Register Now
Kane99

Museum studies alumna discovers rare ‘Super Mario Bros. 3’ video game demo

Mario_ASW0745a.jpg

This is pretty cool. More gaming history is constantly being discovered these days. And according to an article from Rochester Institute of Technology, alumna Kirsten Feigel found a demo of Super Mario Bros. 3 on a floppy disk while going through a box of donations. 

What's even cooler, is that id Software was possibly involved in this demo. As they had made demos in the past to help bring Nintendo games to PC. But of course, Nintendo wasn't into that and rejected the idea of porting their games to PC. 

But, this is a fun find for sure. You can read more on this find at the link below. I wonder if they put this up for charity, how much you think they'd get? I wonder if the files still work. 

https://www.rit.edu/news/museum-studies-alumna-discovers-rare-super-mario-bros-3-video-game-demo

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I wonder how much it's worth right now - that must be worthy thousands of dollars at least. I'd prefer if they stored it in some kind of museum.

I don't even know if it's something you could sell legally. Considering it's probably Nintendo's property. Id software wanted to bring NES games to PC, so they tried to port the game themselves and tried to get nintendo on board. It'll probably be put in a museum or donated to one. I don't even know if you can put a price on this. Makes me wonder what else was in the donation box this was found in. Maybe there are more floppy disks with classic NES games. 

On 12/2/2021 at 8:12 PM, Kane99 said:

I don't even know if it's something you could sell legally. Considering it's probably Nintendo's property. Id software wanted to bring NES games to PC, so they tried to port the game themselves and tried to get nintendo on board. It'll probably be put in a museum or donated to one. I don't even know if you can put a price on this. Makes me wonder what else was in the donation box this was found in. Maybe there are more floppy disks with classic NES games. 

You're right, I just remembered how Nintendo handles people selling their property so it'll probably be best to put it in a museum.