Register Now
Kane99

PlayStation to get their own Gamepass like service

Well well well, looks like Sony is going to be making their own version of gamepass, and they're saying it could include PS1, PS2, PS3, and PSP games. The service is codenamed Spartacus, and is said to be coming for both PS4 and PS5. If this turns out to be true, that would be big for Sony. Gamepass has been huge for Xbox and if Sony can replicate that, it could mean Sony can undercut into that market. 

What do you think of this? If they can make all PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP games work on this, that would be a huge system seller right there. You can read more about this news at the link below. 

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-planning-a-game-pass-competitor-subscription-service-called-spartacus-report/1100-6498580/

2 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

To add to what I said earlier - Spartacus isn't even anything new. It's basically a merger of PS Plus and PS Now - it doesn't sound like they'll add anything new.

Pretty much, but if it does include all of Sony's first party titles at their launch dates like XBox then it will be a significant improvement over the service(s) they currently offer and a legit competitor to Game Pass.

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

As long as the service is only available on PlayStation Consoles, it will have a hard time competing with Gamepass as that also works on Windows PC's.

Agreed - I had heard that Sony was planning to port some of their first-party titles to PC but I wonder if they'll do it with Spartacus.

21 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Not really surprised - it was only a matter of time. Microsoft has been working on this a lot longer though and have had more time to market their gamepass service so Sony will really need to bring the heat to stand a chance.

Same here. It was a matter of time before they jumped into the fray. Just surprised it took them this long. 

9 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Pretty much, but if it does include all of Sony's first party titles at their launch dates like XBox then it will be a significant improvement over the service(s) they currently offer and a legit competitor to Game Pass.

We can only hope. Would be big if Sony were able to do that. 

7 hours ago, Shagger said:

As long as the service is only available on PlayStation Consoles, it will have a hard time competing with Gamepass as that also works on Windows PC's.

I'm going to assume it'll be part of PC, since they've already ported a bunch of their first party titles. Isn't Epic Games getting a few of their titles, or was it Steam? I forget. 

I'm going to guess there will be a PC counterpart, but it will only be for the games they already ported over or plan to port over. I don't think it'll be every game though. Or I hope not. 

Can't wait to get something like this. Game Pass is amazing especially since we can get first party games on the day of release. If PlayStation can bring out something like that, it would be amazing. Really hope the PS3 aspect is true as well. I really want to play GTA IV again but can't be bothered to buy it for the Series X.

13 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Sony is always revolutionizing, which is absolutely great. I believe they'll make the option of gamepass feature accessible on new gen consoles like, PS4 and 5. 

I don't think that counts for revolution, I feel that's late to the gamepass business party. 

11 hours ago, skyfire said:

I don't think that counts for revolution, I feel that's late to the gamepass business party. 

Hmm, it might be coming late for P.S serries, but it's not too late, fans of play station series can still enjoy the newly introduced feature.