Register Now
Kane99

How much longer will Xbox 360 be supported

To begin, the 360 is no longer supported in the sense that Microsoft still puts out updates. But, you can still buy games, download stuff (updates, games) and also get achievements. But how much long will we be able to do that? I assume one day that the 360 will lose online connection and we won't be able to connect to the Xbox server side. But maybe the fan base will set up servers or something when that happens. 

I think after some years Microsoft can simply disconnect Xbox 360 from it's online server, running any kind of online upgrades die to how aged it is. Since their other new gen editions of Xbox consoles, it will simply relegate Xbox 360 to world beyond. 

Microsoft keeps allowing popular games from the 360 to be played on the Xbox one. With that logic, I'd assume some game servers will still be online for a few years. Plus if Microsoft keeps making money off of 360 players buying Xbox Live Gold, they should at least support the console for a few more years.

I don't think the Xbox 360 will be supported for very long really. Now that the next generation Xbox consoles have been out a little while now I think in the next couple of years we may see them phased out.

Xbox 360 was released in 2005, that's such a long time. Personally, I feel Microsoft isn't trying to stick to old products and gaming consoles but develop new and interesting Xbox games, check out series s and you will get a glimpse of what it's means to always be ahead. Microsoft stayed relevant because they ate always about innovations and not renovation.

Just as PS3 have lost its rights due to the introduction of the new generation platforms that's same way Xbox 360 lost as well. The world of video games aren't looking up on getting the console anymore, it is very much outdated for me, the Xbox one, series S/X have replaced it.  

On 5/19/2022 at 1:50 AM, Justin11 said:

Just as PS3 have lost its rights due to the introduction of the new generation platforms that's same way Xbox 360 lost as well. The world of video games aren't looking up on getting the console anymore, it is very much outdated for me, the Xbox one, series S/X have replaced it.  

I don't even see any need why Microsoft should focus on making Xbox 360 more compatible for new generation games, when they should be focused on making the latest edition more top notch to suit the needs of latest games.

27 minutes ago, Clasher said:

I don't even see any need why Microsoft should focus on making Xbox 360 more compatible for new generation games, when they should be focused on making the latest edition more top notch to suit the needs of latest games.

XBox Live for the 360 is still connected but that's about it.  There hasn't been any content support in years.

1 hour ago, Clasher said:

I'll disagree on that, I still play my 360 and ps3 all the time and i'm not the only one who does that, so that doesen't mean microsoft or sony should dich the little support of their old consoles as there is still a community that plays these console often, the good thing is that atleast they keep up their respective stores online for now which is a good thing if only for game preservation. How many digital only titles and dlc for that matter would dissapear forever when they decide to pull the plug on both stores.

I know most of you don't care about that and just want to play the latest games and you know there is nothing wrong with that but try to see it from the other angle aswell.

On 5/19/2022 at 2:50 AM, Justin11 said:

You could pretty much say the ps4 and xbox one is also outdated because it's base models are 9 year old hardware which is in technology terms acient. 

I just got a 320gb slim ps3 and while the installation was a nightmare and toke almost 8 hours, i played quite a few hours of gran turismo 6 and you know that game looks better then a lot of ps4 games, same with forza 4 it's still the best in the series if you ask me and still looks great, if you ask me  it's still worth keeping these consoles around if you like those games.

You of all people should know because you've used a ps3 probably longer then most of us, imo there are still plenty of games to discover that are worth playing today. As for myself i missed out on a ton of ps3 exclusives that are imo still worth playing today.

Edited by Yaramaki

32 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

XBox Live for the 360 is still connected but that's about it.  There hasn't been any content support in years.

I'm curious to know if any of the older game servers are still functional like COD modern Warfare for the Xbox 360. Got called all kinds of names back then but it was fun.

I found good points with what @Yaramaki said concerning previous Sony and Microsoft consoles. We shouldn't just say, PS3 or Xbox 360 are outdated and games wouldn't be interesting around them. I can boldly agree with what 'Yaramaki said, PS3 or Xbox 360 games looks cool especially the racing games, GT, asphalt, even old motorcycle GP games. I know I haven't played PS3 games for some time now, which is over 5 years, but the last time I played this racing games on it, it was worth it. I wouldn't support the notion that, Sony or Microsoft should bury this consoles because we have ultra modern ones like, PS5, Switch, Xbox series x/s. 

Edited by Head_Hunter

On 5/31/2022 at 4:30 PM, Yaramaki said:

I'll disagree on that, I still play my 360 and ps3 all the time and i'm not the only one who does that, so that doesen't mean microsoft or sony should dich the little support of their old consoles as there is still a community that plays these console often, the good thing is that atleast they keep up their respective stores online for now which is a good thing if only for game preservation. How many digital only titles and dlc for that matter would dissapear forever when they decide to pull the plug on both stores.

I know most of you don't care about that and just want to play the latest games and you know there is nothing wrong with that but try to see it from the other angle aswell.

You could pretty much say the ps4 and xbox one is also outdated because it's base models are 9 year old hardware which is in technology terms acient. 

I just got a 320gb slim ps3 and while the installation was a nightmare and toke almost 8 hours, i played quite a few hours of gran turismo 6 and you know that game looks better then a lot of ps4 games, same with forza 4 it's still the best in the series if you ask me and still looks great, if you ask me  it's still worth keeping these consoles around if you like those games.

You of all people should know because you've used a ps3 probably longer then most of us, imo there are still plenty of games to discover that are worth playing today. As for myself i missed out on a ton of ps3 exclusives that are imo still worth playing today.

I understand everything you've said, I know I was once a PS3 user, I enjoyed most of the games there especially on racing games.  But it was frustrating thou to learn that, no video game companies were willing to make new games on PS3. The last MGP I played on PS3 was 'MGP 15. That was the last edition of the game on PS3, others moved to PS4 and higher engine consoles. That's why I said, games are drawing away from PS3 and any other older console due to the new franchise consoles or gaming device that are in circulation. 

On 5/31/2022 at 4:30 PM, Yaramaki said:

We shouldn't be selfish though and always try to make provisions for other game lovers to enjoy a game they love instead of totally abandoning it. 

From your points I have seen more reason why Microsoft should make more room for developing and upgrading the Xbox 360 so that most people who still enjoy playing on the console would still have the maximum fun they derive from it. 

On 6/6/2022 at 5:47 PM, Clasher said:

We shouldn't be selfish though and always try to make provisions for other game lovers to enjoy a game they love instead of totally abandoning it. 

From your points I have seen more reason why Microsoft should make more room for developing and upgrading the Xbox 360 so that most people who still enjoy playing on the console would still have the maximum fun they derive from it. 

I don't think Microsoft should do anything to the 360 other then what they are doing now and that is keeping the store and patches for the games online.