Register Now
GeppyX

Will PS5 EVER be widely available?

The question is will PS5 ever be widely available? It's a valid question. Last year the Gamestop employees said that people should just wait until about March. Well, here we are in December at the turn of the New Year. This is a joke. At this rate, we don't know if there will be PS5s available a year from now either. What's gonna change between now and then? It's not crazy to think that by the time PS5 is available, PS6 will be about ready to come out. How crazy is that? Well, it's been more than a year and I can't get a PS5 any easier than I could last year. That's never happened.

At this point, do you recommend paying the scalper price? If push comes to shove and the only people that will ever get to have a PS5 are the ones willing to pay scalpers price, then should you go for it? How is Sony gonna make money with the PS5 and the games if most people don't buy it? What's their solution? 

Sadly, the situation just is what it is for now. The demand will drop and the scalpers will either stop or sell thier stock of consoles at retail or better to get rid of them. But please, as hard as it is, do not give in and buy from a scalper. The console will only be as it's best with selection of games to justify owning it next year at the earliest anyway.

It's only the first year as well, usually the first year it's scalpers getting their way. And then the console gets a price cut eventually and it kinda slows down. Each generation starts with this sort of situation. It's just gotten worse because scalpers have become more sophisticated and have utilized bots and other annoying tactics to get ahead of people just trying to get the console the legit and proper way. 

It's bad that stores have to put out signup's in order to be notified first when new stock comes in. I assume scalpers get in to these as well. 

I don't know how so many get away with it too. I think a lot of sites have implemented rules of "one console per person". Maybe it should be for each address for now. Hell, even some stores are charging for tickets to get first dibs on the consoles. That's kinda messed up. 

@Rain Dew contacted someone on CL today about a PS5 that they were selling. When she asked why they were selling it, they flat out told her that they were a scalper and trying to make money. I warned her that if she bought one from a scalper that I would throw it in the yard and put a shotgun shell through it. She wanted to to do, but I flat out told her NO. So we're still without, and we're going to stay that way until the scalpers are no longer an option. I don't tell her "no" like that often, but this time I put my foot down.

Funds aside, it's an ethics thing for me. I don't care how rich I am. If I was shitting quarters and wiping my ass with hundreds, I still wouldn't buy from a scalper. I don't care if they're selling it for $1 or $1,000. I'm not doing it. I don't care what you or the next person do. But for me, it's just not happening.

15 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

@Rain Dew contacted someone on CL today about a PS5 that they were selling. When she asked why they were selling it, they flat out told her that they were a scalper and trying to make money. I warned her that if she bought one from a scalper that I would throw it in the yard and put a shotgun shell through it. She wanted to to do, but I flat out told her NO. So we're still without, and we're going to stay that way until the scalpers are no longer an option. I don't tell her "no" like that often, but this time I put my foot down.

I admire you for standing up to this bullshit. Not gonna lie, I'm less sure I agree with the method, but weighing it up I still come out admiring you for it.

Eventually, the situation will ease up. I do wonder if this will sort of push the release of the next generation of consoles further back considering the majority of the playerbase won't have a PS5 or even a Series X for a year or two. 

Kudos to anyone holding out and not buying from a scalper. 100% agree with that

On 12/9/2021 at 7:07 PM, The Blackangel said:

That's smart. I mean to my knowledge, the console doesn't yet have a ton of games anyway, so I'm fine with waiting until I can get a legit PS5 from a legit store and not some jerk trying to overcharge me. Have patience, you'll find a PS5 in the wild eventually. If you haven't already, sign up to the waitlist that some sites are doing. At least you'll then be notified if a console is available for purchase. 

On 12/9/2021 at 7:38 PM, Head_Hunter said:

I wouldn't buy from scalpers either, the price gonna be too high for my budget. I'll simply wait for the funds to arrive at the appropriate time then see PS5 being readily available and not out of stock. 

Same here. You're only fueling them to keep scaling. They'll take that money, buy more consoles and then rinse and repeat until the next big product drops. It's just the way it goes sadly. 😞

6 hours ago, Darth said:

Eventually, the situation will ease up. I do wonder if this will sort of push the release of the next generation of consoles further back considering the majority of the playerbase won't have a PS5 or even a Series X for a year or two. 

