Register Now
Kane99

Are devs getting too lazy with remasters?

The recent GTA Trilogy remastered set was a mess at release, and it's still somewhat broken after the recent fixes it got. It's clear the team behind the remaster, didn't have enough time to make the best remaster they could. Rockstar needs to let their side studios work for as long as needed, because when a game gets released in this state, it looks even worse on Rockstar, who prides themselves on making quality. 

Anyway, it's not just that. Remember the first attempt Activision made remastering Tony Hawk's Pro Skater? Yeah, it was so bad that they eventually tried it again with the recent THPS1+2 Remastered, which was leaps above the first remaster they did. 

I think the problem lies with the big studios dropping these remasters in the laps of unknown devs, or studios that have limited work. I believe the people behind the trilogy set for GTA were also responsible for the mobile remasters, which is why I think they just remastered the mobile games and made fixes here and there. 

I think we need to afford developers the time needed to make these remasters as best they can. They will likely be doing GTA IV remastered next, and they need to make sure that one goes well. 

I think it’s crazy with the GTA remaster is that they have already done a remaster before, and sold it on last generation consoles - yet here we are with another remaster that they couldn’t nail at all. On top of that, the mods that fixed the graphics were way better than what rockstar’s team has put out as well. 

32 minutes ago, Syntax said:

I think it’s crazy with the GTA remaster is that they have already done a remaster before, and sold it on last generation consoles - yet here we are with another remaster that they couldn’t nail at all. On top of that, the mods that fixed the graphics were way better than what rockstar’s team has put out as well. 

With the San Andreas remasters on the 360, (not sure if it released for the PS3) was actually the mobile version of the game, just modified to work on the newer consoles at the time. The newer trilogy is still the mobile versions, with updated stuff. They even had the mobile game controls still in the code for San Andreas and I guess you could even select them through settings.  

You can read about that here - https://exputer.com/news/playstation/rockstar-games-mobile-gta-trilogy/

14 hours ago, Heatman said:

This is actually why I really appreciate the makers of Final Fantasy games Square Enix for their good works with their remakes of the game. 

The few Square Enix games I've played, including remastered versions are simply superb. They aren't tired making inspiring video games and not buggy games. 

18 hours ago, Boblee said:

Welcome to what Capcom have been doing with the Resident Evil Remakes. They have most certainly run out of ideas on what to do. 

I agree that they've kinda run out of ideas at this point. But, I disagree that they fit into the subject of this topic. They made remakes, and from what I saw & heard, they worked and played quite well. Honestly I'd say the RE remakes are some of the best remakes we've received so far. Fans seemed very happy with them so far. 

And let's face it, a new audience isn't going to take a chance on the older RE games, so the remakes were another way to tell these stories to a new generation of people. With a remaster, all that does is put a new coat of paint on it with some changes. I think they made the right choice in remaking the games instead to be more accessible to a larger audience. 

Edited by Kane99

6 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I agree that they've kinda run out of ideas at this point. But, I disagree that they fit into the subject of this topic. They made remakes, and from what I saw & heard, they worked and played quite well. Honestly I'd say the RE remakes are some of the best remakes we've received so far. Fans seemed very happy with them so far. 

And let's face it, a new audience isn't going to take a chance on the older RE games, so the remakes were another way to tell these stories to a new generation of people. With a remaster, all that does is put a new coat of paint on it with some changes. I think they made the right choice in remaking the games instead to be more accessible to a larger audience. 

Definitely, new gamers to the franchise would always be in preference of the new remakes than the older ones but for the old gamers like us that's come a long way following the game wouldn't feel same. 

14 hours ago, Justin11 said:

The few Square Enix games I've played, including remastered versions are simply superb. They aren't tired making inspiring video games and not buggy games. 

They are the makers of Avengers and Outriders as well as Guardian of Galaxy. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

They are the makers of Avengers and Outriders as well as Guardian of Galaxy. 

What's your take on the Avengers game published by Square Enix? I feel like it's got a lot of technical issues and lack of content that put it below standard for me. 

21 hours ago, Boblee said:

What's your take on the Avengers game published by Square Enix? I feel like it's got a lot of technical issues and lack of content that put it below standard for me. 

As a result of the lack of content in the game, made it to have so many repetitive tasks that made it boring to some extent. 

5 hours ago, Heatman said:

As a result of the lack of content in the game, made it to have so many repetitive tasks that made it boring to some extent. 

That's not surprising to have happened because once a game lacks content, the only option left would be to keep repeating the same thing in it. 

16 hours ago, Boblee said:

That's not surprising to have happened because once a game lacks content, the only option left would be to keep repeating the same thing in it. 

Yeah, it's only the repetitive tendencies in the game that I never really liked that much. Forget the technical issues, all games comes with it. 

16 hours ago, Justin11 said:

And that's what this video game companies are doing at the moment, repeating the same games from the previous edition, and adding some few features to make it look brand new, but it's never different from the old one. 

Seriously, that shows how most of these video games company have been very lazy in doing their job because they feel that the gamers do not really have a choice but to play anything that they give to them.