Register Now
Kane99

How much training do esports players do?

9 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah I'm aware of the fighting game scene. I've watched some videos of people trash talking each other and throwing abuse to one another. It wouldn't be able to do it myself. I'd quit way too fast. 

I don't know how speedrunners would work out in esports. I don't recall people making any money for speedrunning a game, and I don't quite know how it would work out in an esports setting either. 

Speedrunning is people basically racing a clock to break world records, so e-sports speed running would just be 2 or more people racing. They already do it; I'm just not aware of major paid tournaments.

As far as trash talking goes; it exists in just about every form of competitive gaming, as well as most forms of physical sports. The people on the field in pro-football talk trash to each other under their breath all the time (it just isn't caught on mics), and look at hockey: they trash talk and fist fight the whole game. It's really the nature of competition to have tempers flying like that sometimes UNFORTUNATELY. Best bet is to just mute people online, and at tournaments you really can't go to the level of trash talking people do online (if any).

19 hours ago, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

One thing that a person could probably do in this scenario outside of the above criminal stuff is just sue the team mates, possibly the coaches or the venue itself -- but that could get into contract law; however contract law can be trumped in alot of circumstances. Meaning you could have technically waived your rights to sue the venue, team management, coaches or team members in a situation where matches were determined to have been rigged. That would be a contract, but in many cases you can still sue as many scenarios would supersede the alleged "contract" -- which nobody ever reads anyway. If you can't sue, a victim could potentially look into whistleblower laws in the United States, or get a literary agent and/or book contract to expose the scam in a book with heavy promotions pushing the situation into the court of public opinion, which is basically where it already is but, unfortunately, with limited viewers.

From what I picked from you well written opinion it seems the case is only effective in court if it garners a lot of viewers or people who are actually interested in seeing that justice is served.

With this I don't think in many parts of the world there are people who are genuinely interested in e-sports activities that could be different for other regions though, so it is unlikely that the activities of "riggers" in e-sports competition would be curtailed Anytime soon since it is not  really a problem to any big executive or legislative arm of government what is happening in those e-sports competition.

On 8/16/2022 at 7:16 AM, Clasher said:

From what I picked from you well written opinion it seems the case is only effective in court if it garners a lot of viewers or people who are actually interested in seeing that justice is served.

With this I don't think in many parts of the world there are people who are genuinely interested in e-sports activities that could be different for other regions though, so it is unlikely that the activities of "riggers" in e-sports competition would be curtailed Anytime soon since it is not  really a problem to any big executive or legislative arm of government what is happening in those e-sports competition.

All due respect; that is not true. I study law, and the context in which you could sue someone (in relationship to the above scenario where your team mates rigged a tournament), it has nothing to do with whether or not there is a large public interest in any particular event. People sue others in small claims court when the public doesn't know about it all the time, so one of the players that was potentially victimized in a rigged tournament could relentlessly sue others -- especially in a situation where the tournament jackpot (not just the "prize pool") involved him or her possibly winning something like $18 million dollars in a perfectly legal and legitimate way by victory in tournament. There also happens to be a massive interest in tournaments these days, but that really wouldn't be a factor at all in terms of lawsuits, unless it involved stuff like character defamation, libel, slander, etcetera, I guess. Perhaps that's what information you looked up, was information on character defamation laws? That would be correct if that's what you looked up.

Like if one of your e-sports team mates was going around (in a theoretical situation, I am intending to stay on topic) and saying that the other team mate is doing something very terrible on a regular basis, or that they have done something very terrible or whatever (pick a number out of a hat). If the first person starts saying stuff to like 1 single person about e-sports person 2, then the "damages" of the case would be minimal and potentially dismissed from a court of law because there was not enough public view of the false information that was spread. Basically the Judge or Jury would look at the case as whether or not the persons reputation was even affected by the spread of false information (slander/liber/whatever), and people that are youtubers/twitch streamers, etcetera are pretty easy to snag on stuff like this if they go on terrible rants regarding other people. Most streamers are actually pretty solid with this type of thing and they just do their thing and jump off. Talking trash about someone they're playing online is not slander, as that is 1st Amendment/opinion/Freedom of Speech (at least in America), and I don't think I've ever seen a streamer (outside of 1 or 2 instances) where they were going on a significant rant about literally anyone else.

So a civil suit would apply in the "rigged tournament" scenario mentioned above provided the two people were in the United States (I haven't gotten to foreign law/international court study yet), but criminal charges are all over the place in this stuff involving e-sports fraud. Other countries have literally arrested and charged cheat makers in some cases and there was a really big name (that I personally didn't follow because he was one of those "LEAKERS") that got identified past his pseudonym and pursued legally by Nintendo. I say good for Nintendo and they should keep it up. What crimes are involved in the rigging of tournaments, however, is stuff that could involve a wide plethora of crimes.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:42 PM, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

Speedrunning is people basically racing a clock to break world records, so e-sports speed running would just be 2 or more people racing. They already do it; I'm just not aware of major paid tournaments.

