Register Now
DC

What would you like to see added to the forum?

4 hours ago, thesaunderschild said:

Can I have my name changed to Candy Stick? I would rather give up my current alias. Been getting pestered and would prefer to use a new nickname online. 

I'll see what I can do. 

EDIT: My tools do not allow me to do that. You will have to ask @DC

Edited by Shagger

10 hours ago, thesaunderschild said:

Can I have my name changed to Candy Stick? I would rather give up my current alias. Been getting pestered and would prefer to use a new nickname online. 

Done.

6 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Is there a way to get the main page to stop loading old articles? I've been trying to get to the bottom of the page, and all it does is bump me up so it can show articles I've either read already, or are old enough that I'm just not interested in.

What do you mean? Please elaborate.

21 hours ago, DC said:

What do you mean? Please elaborate.

When I try to scroll down to the bottom of the page, instead of letting me stay at the footer of the page, it bumps me back up to the last article that I scrolled past, and loads several more. I probably did this for a half hour before I said screw it.

On 5/1/2021 at 8:29 PM, AndreiMirfi said:

Maybe a "delete account" button.

I don't want to leave, geez! But, maybe, there are some people that just don't want to keep their accounts on this site.

I've never known of a forum that would allow account deletion. Even if an account is no longer being used, there's a number of reasons why it still has to exist.

It's not a practical thing to implement. Suspending, restricting and banning accounts is already available and deleting an account completely would delete all of that individuals posts including topics they started, so other peoples posts could be lost as well.  It can cause issues with security as it could free up previously banned e-mail addresses and posts already made from a "deleted" account would also be impossible to reference and track. Not to mention if the individual behind the account decided they wanted to come back they would have to pass the security check again and start from zero posts.

The only pieces of personal information that is stored on VGR is an e-mail address and the forum password and they are secure. That's why when bots and spammers attack the site they have to leave links for you click on because it's difficult to get what they need from the site on it's own. Still, as well as the staying safe online advice posted on VGR, here is a couple of tips to ensure that there is no risk to abandoning an account on VGR if you, or anyone, does not want to participate anymore.

1. Use a unique password for VGR. If in the unlikely event your VGR login info was stolen having a password that you only use here will keep other accounts and services you use with that e-mail safe. If you ever decide to leave VGR, change your password to something unique before leaving the site behind.
  2. If you go to a log in page for anything, not just VGR, always check the URL of the site before logging in, especially if opening the link from an email. This is good advice for everything you may do online. If something doesn't look right (odd characters, a word misspelled), do NOT log in.
  3. Delete cookies for the site from your browser. This will mean someone using the same computer would have to input the password manually to log in again.

So whilst account deletion is not something that is likely to ever be implemented here, please be assured that there is no reason to be concerned. We want our door to always remain open for people to come back and even if they don't, their contribution is still a valuable and important part of the communities' history and should be preserved.

I hope that helped you out @AndreiMirfi, but if you or anyone else has any further questions on the issue, please let either myself or @DC know and we'll do our best to help you.

Edited by Shagger

On 5/15/2021 at 11:12 AM, Patrik said:

can we have an option for a different theme ? i'm stuck on the blue one since i joined xd

If demand arises for another theme, we'll add one. But so far you're the only complaint. I think the colors are quite easy on the eyes as @The Blackangel alluded too.

Honestly, a place to put reviews without any other clutter. I would love to do some reviews on games that I have played (Halo Infinite, Metroid Dread, Forza Horizon 5) the problem is, I would get cluttered out by other things in general gaming, a subsection just for reviews would allow forum members to post their reviews on games (and maybe other media). It would benefit the forum by allowing me and other people to express their thoughts on games without trying to combat other gaming gaming topics.

2 hours ago, Techno said:

Honestly, a place to put reviews without any other clutter. I would love to do some reviews on games that I have played (Halo Infinite, Metroid Dread, Forza Horizon 5) the problem is, I would get cluttered out by other things in general gaming, a subsection just for reviews would allow forum members to post their reviews on games (and maybe other media). It would benefit the forum by allowing me and other people to express their thoughts on games without trying to combat other gaming gaming topics.

There has been talk of something similar before, I think it was in this thread here.

It sounds like a good idea, but it's how to district it from existing sub-forums that's going to more difficult. Restricting it to reviews and more in depth opinion pieces sound fair on paper, but the line needs drawn in sand carefully and clearly for such a thing to really work.

16 hours ago, Shagger said:

There has been talk of something similar before, I think it was in this thread here.

It sounds like a good idea, but it's how to district it from existing sub-forums that's going to more difficult. Restricting it to reviews and more in depth opinion pieces sound fair on paper, but the line needs drawn in sand carefully and clearly for such a thing to really work.

Yeah, I get that, it is tricky to balance things out. 

6 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Would their be any way to add your xbox live gamertag or psn network id to your account, i could swear i've seen this feature on other boards before.

You could add those thing to you profile, but I know you're about. You're about having your gamertags and such displayed below your avatar, right? I like the idea. Of course it would be 100% optional as not everyone wants to share those things, but I like the idea. What do you think @DC?