Register Now
DeadGhost77

Recommend me an RPG for PS4

I notice I haven't made a proper reply to this thread either, so here goes...

202221617154992_1.jpg.b6a023fa128fb2e1cb6fe94496ca1f15.jpg

Horizon Zero Dawn and Horizon Forbidden West

To be honest, I'm not completely sure if it's accurate to call these games RPG's strictly. To me, they feel like open world action adventure games with RPG elements. But hey, if Assassin's Creed counts as an RPG, I suppose these do as well. Exiting and at time very challenging strategy based combat, gorgeous environments, stunning graphics and a unique style and setting. The story is enthralling and empowering in the way it ties together around our hero's own personal journey. One of the reasons I would be a little hesitant to recommend this to hardcore RPG fans is that, especially in the first game, the RPG elements a a little light and simplistic, but they function and the systems work into the combat well enough to make your approach matter and every victory and loss feels like your own. These could be amongst my favourite games of all time and no PS4 collection is complete without them.

b8247b47-c1e7-4f69-b4b4-33a667a613dc.thumb.jpeg.016680625e9e2d2678e1b11e2915ac68.jpeg

Tales of Berseria

This was actually the first games in the long running Tales' series that I had played. Not that that was a problem because like Final Fantasy, each games tells in own enclosed story, so aside from a some cameos and other bits and pieces of fan service, there is no need to know anything about other games in the series. Graphically, the game was a bit out of date even buy the standard of it's 2017 release date but that shouldn't put you off. Frantic and complex combat, a phenomenal, dark, emotional story with a great mix of action, drama, twists and turns and even a fair amount of comedy. Getting the best out of any Tales' game requires a significant investment of time, but in the case of Berseria, it's well worth it.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.fd79437dbc8e11e721b9296c770df72c.jpg

Tales of Arise

The next game I want to talk about is.. well, the next and most recent Tales game, Tales of Arise. I must confess this is a little bit of cheating as I actually played the game on PC, not PS4, but it is available on PS4 as well. I also am not going to go into any detail here as I did publish a full review of the game on the VGR forum, and you can find that here. Suffice to say, whilst I didn't enjoy this as much as Tales of Berseria, I still loved my time with it and would recommend it to any JRPG fan.

H2x1_NSwitchDS_ChildOfLightUltimateEdition_image1600w.thumb.jpg.b15ae1f5fade84eecd199e46f4e67bcd.jpg

Child of Light

I've said in the past that I do not consider video games to be a form of art. Anyone who wants an in-depth explanation as to why can check out this topic, but if there is one game that qualifies as a piece of pure art, it's this. Not contempt with being one of the most visually unique and beautiful games ever made with a sublime soundtrack, it's everything about it that screams art and style. Even the dialogue in of itself is a piece of art as it's all written as poetry. Essentially, it's a 2D side-scrolling RPG with turn based combat and a levelling system based on collecting from enemies. As you could imagine, the story is emotional and heartfelt with an uplifting, positive vibe, but to be honest, those are the side dishes. The protein on this plate is the way it looks and feels to play. It's stunning to look at and soothing, yet so satisfying to control. It's one of the best games Ubisoft has put out over the last decade and I find it's often overlooked. A real triumph.

I think that will do for now. I was going to include the Final Fantasy X/X-2 remaster, but to be honest, one is far better off playing that one on PC though Steam, so as much as I love that one I'm leaving off this list. Well, that's some of my favourites.