Register Now
Shagger

The version of Godfall that's coming to PS+ and Free Games with Epic is BULLSHIT!

267323158_Godfallnostory.thumb.jpg.0c19fda4e54bbbbc8d9ce40421d46430.jpg

Imagine playing a Final Fantasy game where you didn't play the story at all and were thrown straight into the endgame content? That would be ridiculous, right?

Well, that's exactly what PS+ subscribers and Epic Games users can expect when they are offered Godfall this December. A version of an action RPG with the story missions completely removed in what is called "The Challenge Edition" with only the optional endgame content left behind. More details from PushSquare.

I was looking forward to playing this, and I'm very disappointed, but more importantly very concerned about this. A lot of games have thier DLC expansions and deluxe editions and so on that offer more content than the base game. That means that game companies can still earn some revenue from the games offered by these subscriptions, and I don't grudge that. Whether you agree with that or not, the fact is they are what they are. It's fair enough I feel that services like PS+ only ever offer the base game, but creating a version with a very deceptive title that's only a portion of the base game for PS+ users set's a bad precedent. Is what we are supposed expect from PS+ and other similar services from now on? Paying to play partial games, because you DO pay for PS+ titles, don't be deluded. So it's obvious what Gearbox are doing, they're offering people a taste in the hope people will then purchase the full game. Well, that isn't a new thing, once upon a time they were called DEMO'S! And they were free! 

This is not what services like PS+ were supposed to offer and I sadly feel this is the start of a detrimental change to these services. What do you guys think about this?

Edited by Shagger

*Clap, Clap Clap*

This is how Sony fights against Xbox? Xbox has been giving away games for $10 basically. Xbox is winning when it comes to subscription services. They might not have that many exclusives right now, but when they put over twenty games in a single month it really makes the service look worthwhile.

I don't want Sony to get behind, I want Sony to succeeded, cause then I can get more games.

I've sitting here for five months on Game Pass, and already have played more AAA games this year then I have with PlayStation. Do you know what it is like to watch a console company you grew up with become less valuable than the competitor. I grew up with PS4, not with Xbox. But Xbox has been giving me bangs for my buck, Sony may have exclusives, but why should spend $70 for a game, when I can get 300+ for $10 a month? I would gladly buy a PS5, problem is, I am going to have to wait a couple of years for prices to go down. I can get a Series S for $300 bucks, get Game Pass and get over a hundred games a year. This is why I'm at the Xbox ecosystem, PlayStation is too pricy for me.

The fact that PS+ can't even provide a full next-gen exclusive game shows the problem with it. It's only last-gen, I've already played last gen, they're great games, but I have them on discs. The times are changing, Xbox is fighting not with exclusives, but with Game Pass.

Sorry for the long rant, I just have a lot to say about this current generation.

On 12/3/2021 at 5:54 PM, DylanC said:

Yeah, it’s a slippery slope. Not cool having a borked/abridged version of the game on PS Plus. Seems a bit cheeky.

Then the game devs should simply look into it, and make corrections before releasing it, since it's simply what's going around the gaming industry. 

I've never played Godfall, but they literally took out the base game and just left in the last portion/dlc? That's makes absolutely no sense. My guess, is that they may continue to update the game with new content. But even so, I think I'd prefer the full package rather than a portion near the end. 

It's like game studios and publishers don't have common sense about the choices they make with their game. It's as if they don't realize that there are tons of gamers at the ready to call them out for doing dumb things like this. 

What's the challenge of having the final set of missions and not most of the base game? I really hope this doesn't become a trend going forward. Where they split games up. Maybe I'd be okay with it if they offered that portion free for life, but it'd defeat the purpose of getting the game in the first place wouldn't it?