Register Now
Kane99

How much training do esports players do?

I knew from the onset that I wouldn't be able to play video games competitively though  I was good at league of legends but I knew it would take much of the fun I derive from it if I only played it as a form of practice to win a competition.

I can't say how much of their time those competitive gamers devote to it but I know they spend a lot of time preparing just to be so good at it.

6 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah it's crazy how much esports players have to play. I couldn't do it myself, because you have to stick with mostly one game for the whole day. And honestly I don't think I could do that. I do play games for long hours sometimes, but I don't think I could do it for a whole day, at least not these days. 

Hmm, I can't do that at the moment. It was possible in the past during my teen years. Even if I love MGP games, I can't devote more than 1-2 hours a day playing the games. So, even if I got to play that one as an esports player, I can't imagine sitting one place and playing the game, unless the salary per week, month is worth it indeed. Then I'll know, I'm playing for the money. 

And the thing about esports is, do you even have the time to devote to gaming so long? As well, can you mentally do it? I imagine gaming all day, nearly everyday can be exhausting. Especially if it's the same game, doing the same things to get good. 

On 8/5/2022 at 5:58 PM, Justin11 said:

Hmm, that's way too much if you ask me. I wonder how much they're earning for them to devote such kind of time daily to train and prepare for contest? 

I was saying this in other E-Sports topics, but financial rewards for tournaments can range from anywhere to a few hundred dollars to a prize pool of $40 million dollars.

UFC fighters make alot less than people think (it's nothing like boxing); and many people don't train to be the best exclusively for the money. I have, without a doubt, been the best at some games and did not earn a single penny. Not bragging; I'm just saying that the treasure of being the best player on the planet (at a given game) is actually quite invaluable.

People that train around 8-10 hours daily (not necessarily 7 days a week) are in just about every genre. It's all very sporadic and everybody is different, kind of like weight lifting. Some people can lift real hard like 3 or 4 times a week and make gains, where others prefer 5 days a week literally every week. Alot of people prefer 6 and some prefer training every day. It also depends on if you're still trying to improve, because really great players or athletes can get to a certain threshhold where they only have to train to outrageously hard levels for a certain time, then just keep their skills or body in a maintenance phase where they can slow things back down or speed things back up, if they are (for example) preparing for a tournament in e-sports, or preparing for a World Title shot in the UFC against a very skilled opponent.

12 hours ago, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

I was saying this in other E-Sports topics, but financial rewards for tournaments can range from anywhere to a few hundred dollars to a prize pool of $40 million dollars.

UFC fighters make alot less than people think (it's nothing like boxing); and many people don't train to be the best exclusively for the money. I have, without a doubt, been the best at some games and did not earn a single penny. Not bragging; I'm just saying that the treasure of being the best player on the planet (at a given game) is actually quite invaluable.

People that train around 8-10 hours daily (not necessarily 7 days a week) are in just about every genre. It's all very sporadic and everybody is different, kind of like weight lifting. Some people can lift real hard like 3 or 4 times a week and make gains, where others prefer 5 days a week literally every week. Alot of people prefer 6 and some prefer training every day. It also depends on if you're still trying to improve, because really great players or athletes can get to a certain threshhold where they only have to train to outrageously hard levels for a certain time, then just keep their skills or body in a maintenance phase where they can slow things back down or speed things back up, if they are (for example) preparing for a tournament in e-sports, or preparing for a World Title shot in the UFC against a very skilled opponent.

You gave a well explained information. What I actually want to is about the $40 million prize pool for a single tournament. Does it mean if any esports team that wins the tournament takes home that prize money all alone? 

17 hours ago, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

Yeah I can see the prize pools differing everywhere. 

And in regards to UFC fighters, yeah I noticed they don't get paid that good until they're star attractions. It's funny too, because there are other MMA leagues that seem to pay the smaller guys more fairly. I think Bellator is one that pays all of their fighters good. But I could be wrong. 

Essentially, the better you are, the more cash you're going to get. Simple as that. With esports, the best teams and leagues are where the money is, but for smaller teams and less popular teams, they have smaller leagues they can take advantage of. But, that also means less money. But, growing in these leagues, means you will eventually get better pay as you advance. 

On 8/9/2022 at 8:32 AM, Justin11 said:

You gave a well explained information. What I actually want to is about the $40 million prize pool for a single tournament. Does it mean if any esports team that wins the tournament takes home that prize money all alone? 