As far as trash talking goes; it exists in just about every form of competitive gaming, as well as most forms of physical sports. The people on the field in pro-football talk trash to each other under their breath all the time (it just isn't caught on mics), and look at hockey: they trash talk and fist fight the whole game. It's really the nature of competition to have tempers flying like that sometimes UNFORTUNATELY. Best bet is to just mute people online, and at tournaments you really can't go to the level of trash talking people do online (if any).

Ah ok, I know what speedrunning is, just didn't expect there to be tournaments or competitive events for it. But I guess it makes sense considering they do try to break records. 

And yeah, trash talking won't ever stop, but with most new games it seems to have slowed down a bit. Probably due to people sticking to their own private lobbies, or some games just turning that feature off. 

On 8/17/2022 at 7:10 PM, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

All due respect; that is not true. I study law, and the context in which you could sue someone (in relationship to the above scenario where your team mates rigged a tournament), it has nothing to do with whether or not there is a large public interest in any particular event. People sue others in small claims court when the public doesn't know about it all the time, so one of the players that was potentially victimized in a rigged tournament could relentlessly sue others -- especially in a situation where the tournament jackpot (not just the "prize pool") involved him or her possibly winning something like $18 million dollars in a perfectly legal and legitimate way by victory in tournament. There also happens to be a massive interest in tournaments these days, but that really wouldn't be a factor at all in terms of lawsuits, unless it involved stuff like character defamation, libel, slander, etcetera, I guess. Perhaps that's what information you looked up, was information on character defamation laws? That would be correct if that's what you looked up.

Like if one of your e-sports team mates was going around (in a theoretical situation, I am intending to stay on topic) and saying that the other team mate is doing something very terrible on a regular basis, or that they have done something very terrible or whatever (pick a number out of a hat). If the first person starts saying stuff to like 1 single person about e-sports person 2, then the "damages" of the case would be minimal and potentially dismissed from a court of law because there was not enough public view of the false information that was spread. Basically the Judge or Jury would look at the case as whether or not the persons reputation was even affected by the spread of false information (slander/liber/whatever), and people that are youtubers/twitch streamers, etcetera are pretty easy to snag on stuff like this if they go on terrible rants regarding other people. Most streamers are actually pretty solid with this type of thing and they just do their thing and jump off. Talking trash about someone they're playing online is not slander, as that is 1st Amendment/opinion/Freedom of Speech (at least in America), and I don't think I've ever seen a streamer (outside of 1 or 2 instances) where they were going on a significant rant about literally anyone else.

So a civil suit would apply in the "rigged tournament" scenario mentioned above provided the two people were in the United States (I haven't gotten to foreign law/international court study yet), but criminal charges are all over the place in this stuff involving e-sports fraud. Other countries have literally arrested and charged cheat makers in some cases and there was a really big name (that I personally didn't follow because he was one of those "LEAKERS") that got identified past his pseudonym and pursued legally by Nintendo. I say good for Nintendo and they should keep it up. What crimes are involved in the rigging of tournaments, however, is stuff that could involve a wide plethora of crimes.

Sorry about my earlier input but I was only commenting based on my misinterpretation of what you intially commented about the issue.

I am not well attuned with legal matters and thankful to be able to learn a thing or two from what you've said.

Attracting large public Interests doesn't really count and a case in court could go in favor or against you with or without them.

4 hours ago, Clasher said:

Sorry about my earlier input but I was only commenting based on my misinterpretation of what you intially commented about the issue.

I am not well attuned with legal matters and thankful to be able to learn a thing or two from what you've said.

Attracting large public Interests doesn't really count and a case in court could go in favor or against you with or without them.

It's all good, bro; I'm not entirely attuned with legal matters either (which is why I'm trying to study them). But once again, what you were referencing earlier was more like a character defamation case, and how much "public view" something had is undeniably factored into a lawsuit in that regard.

1 hour ago, ForwardSlashDownPoke said:

It's all good, bro; I'm not entirely attuned with legal matters either (which is why I'm trying to study them). But once again, what you were referencing earlier was more like a character defamation case, and how much "public view" something had is undeniably factored into a lawsuit in that regard.

How can you know this much and still say you ain't well attuned with legal matters. 😅🥴

Well, I got enough point to be able to argue extensively with a friend mine who is a practicing lawyer and we've had a similar discussion in the past, though I wouldnt be able to quote the constitution  accurately but I would quote you instead. Lol