Register Now
Kane99

Do you agree with Steams ban on NFT based games?

Honestly NFTs are still very confusing to me, but it seems they are becoming a big part of the gaming world. Steam isn't going to let NFTs on their platform though, as any games with NFTs or with NFT options will be removed from the marketplace. You can read more about this below:

https://www.winston.com/en/the-playbook/steam-bans-nft-and-cryptocurrency-games-implications-and-ramifications-for-the-videogame-industry.html

Essentially it's for our protection, as there are scams out there with NFTs, and I think Steam just doesn't want to deal with it. 

Age of Rust is a game that was removed from Steam due to having NFT options. They tried to speak with Steam about it, but it was a no go and their game was removed. This means that even good games with NFT options, won't be allowed on Steam. 

This article talks why this ban is problematic: https://www.techinasia.com/steam-ban-nft-games

In my opinion, I agree with Steams choice. I know there are safe ways to deal with NFTs, as people are doing it, but I think Steam just wants to play it safe here and make sure no one is at risk. 

What do you think though? Do you think these games with NFT options will release on other marketplaces? Or maybe on their own? Would you use these NFT options? 

Well NFT games go through a lot of legal hopps and there is a chance of scams, rug pulls and also hacks. I am sure nobody in the right head wants to deal with that. Steam is reasonable about it in their own ways. unless you have infrastructure to deal with crypto, better not jump into it. 

It seems pretty simple to me.  If Stream can't make money of it, then why should they (in all honesty, they shouldn't) give a shit about it.

It's all a false market anyway.  The "value" of an NFT can change at any moment.  The only way to make a profit is blind luck.

30 minutes ago, skyfire said:

Well NFT games go through a lot of legal hopps and there is a chance of scams, rug pulls and also hacks. I am sure nobody in the right head wants to deal with that. Steam is reasonable about it in their own ways. unless you have infrastructure to deal with crypto, better not jump into it. 

Oh for sure. There's just too much risk with it, and I don't think Steam is interested in keeping an eye on these types of games, considering how much could actually go wrong. I think it's smart on their part, because they probably don't have anything to keep track of that anyway. So maybe down the road once they have rules set in place, but right now NFTs are so new, that there's still a lot that needs work on I think. 

25 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

It seems pretty simple to me.  If Stream can't make money of it, then why should they (in all honesty, they shouldn't) give a shit about it.

It's all a false market anyway.  The "value" of an NFT can change at any moment.  The only way to make a profit is blind luck.

Yeah true, if they aren't making money from it, they shouldn't allow it. Especially if the game makes a lot of money through NFT. Maybe Steam will release their own NFT marketplace or something. You never know with how the digital world is these days. 

Yes the risk with NFT is so high that many game studios don't even mention their real names. not just that even artists don't come out openly from some countries to show the face behind NFT art. Yeah in near future there will be legal component to it but till then it's not worth it. 

And this is why steam reviews are pointless. Minority opinions form little coalitions and bomb these pages. It happened to doom eternal so they took anti cheat out and gave up on developing any multiplayer modes outside of 2v1

Developers make shitty anti-consumer decisions and expect there to be no reprecussions? It doesn't work that way, you need to have respect for your customers.

On 11/29/2021 at 11:59 PM, Crazycrab said:

Actually, I think this had to do with the fact that Steam had been sued some years back for some pay-to-win game with it's own in-game currency that could be converted to real cash so I can kind of understand their stance on this.

I honestly dont think it's false market either. I know many artists who managed to quit their job. Earning good money from ETH based NFTs and also many of them have managed to fund their retirement out of these NFT. All you need is a buyer and especially with game based NFTs there are plenty of dumb people who buy skins, in item purchase. Rich people have IQ of peanut to buy anything inside the game at high price any way.