I have never played in a tournament where a prize pool is $40 million dollars, so I don't have personal experience with that issue, but I BELIEVE that the $40 million dollars is the pool of prizes that can be won based on who places in what particular position at the end of the tournament; meaning first place could take home X amount of dollars, second place would take home X amount of dollars, and that would all be coming from the same prize pool -- meaning the first place winner would not win a total of $40 million dollars... But so far as I understand: The team who places first in a tournament of something like $40 million dollars is going to win a whopping amount of money (multi-million dollar jackpot) for placing first. I think a team won $18 million at one point.

But actually, $40 million dollars was the largest prize pool in e-sports history last year. The largest prize pool ever has updated this year, which is for the game Dota 2, with a prize pool of $47.73 million dollars. Based on some of my descriptions in other threads involving possible organized crime and fraud in e-sports, as well as simply incompetent team mates, I don't think I would have a personal interest in engaging in tournaments of that caliber.

I've pointed out in other threads that the FBI investigated Counter Strike for match fixing in the North American league and it was PROVEN that there was match fixing, with some of the players on a team agreeing in written format to throw matches. Think about playing in a prize pool of $47 million dollars and you have a shot at even taking third in the tournament, but your team mates have been paid off by some crime syndicate (in theory) to throw the match without your knowledge -- making you miss out on something like a personal $8 million dollars.

On 8/9/2022 at 2:24 PM, Kane99 said:

Yeah I can see the prize pools differing everywhere. 

And in regards to UFC fighters, yeah I noticed they don't get paid that good until they're star attractions. It's funny too, because there are other MMA leagues that seem to pay the smaller guys more fairly. I think Bellator is one that pays all of their fighters good. But I could be wrong. 

Essentially, the better you are, the more cash you're going to get. Simple as that. With esports, the best teams and leagues are where the money is, but for smaller teams and less popular teams, they have smaller leagues they can take advantage of. But, that also means less money. But, growing in these leagues, means you will eventually get better pay as you advance. 

There's alot that goes on in the whole thing. But I will say that the better you are does not indicate that you will earn more. One of the toughest competitive fields out there is fighting games -- but also speed running.

Speed runners often develop some of the best skills in gaming and don't earn a single penny; they just do it for fun. There's tournaments and/or "demonstrations" (the latter word of which is more accurate) for speed running and I'm pretty sure money involved in that goes to charity.

8 hours ago, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

I have never played in a tournament where a prize pool is $40 million dollars, so I don't have personal experience with that issue, but I BELIEVE that the $40 million dollars is the pool of prizes that can be won based on who places in what particular position at the end of the tournament; meaning first place could take home X amount of dollars, second place would take home X amount of dollars, and that would all be coming from the same prize pool -- meaning the first place winner would not win a total of $40 million dollars... But so far as I understand: The team who places first in a tournament of something like $40 million dollars is going to win a whopping amount of money (multi-million dollar jackpot) for placing first. I think a team won $18 million at one point.

But actually, $40 million dollars was the largest prize pool in e-sports history last year. The largest prize pool ever has updated this year, which is for the game Dota 2, with a prize pool of $47.73 million dollars. Based on some of my descriptions in other threads involving possible organized crime and fraud in e-sports, as well as simply incompetent team mates, I don't think I would have a personal interest in engaging in tournaments of that caliber.

I've pointed out in other threads that the FBI investigated Counter Strike for match fixing in the North American league and it was PROVEN that there was match fixing, with some of the players on a team agreeing in written format to throw matches. Think about playing in a prize pool of $47 million dollars and you have a shot at even taking third in the tournament, but your team mates have been paid off by some crime syndicate (in theory) to throw the match without your knowledge -- making you miss out on something like a personal $8 million dollars.

Your last sentence is emotional indeed.  Such kind if scenario can make me quit esports career when my teammates decides to sell their position off or making me to lose that third spot in the tournament tree. Match fixing is something that isn't good, it ruins the reputation of such organization of event. That's something FBI and it's organizers should look into and remedy such kind of bizarre situation before it gets out of hand. 

19 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Your last sentence is emotional indeed.  Such kind if scenario can make me quit esports career when my teammates decides to sell their position off or making me to lose that third spot in the tournament tree. Match fixing is something that isn't good, it ruins the reputation of such organization of event. That's something FBI and it's organizers should look into and remedy such kind of bizarre situation before it gets out of hand. 

Emotional in the sense that it could make alot of dudes completely flip their lid; and my example was just with a third place slot. A thrown match for a first place slot worth $20 million dollars would obviously be far more outrageous and rage inducing.

