Register Now
StaceyPowers

If you’ve worked in gaming, did your job change how you approached playing?

17 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I was just a thinker. I come up with ideas due to my supposed "creativity" and pass them on to the guys that know how to write the software for a game. That's the extent of my involvement.

It's the game testers that would actually get influenced especially by playing out so many games as their job entails, it may screw their interest in some games. 

If you're a tester, or you're a streamer especially those doing streaming everyday at twitch-follows, will simply get addicted playing video games, at same time learn how to analyse majority of the video games critically and sending out recommendations. 

I wouldn't say I have worked with games, but I have worked with communities that do stuff with game developers and people from the game industry. I've helped stream, helped streamers, helped with showcasing a new game to a community I volunteer to and so on. 

I may be working more with events soon with the community I volunteer for, so I will be working close with people we have streaming for us. Other than that, that would be it for me. 

21 hours ago, Boblee said:

It's the game testers that would actually get influenced especially by playing out so many games as their job entails, it may screw their interest in some games. 

Yeah, but I was part of a crew that created games for various systems. We never really made a profit, we just did it to have something different to play. I was the one termed "thinker" because they loved the shit I was able to think up. This twisted mind in my head can come up with shit like no one else. If you think Poop Slinger is a twisted game, you haven't seen anything yet.

And YES Poop Slinger is a real game. I know it's on PS4, but I don't know if it's on any other systems.

poop.jpg

14 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Yeah, but I was part of a crew that created games for various systems. We never really made a profit, we just did it to have something different to play. I was the one termed "thinker" because they loved the shit I was able to think up. This twisted mind in my head can come up with shit like no one else. If you think Poop Slinger is a twisted game, you haven't seen anything yet.

And YES Poop Slinger is a real game. I know it's on PS4, but I don't know if it's on any other systems.

poop.jpg

I actually had to go and check out the video game trailer of poop slinger and it was actually one funny video game because I can imagine how the poop is going to be smelling when you have it splashed on people.

On 12/2/2021 at 11:52 PM, Head_Hunter said:

This game you posted resembles those old arcade games, it's simply looking like a lower version console is used to play the game because the image quality is poor. 

Yeah, the characters are a bit odd and too well designed. I believe it's simply something to do with the software used in making the game. A remake can actually make it more intriguing. 

I think if anything understanding the internal workings of games gives me a greater appreciation for games that do things well.

And make me more harsh on games that use obvious shortcuts to implement something.

On 12/4/2021 at 10:13 AM, Boblee said:

Yeah, the characters are a bit odd and too well designed. I believe it's simply something to do with the software used in making the game. A remake can actually make it more intriguing. 

Yeah, a remake can simply make it look intriguing than as it is at the moment via the trailer you shared. 

There's been ups and downs to how reviewing has affected my ability to play games. It used to be that even if I wasn't interested, or even vehemently against reviewing a game I would find it impossible to break out of my mindset. Instead of looking at a game as something to simply enjoy, I'd analyse it, think up quips for a script, and eventually enjoy the game less because it has something that I as a player can forgive, but not as a reviewer.

One such experience, which I wouldn't have done had I not been covering it for a magazine, was when my partner and I went to York to see the Van Gogh Immersive Experience. It's an astonishing thing, and the VR lent to it... but I was using the headset not to experience Gogh's magnificent works, but to test out the hardware and how it affected my partner and I. Needless to say, I was grateful to have experienced it but would prefer if I was doing it for the sake of leisure more than an article.

I'm long out of the reviewing mindset, I'm now mostly doing opinion editorials (op-eds), but I've taken away a lot of lessons in my time as a reviewer and wouldn't trade any of my old negative habits for the knowledge I've gained of the industry.

I've tried video game review online before, but it wasn't around console games rather via mobile smart phones. I earned some amount of money reviewing games and given out honest reviews about what I found. It exposed me vividly around video games more, because I got to know more of the mobile video games as a reviewer back then.