Kudos to anyone holding out and not buying from a scalper. 100% agree with that

Oh it has to eventually. We're only over a year into this new generation, things will eventually die down. I imagine once a price drop happens, scalpers are going to move on most likely. At least I hope so. 

There will be deals down the road, and by the time we all get a PS5, it'll have a small library of great games ready for us to play. We can still get some life out of our old consoles for the time being, at least I know I can. 

53 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Same here. You're only fueling them to keep scaling. They'll take that money, buy more consoles and then rinse and repeat until the next big product drops. It's just the way it goes sadly. 😞

That's exactly the way scalpers go with any big product around that has gotten the minds of the public, they simply wants to take advantage of it, and sell costly. 

9 hours ago, Kane99 said:

That's smart. I mean to my knowledge, the console doesn't yet have a ton of games anyway, so I'm fine with waiting until I can get a legit PS5 from a legit store and not some jerk trying to overcharge me. Have patience, you'll find a PS5 in the wild eventually. If you haven't already, sign up to the waitlist that some sites are doing. At least you'll then be notified if a console is available for purchase.

Also if they say they will only meet in a public place, how will we even know if it works or not? Don't get me wrong, meeting in public is a smart way to go about it. But there's no way to prove whether the damn thing even works or not going about it that way.

With wait lists, I'm on a couple to be notified when one becomes available. I'm happy with my PS4 and Xbox One at the moment, but @Rain Dew desperately wants both a PS5 and an Xbox Series X. But I'm 98% strictly classic gamer anyway, so it matters little to nothing to me if/when they become easily available.

17 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

That's exactly the way scalpers go with any big product around that has gotten the minds of the public, they simply wants to take advantage of it, and sell costly. 

Yup. They are doing it with pretty much any type of gaming memorabilia, or anything collectible. Remember when McDonalds were giving out Pokemon cards recently? Well scalpers grabbed those all up. It happens for anything that relates to anything collectible. Which sucks, because if something I enjoyed as a kid makes a comeback at McDonalds, I would like to get my hands on one lol. 

And they will continue to do it until laws are in place or until rules and regulations are set up in stores that are a bit more stricter. 

9 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Also if they say they will only meet in a public place, how will we even know if it works or not? Don't get me wrong, meeting in public is a smart way to go about it. But there's no way to prove whether the damn thing even works or not going about it that way.

With wait lists, I'm on a couple to be notified when one becomes available. I'm happy with my PS4 and Xbox One at the moment, but @Rain Dew desperately wants both a PS5 and an Xbox Series X. But I'm 98% strictly classic gamer anyway, so it matters little to nothing to me if/when they become easily available.

True. They could easily pop in a fake or broken console and leave with a ton of cash. I'm sure many have been scammed like that. 😞 But I agree, meeting in public is exactly the best move to take. I would add, maybe asking to take a picture with the person just in case they do give you something broken or fake. 

I get that. I'm not even using the waiting lists myself. I don't expect to get one for a ways off yet anyway. I may be landing a new job here soon though, so I may have some more income to play around with. But I'm going to wait on the PS5 and Series X still. Don't feel the need to rush. I've been gaming on PC more as of late anyway, and honestly don't play anything on my Xbox One these days. I just use it for netflix, hbo and youtube now days. 

But, it's starting to look like the dual platform games are starting to fade away. Like, with how they were releasing games on PS4 and PS5. A lot of the recent reveals are only coming out on new gen, which is about time, considering this gen is on its first year already. 

29 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Yup. They are doing it with pretty much any type of gaming memorabilia, or anything collectible. Remember when McDonalds were giving out Pokemon cards recently? Well scalpers grabbed those all up. It happens for anything that relates to anything collectible. Which sucks, because if something I enjoyed as a kid makes a comeback at McDonalds, I would like to get my hands on one lol. 

And they will continue to do it until laws are in place or until rules and regulations are set up in stores that are a bit more stricter. 

Assume they get the collectibles and sell at an affordable rate with some profit, it could've been manageable. But this one, they simply collect and sell costly making the prices of those collectibles or consoles look very much expensive, whereas it isn't. 

Are you now suggesting we should lose hope on the availability of ps5? Don't you think that the pandemic might be one of the reason for this delay considering the fact that it has never been this scarce and this generation also never witnessed a global lockdown before.