Register Now
Kane99

Ubisoft launches 'playable' NFTs in its video games

Source of story here - https://www.thestar.com.my/tech/tech-news/2021/12/08/ubisoft-launches-039playable039-nfts-in-its-video-games

NFTs are becoming more popular, so popular that they're not getting into video games. From what the article states, the NFTs will be like items you can get in game, and will have a serial number, so it's unique to you. It could be vehicles, weapons and other items depending on the game. And all of these can be sold and resold if wanted. The first game to feature these NFT options or "Digits" will be Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Breakpoint. 

Ubisoft's service will be called Ubisoft Quartz. 

What do you guys think of this? One part of me likes this idea, because it means we can sell our items if wanted, which is a nice option. But, on the other hand, this is Ubisoft and they will make a ton if this actually works as intended. It reminds me a lot of what Counter-Strike Global Offensive does with their weapons and loot box system. Because isn't it a big ecosystem of items you can buy with real money? Sounds similar to what Ubisoft is doing here. 

But yeah, it'll just be Ubisoft getting richer as usual. 

This is not a good thing for gamers at all, in my opinion. Well, for most gamers anyway. NFTS getting added to games will only result in companies focusing more on them and less on the actual game. The last thing we need is more content behind a paywall.

One thing I don't understand is, what exactly is the point of a NFT in a video game? Especially in the case of Ubisoft games which tend to die down in popularity pretty quickly (most of them anyway). Would you be able to move the game assets between different Ubisoft games so that you can show it off to other people?

How exactly would that work? You buy an NFT from Ubisoft store? Why buy it from another player if you can get it from the store? Would it be discounted? Is the player taxed for selling items? Will this turn into something where NFT's are a limited item and scalpers buy all the codes and sell it to other players? I'm lost and confused when it comes to the sense in this. 

30 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

How exactly would that work? You buy an NFT from Ubisoft store? Why buy it from another player if you can get it from the store? Would it be discounted? Is the player taxed for selling items? Will this turn into something where NFT's are a limited item and scalpers buy all the codes and sell it to other players? I'm lost and confused when it comes to the sense in this. 

I'm confused about this as well. It looks like some sort of attempt by Ubisoft to control the external market influencing their in-game economy's, but as you demonstrate it just doesn't look very well thought-out.

Edited by Shagger

1 hour ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

It seems to me that their bright idea is that players would get these cosmetic items for completing events or challenges in game. What I don't understand is why would anybody want to buy their items, just because it has an unique ID. This is like having serial numbers. Since when is having a mass manufactured item with an unique serial number considered valuable? They all have unique serial numbers!

Even if it's a limited run item, it's not the serial number that makes it valuable, it's the scarcity.

12 hours ago, skyfire said:

It was meant to happen eventually. I think good designers have their days coming up it seems. A lot of gaming companies looted them but now things would change hopefully. 

Sure, I am seeing it happening, Ubisoft are simply crafty, they've dialogue about the feature of bringing NFT to their video game, which gonna be integrated perfectly as part of their loot boxes and such will drag crypto and NFTs lovers investing in that area.