system automated a lot of the combat, but it was still up to the player to set them up to suit each situation, especially against the tougher marks. FFXII took that away and instead had the characters "learn" the strategy on thier own.

Not that FFXII didn't have issues, especially the original release. If FFXIII's levelling system was too restrictive (and it was), the FFXII's was way too open. It had a rubbish tutorial, it was cryptic, made a characters strength depend almost entirely on the gear they used and left the only way to level the characters efficiently was pretty to make them all exactly the same. Thankfully, FFXII The Zodiac Age fixed a lot of these issues by introducing a class system. If you haven't tried that version, I'd highly recommend it.

I'd also have to disagree on FFXII as a storytelling experience. I thought it was on of the most mature and complex, yet relatable stories a Final Fantasy game has ever had.

Edited by Shagger

It depends on the game. For instance, Mario Bros 3 was pretty much designed around the fact that you couldn't save. There were so many different pathways and secrets that the idea behind clearing the game wasn't simply: "Finish every level" but: "Find your personal best path to the end." You played multiple times to find the best solution, in what is sort of a meta-challenge.

I have several games to mention, but I'll stick with just a few.

NES -
The Legend Of Zelda:
This one is so easy. The bosses in almost every dungeon were the same dragon. There was no real challenge in any of the dungeons. The only challenge was finding a couple of them. The gameplay mechanics
were simple and straightforward, but it was still enjoyable. But you also have to consider the hardware and its limitations.

Zelda II The Adventure Of Link:
This one was just as easy as the first. It was a bit annoying with not being able to wield items, but spells instead. The gameplay sucked, but it was still easy as hell. The only challenging part was getting the hammer. The red Daira was a pain ti get past since you're in such a tight space, but it is doable if you're fast enough. And Shadow Link? Pussy to the max.

PS1 -
Final Fantasy VIII:
One of my absolute favorites. But aside from a few cryptic things, such as finding a few of the GF's and finding your way out of Caraway's mansion, the game is uber easy. The side missions add a hell of a lot, but they're nothing to worry about with one exception. The Queen Of Cards quest is infuriating as it's next to impossible unless you follow about a thousand cryptic steps to manipulate Triple Triad's rules to get it to play with only the rules you want.

Multiple Nintendo Systems -
Mario games:
I can't pick one as they're all so simple and easy.

On 11/22/2021 at 7:49 AM, Empire said:

It depends on the game. For instance, Mario Bros 3 was pretty much designed around the fact that you couldn't save. There were so many different pathways and secrets that the idea behind clearing the game wasn't simply: "Finish every level" but: "Find your personal best path to the end." You played multiple times to find the best solution, in what is sort of a meta-challenge.

Mario 3 is still enjoyable - even as an adult.