Register Now
Kane99

If you could revisit one gaming generation, what would it be and why?

If there was ever a chance to go back in time and revisit an old generation of gaming, what generation would you go back to? This is a tough one for me, because I think I'd like to go back to the generation where the NES came out. I was born in 89, but I would have loved to see how gaming took off when the NES was released. These days, the impact games have aren't as big as they used to be, at least for us who already experiences games growing up. 

But, I miss that feeling of finding something new and unique. You can't really get that these days. 

Discuss what generation you'd go back to if you could. 🙂

I am born in this 21st century, early 200s. So, I wouldn't say move over to previous generations of video games which I never played. I'll simply start with games made from 2007 down to this day. I love PES 06 -2012 and MK 1 and 2 games earlier time..

Edited by Head_Hunter

1 hour ago, Head_Hunter said:

I am born in this 21st century, early 200s. So, I wouldn't say move over to previous generations of video games which I never played. I'll simply start with games made from 2007 down to this day. I love PES 06 -2012 and MK 1 and 2 games earlier time..

No, not even to go back to see what it was like to experience gaming for the very first time? I think that'd be unique. But I get that, wanting to go back to the games that started it all for you, a nostalgia trip. I grew up in the 90s, so those games are heavy on my mind, but to go back further and experience the rise in video games, would be cool I think. 

23 hours ago, Kane99 said:

No, not even to go back to see what it was like to experience gaming for the very first time? I think that'd be unique. But I get that, wanting to go back to the games that started it all for you, a nostalgia trip. I grew up in the 90s, so those games are heavy on my mind, but to go back further and experience the rise in video games, would be cool I think. 

I got your points vividly, going retrospective at times to experience those good memories around video games which I played then and enjoyed brings wonderful feelings. You can simply go have fun playing the 90s games once more xD 😅

I would go back to 1985, when the NES hit the western market. I was born in 1982, and I remember the explosion of gaming when it landed. Everyone was buying it. It typically came with the 3 game cart that had SMB/Duck Hunt/World Class Track Meet on it. Some only had SMB/Duck Hunt but a lot had the triple. Oh my god how awesome SMB was, and how advanced those graphics were. The games that were coming out were so random and unique that you could never get bored as they were all so different. Zelda, Mario, Spy Hunter, Blaster Master. None of them had a single thing in common. Then there were games like A Boy And His Blob, Astyanax, Clash At Demonhead, Excitebike, Marble Madness, and Rygar just to name a few.

And the most explosive game of all time was SMB 3. Today we have eSports and gaming competition, but no game has ever made the impact that SMB 3 did.

9 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I would go back to 1985, when the NES hit the western market. I was born in 1982, and I remember the explosion of gaming when it landed. Everyone was buying it. It typically came with the 3 game cart that had SMB/Duck Hunt/World Class Track Meet on it. Some only had SMB/Duck Hunt but a lot had the triple. Oh my god how awesome SMB was, and how advanced those graphics were. The games that were coming out were so random and unique that you could never get bored as they were all so different. Zelda, Mario, Spy Hunter, Blaster Master. None of them had a single thing in common. Then there were games like A Boy And His Blob, Astyanax, Clash At Demonhead, Excitebike, Marble Madness, and Rygar just to name a few.

And the most explosive game of all time was SMB 3. Today we have eSports and gaming competition, but no game has ever made the impact that SMB 3 did.

That's the time I think I'd want to go to. Even though I grew up in the 90s, I still want to experience the 80s gaming scene and see how people saw gaming for the first time. When I first saw SMB3 myself, I was mesmerized. It is by far one of the best looking games on the NES hands down. It has aged like fine wine. Anyway, to see people experience those games for the first time, would be a wild thing to see I think. 

I'd go back to the launch of the N64, because what was such an amazing time for gaming.  I remember spending hours each day hacking games with the GameShark to make new codes to swap levels around, make new textures, create new moves in wrestling games, etc.  So much fun back then!  You don't really get that these days, even though games look better and load faster, the fun is somehow missing from them.

8 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

For a kid born in the 80's, going back to this time in their gaming history would really mean a whole lot. Video games then had more value and originality than what we play today. 

I would love to have been my age when the Playstation came out, knowing what I do now. I would've made a point of drifting in gaming circles, buying up whatever print media I could on how it came to be, and just indulging in all the rumours and speculations of the time. Alternatively, seeing the Nintendo versus Sega wars would've been fantastic. If it's not too greedy, seeing the comings and goings of failed systems like the Virtual Boy and Atari Jaguar would've been phenominal as well.

How appropriate you ask this in December. It's Dickensian! The Ghosts of Console Past shall visit!

Edited by Withywarlock

53 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

THANK YOU!

You're very welcome my friend. 

24 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

I would love to have been my age when the Playstation came out, knowing what I do now. I would've made a point of drifting in gaming circles, buying up whatever print media I could on how it came to be, and just indulging in all the rumours and speculations of the time. Alternatively, seeing the Nintendo versus Sega wars would've been fantastic. If it's not too greedy, seeing the comings and goings of failed systems like the Virtual Boy and Atari Jaguar would've been phenominal as well.

How appropriate you ask this in December. It's Dickensian! The Ghosts of Console Past shall visit!

In Nintendo versus Sega wars, I would definitely be siding Nintendo over Sega any day and time. 

5 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

Oh yeah, I'd grab up all of the classic gaming magazines as well. I wish I took better care of my magazines growing up, I had a decent collection. But I was the type to cut stuff out and make dumb art stuff as a kid. I'd go back and get the Electronic Gaming Monthlys, Nintendo Power and maybe that Sega magazine that came out years ago. 

Also, I think I'd be into revisiting when I got my PlayStation as a kid. Just to revisit that feeling of getting the console and all the games. Idk, I think going back even further though would give me an even bigger nostalgia trip, because I didn't grow up when the NES was in its prime, and seeing the games and console brand new in the day, would be exciting. 

23 hours ago, Family sedan said:

I would go back to '70's Atari.  Watching That '70's Show as much as I have makes me despise the modern world and want a Vista Cruiser Olds wagon and an Atari.  I'm an import fighter, so I wouldn't want Red Foreman's Corolla.

It feels good to pick up from where it ended years back via a video game. Going back to 70's Atari console games isn't a bad idea because that's what you've experienced earlier on.