Register Now
Kane99

Take-Two is suing developers of It Takes Two over name dispute

This is so utterly stupid. I get that Take-Two owns their name "Take-Two" but I don't think they own the literal phrase when being used. It Takes Two is the idea of the game. I'm pretty sure they have no case here. There are movies called "IT Takes Two". Take-Two shouldn't have any right to a name unless people are calling their business take-two. 

You can read more about this story here - https://cogconnected.com/2021/12/take-two-interactive-trademark-it-takes-two-studio/

Do you think they have a case? I sure as hell hope not, because this just sounds awfully wrong to me. 

Nobody would mistake "It Takes Two" the game with "Takes Two Interactive", especially in 2021 because "It Takes Two" is good game, something "Take Two Interactive" has forgotten how to make. This is just another petty, bully of cooperation. It's wrong and they know it.

15 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I've seen similar name of a video game to a movie, even some business enterprise bears similar name, but with some difference. I don't see why 'Take two' will be so mean on this. 

It's a clear case of name conflict. Not being mean I suppose they are just holding on that trademark name. 

11 hours ago, skyfire said:

It's a clear case of name conflict. Not being mean I suppose they are just holding on that trademark name. 

I understand that they are protecting their trademark name. But when it comes to other companies trying to copy their name and securing a domain. It wouldn't be same name with theirs, their will be a difference maker to that. 

On 12/3/2021 at 8:29 PM, killamch89 said:

Take-Two interactive are bunch of scumbags and deserve to burn. Seriously, they are one of the most corrupt, unethical, greedy developers in the gaming industry who's practices make EA look like angels.

Yup, and to think years ago I had a lot of respect for them. But they continually mess up and do dumb things, so it's becoming harder to side with them, especially when they're becoming the next EA/Activision at this point. 

On 12/5/2021 at 2:07 AM, skyfire said:

I think name conflicts may sound stupid but they do have a strong reason often.  As search engine can kill your traffic even with minor change in there. 

In this case, not so much. It reminds me of the time that React channel tried to copyright the phrase "React". But in the end they faced more backlash than anything and decided not to bother with that. I see that being much the same, as the names aren't similar enough to cause any confusion. It's just a greedy company being more greedy. 

On 12/5/2021 at 11:44 AM, Shagger said:

Nobody would mistake "It Takes Two" the game with "Takes Two Interactive", especially in 2021 because "It Takes Two" is good game, something "Take Two Interactive" has forgotten how to make. This is just another petty, bully of cooperation. It's wrong and they know it.

Exactly. I don't even get how they think they have a case here either. A name being similar isn't enough to tell someone to cease use. I'm kinda hoping EA, as much as I can't stand them, will step up and pay any court costs if it happens to come to that. It kinda reminds me when Elder Scrolls sued about a game having the name of their game being "Scrolls". 

I don't think anyone should be able to copyright a single word, especially when it's kind of a common word, or well known word. 

On 12/5/2021 at 1:14 PM, Justin11 said:

I've seen similar name of a video game to a movie, even some business enterprise bears similar name, but with some difference. I don't see why 'Take two' will be so mean on this. 

Yeah, there's a movie called It Takes Two. I'm sure there are books, and other forms of media with a similar name as well. 

12 hours ago, skyfire said:

Except the name isn't an identical match. The names are different enough that it's probably considered fair use. I don't think they have a case for this name at all. If they copyrighted "Take-Two" that's one thing, but I'm pretty sure they didn't copyright "It Takes Two" unless they just did so recently in spite of the game. 

4 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah, there's a movie called It Takes Two. I'm sure there are books, and other forms of media with a similar name as well.

I believe the game dev have seen that movie name that is similar to theirs. Why didn't they go and sue them as well for name copy?