Register Now
The Blackangel

How safe is VR?

It's my understanding that VR has to be played through a headset that would cover your eyes. It's also my understanding that a lot of it would require you to move around. After all the reports of people getting hurt when they were playing Pokemon Go, I just wonder whether VR would even be safe unless a person sets aside a room in their house to leave empty for them to play VR games.

Now I know little to nothing about VR, so those more educated on the subject, please educate me. My ignorance is my issue here.

You do need some space; each time you put on the head set of Oculus you either have to create a space or use what is saved. All you do is use the hand control to draw a circle around you and that space will alert you if you move a body part outside of it while playing. It looks like a shield around you that flashes if you go outside it. Something like that; I’m not very descriptive. If you game in the same spot it will save the circle setting. But most games you have to play standing up, or in a chair that turns. But there are some games where you can sit without moving; that is where they need more of. I don’t know how many different VR headsets there are. And VR headsets for consoles are probably different too. Those I assume you can always sit and play. But You have to remember not to get carried away swinging or something while playing and cross your zone. I played a really fun roller coaster game on Oculus and you seriously can fall over losing balance. It is amazingly real like. Maybe one day they will have special VR chairs!!!

I've seen enough funny videos online to know that I would not be safe in virtual reality! I can't even walk through my house without my arms flinging out at a wall or doorknob so I can't imagine how I'd be at VR.

Now if I could have a padded room to play the games in then that would be ideal. My own little gaming room. I think I like that idea.

For eyes? I am sure more than 1 hour and you would be having issues if you are over 30. I am sure young ones can handle a bit longer. Not sure about how safe psychologically using the VR headset and staying in metaverse games. For now everything looks within safe limits. 

If you do not have the correct ipd setting you can badly damage your eyes, if you're a child/early teens it can effect rem sleep and eye damage if set up wrong. being physically active playing VR will help your cardio conditioning and possibly weight loss. On the other hand improperly adjusting the IPD and focus of the screens/lenses could lead to eye strain.

I don't do VR because I'm afraid that I'd end up breaking other stuff in the room while I'd be playing the game. 

I can see this being good exercise while enjoying playing a video game if you weren't concerned about breaking anything inside your house. 

I think it's safe for the most part, but it's really about whether you are able to stay in it for long. Like, you don't want to sit in a VR headset for days. Though there are some who actually do that, and they seem to be fine. I know Muta from someordinarygamers (Sorry if I spelled his name wrong) has slept in VR minecraft because he has insomnia and can't sleep otherwise. And hey, if it helps you in that way, awesome. 

But I know some people can't play VR for too long before they get a headache or motion sickness. I myself haven't had the chance to play in VR yet, but I really want to. But that's the thing. I don't know if playing for too long will bother me, or if it'll be easy. But I want to try. 

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Safe or not, VR is something I simply can't do because I'm in a wheelchair. I don't have the mobility to be able to play it. My situation sucks, but there's nothing I can do about it.

How did it happen that you're on wheelchair? I know you aren't on wheelchair before, so sad. 

Back to topic: 

I never tried it on my own, but it's something I wished to try at some point in my career, so I can tell the story about VR. I don't want to be left behind like a real novice, I just want to share my experience at some point in the future when discussions emerges around VR. 

3 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Safe or not, VR is something I simply can't do because I'm in a wheelchair. I don't have the mobility to be able to play it. My situation sucks, but there's nothing I can do about it.

Not necessarily. I hear that there are many games you can play in VR that don't require you to be standing or moving around. I get with VR it helps with immersion to be able to move around in that world, but I imagine there are many games that allow you to move with just the controllers. I've seen people stand in place playing VR games, so I imagine some games could still work while being in a wheelchair. 

Only issue I'd see is the wires posing a problem, but there are new headsets coming out often that are wireless. 

18 hours ago, Justin11 said:

How did it happen that you're on wheelchair? I know you aren't on wheelchair before, so sad.

I've been in a wheelchair for almost 10 years. That's long before I joined the forum here. @DC would have to confirm the date he launched VGR, but I think this is even before VGR existed. As to why, I have advanced Muscular Dystrophy. It's a neuromuscular disease which is mainly degenerative to muscle tissue, and causes impairment to the cognitive faculties. If I try to stand, I fall. A place local worked with the MDA and my insurance to get me a powerchair. I got one and it didn't cost me a penny.

16 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Only issue I'd see is the wires posing a problem, but there are new headsets coming out often that are wireless.

My best friend's boyfriend has a VR set that has wireless controls. He plays CoD on it all the time. It's his favorite game. As I've said before, I can't play military games. So unless new games come out that are fantasy, I don't see me using it anytime soon. Also, first person is something I've never been able to do.

2 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I've been in a wheelchair for almost 10 years. That's long before I joined the forum here. @DC would have to confirm the date he launched VGR, but I think this is even before VGR existed. As to why, I have advanced Muscular Dystrophy. It's a neuromuscular disease which is mainly degenerative to muscle tissue, and causes impairment to the cognitive faculties. If I try to stand, I fall. A place local worked with the MDA and my insurance to get me a powerchair. I got one and it didn't cost me a penny.

That's so sad to hear, you've been living strong with it, 10 years is long and not 10 days. Stay strong, the lord is your strength. Enjoy your favourite games since you don't need to spend time enough working offline. Provided your hand is there, you can play lots of beautiful games, and even go VR, and travel with your both leg, and enjoy VR activities with @Rain Dew where you guys walk it down to shopping 😂

8 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

That's not something appropriate to say to me. I'm Satanic, so saying something like that to me is extremely offensive, disrespectful, and insulting.

Don't do it again.

Sorry, Satan is your strength.