On 8/13/2022 at 1:14 AM, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

I really haven't Paid attention to EA sports tournament but with a price tag like this a lot of professional gamers could go through some mental stress trying to be at their best to be able to win that particular tournament.

It's crazy but atleast the price is encouraging and would compensate for whatever stress they might have been through, losing the competition might be depressing for some as well.

14 hours ago, Clasher said:

I really haven't Paid attention to EA sports tournament but with a price tag like this a lot of professional gamers could go through some mental stress trying to be at their best to be able to win that particular tournament.

It's crazy but atleast the price is encouraging and would compensate for whatever stress they might have been through, losing the competition might be depressing for some as well.

Oh, I was specifically referring, not necessarily to a legitimate "loss" in a competition -- but a pre-determined outcome in a tournament via match fixing where one (or more) member(s) of your team agree to throw the match at the recommendation of organized crime or an outside betting syndicate.

The stress of pure competition, I think, can be healthy.

12 hours ago, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

Oh, I was specifically referring, not necessarily to a legitimate "loss" in a competition -- but a pre-determined outcome in a tournament via match fixing where one (or more) member(s) of your team agree to throw the match at the recommendation of organized crime or an outside betting syndicate.

The stress of pure competition, I think, can be healthy.

Okay, if that is done then the whole purpose of the competition isn't achieved.

Is there nothing that could be done to regulate e-sports competition so that this kind of scenarios won't occur?

14 hours ago, Clasher said:

Okay, if that is done then the whole purpose of the competition isn't achieved.

Is there nothing that could be done to regulate e-sports competition so that this kind of scenarios won't occur?

I study law, and the answer to your question is that there is an immeasurable amount of things that can be done. With our society in general, there are areas of which applicable laws (already on the books) can be applied, the legislative branch could get involved to create NEW laws, or other remedies that can happen as well. That's with everywhere in society, but with e-sports the situation is identical.

There's RICO Act laws on the books (Organized Crime) in the United States that could potentially, and very likely, applicable to rigging tournaments that have a financial or seriously beneficial prize to the winner regardless of whether the prize money may be considered low by comparison to something like an $18 million dollar jackpot for first place. There's also conspiracy statutes, wire fraud, pre-meditated wire fraud, the FBI has an "illegal sports betting and gambling" division (not a task force) -- believe it or not that was not dissolved but EXPANDED from its original mission statements -- and the list goes on indefinitely because e-sports are in alot of countries potentially creating even stiffer penalties in other areas. On that same token, however, there could be no penalties AT ALL in certain countries, as they could be some of the most significant influencers in regards to an organized crime footprint in e-sports. With other countries not acting, then you have the US and Western countries that could create laws, or simply enforce laws already on the books.

For the record, an FBI "task force" is temporary, but the expanded version of the "illegal sports betting and gambling" division is allegedly permanent. The people in the organization according to news reports had limited knowledge of what was happening and were (paraphrasing here): 'attending international and/or interpol conferences with experts to educate themselves with more information on the matter'. 

One thing that a person could probably do in this scenario outside of the above criminal stuff is just sue the team mates, possibly the coaches or the venue itself -- but that could get into contract law; however contract law can be trumped in alot of circumstances. Meaning you could have technically waived your rights to sue the venue, team management, coaches or team members in a situation where matches were determined to have been rigged. That would be a contract, but in many cases you can still sue as many scenarios would supersede the alleged "contract" -- which nobody ever reads anyway. If you can't sue, a victim could potentially look into whistleblower laws in the United States, or get a literary agent and/or book contract to expose the scam in a book with heavy promotions pushing the situation into the court of public opinion, which is basically where it already is but, unfortunately, with limited viewers.

On 8/12/2022 at 8:17 PM, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

There's alot that goes on in the whole thing. But I will say that the better you are does not indicate that you will earn more. One of the toughest competitive fields out there is fighting games -- but also speed running.

Speed runners often develop some of the best skills in gaming and don't earn a single penny; they just do it for fun. There's tournaments and/or "demonstrations" (the latter word of which is more accurate) for speed running and I'm pretty sure money involved in that goes to charity.

Yeah I'm aware of the fighting game scene. I've watched some videos of people trash talking each other and throwing abuse to one another. It wouldn't be able to do it myself. I'd quit way too fast. 

I don't know how speedrunners would work out in esports. I don't recall people making any money for speedrunning a game, and I don't quite know how it would work out in an esports setting either.